UN WOMEN:PAPER-SMART PROJECT CONSULTANT
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||10-Oct-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||5 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||5 months|
The purpose of this assignment is to contribute to the work of the IGSD to support and service the Executive Board of UN Women in relation to the upcoming PaperSmart initiatives that will be used at the second regular session and subsequently to other sessions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Director of the IGSD, and the direct supervision of the Secretary of the Executive Board, the consultant will assist in the preparation and follow up of the Second regular session of the Executive Board 2012 and the first regular session of 2013 with a focus on ensuring that the PaperSmart sessions are run smoothly and in the most innovative manner. In particular, the consultant will work with the UN Secretariat Office of Information and Communication Technology and the UN-Women Communication and website divisions to ensure that the first papersmart session of the Executive Board runs smoothly and subsequently assist the Entity at large in its greening efforts.
- Assist the Secretary of the Executive Board (EB) in the overall paperSmart initiative preparations and follow-up for Executive Board sessions;
- Assist the Secretary in the overall planning of papersmart sessions, including the development of a clear workplan for the second regular session 2012 and the first regular session 2013 that will ensure the timeliness of the process, while liaising with all partners as appropriate.
- Act as focal point for all activities related to papersmart Executive Board sessions, especially in relation to the second regular session 2012 and first regular session 2013. This will include liaising with the UN Secretariat, other UN-Women relevant divisions and partners such as UNICEF which already went through the papersmart process.
- Assist in the papersmart planning, preparations and logistical support of EB second regular session. This includes uploading presentations and other documents onto the UN-Women paperssmart portal, sometimes in a real time manner. Ensure that all relevant actors of the EB sessions, i.e. member states, translators, staff members, etc have appropriate access to the papersmart portal;
- Ensure that all documents are made available to Member States in a timely manner on the papersmart portal and organize the print-on-demand system during the sessions;
- Ensure that lessons learned and best practices are gathered and analyzed from the UN-Women Executive Board papersmart initiative, so that it is beneficial for the other EB sessions and the whole Entity on a long term.
- Assist the Secretary in the preparations of other papersmart meetings such as informal pre-sessions;
- Perform any other task as requested.
|Skills and experience required: |
- Ability to plan and implement complex and innovative web-based initiatives;
- Ability to coordinate within UN-Women and with external partners with regards to launching papersmart sessions at the Executive Board;
- Extensive experience with websites and webportals;
- Experience in coordinating efficient flow of communications and information;
- Analytical skills and ability to draw lessons learned and best practices from innovative initiatives;
- Ability to perform and deliver results in a timely manner and within established deadlines;
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity;
- Experience of information management, including creation and maintenance of electronic databases;
- Fluent English, both written and oral;
- IT skills and presentation applications;
- Ability to use sound judgment and initiative;
- Team player with a solid understanding of the importance of efficient communications for the coordination and effective functioning of teams;
United Nations Competencies:
- The consultant will adhere to the United Nations’ core values, integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity, as well as its core competencies related to communication, teamwork, planning and organizing, creativity, commitment to continuous learning and technological awareness.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in Journalism, Communication, Public Relations, Social Sciences or related fields.
- Two years of relevant work experience in communication: print, web-based initiatives, broadcast, or interactive digital media, four years of which should be in developing countries, and two at the management level.
- Knowledge of contemporary development issues, developing country and programme exposure from field experience, and familiarity with gender equality and the empowerment of women issues and UN-Women.
- Fluency in English, another UN language an asset.
*A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.