UN WOMEN REPRESENTATIVE, MULTI-COUNTRY OFFICE - INDIA
||New Delhi, INDIA
|Application Deadline :||26-Nov-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-5|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year|
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The current UN Women South Asia Sub-Regional Office is evolving into a Multi-Country Office (MCO), hosted in India, which will oversee programming in India, Sri Lanka, Maldives and Bhutan. The MCO will continue to support South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC), ensuring close communication and cooperation within this partnership with the Regional Office and UN Women Country Offices in the South Asia Region. The MCO will also play a strategic role with support to the UN Women Regional Office in Bangkok in ensuring that the country offices formally under its remit are strengthened to receive full delegation of authority.
The UN Women Representative, MCO, India reports to the Director, Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific who provides managerial performance oversight, general direction and guidance. The UN Women Representative, MCO, India is responsible for leading and managing the Multi Country Office (MCO) portfolio (India, Sri Lanka, Maldives and Bhutan) and for translating UN Women's Strategic Plan (SP) in line with regional and national priorities, into development initiatives and results by developing, implementing and managing programs and projects for each country under the MCO; and developing effective partnerships with Government counterparts, UN system agencies and organizations, civil society organizations, and with bilateral and non-traditional donors in order to promote inter-agency partnerships, support for UN reform, and mobilization of visibility and resources to advance gender equality and women's empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Strategic Country Programme Management, Development and Planning
- Country Programme Management and Oversight
- UN Inter-Agency Coordination
- Representation and Advocacy
- Strategic Partnerships and Resource Mobilization
- Knowledge management
Strategic Program Management, Development and Planning:
Program Management and Oversight:
- Assess national social development trends and identify emerging issues of relevance to the mandate of UN Women to identify opportunities for development planning to advance UN Women goals and objectives in each of the countries under his/her supervision.
- In close consultation/collaboration with national development stakeholders and partners, identify strategic program opportunities, approaches and modalities to strengthen UN Women country presence and relevance.
- Lead the formulation, planning and preparation of the Multi Country SP, based on UN Women's SP and regional and national priorities, in collaboration/consultation with government, civil society, UN partners and stakeholders and the Regional Director, Regional Office and the Director of the Programme Division.
- Manage and ensure the completion of high quality, results-based and rights based country programs and projects. Oversee the appraisal and approval of UN Women programs in line with corporate guidelines and consistency with corporate policies and strategies.
UN InterAagency Ccoordination:
- Establish the MCO annual work plans in collaboration and discussion with UN Women staff and UNCT as appropriate and set objectives, performance measurements, standards and expected results. Ensure regular program monitoring and evaluate progress for timely action and intervention to achieve results.
- Lead UN Women staff in the MCO and in countries covered by the MCO. Set performance plans and evaluation standards for staff. Regularly conduct performance assessments, provide feedback and guidance to ensure optimum performance and accountability according to UN Women standards of integrity, ethics and accountability framework.
- Oversee, monitor and ensure quality control in the implementation of high quality, results-based and rights-based and relevant country programs and projects under the MCO in line with corporate policies, guidelines and strategies.
- Lead and manage the MCOs, human resources, budget preparation and submission processes to ensure budget proposals are correctly presented and submitted in a timely manner.
- Monitor the utilization of MCO allocated funds to ensure transparency and compliance with UN Women financial policies and accountability framework. Decide on the optimum and appropriate allocation and management of resources.
- Lead and manage the preparation of UN Women mandated country reports and submit timely reports ensuring relevancy, quality and appropriateness of content and presentation.
- Contribute to regular assessments of the regional, and country strategic plans and implementation plans and identify lessons learned and areas of emphasis to underpin consistently improved programming and future Strategic Plan development.
- Plan and manage monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects. Evaluate results and take appropriate action.
- Establish MCO security strategy, plan and measures to ensure the protection and security of UN Women staff, eligible dependents, property and operations and to enable effective program planning, implementation and delivery within the framework of all UN security policies and procedures.
Representation and Advocacy:
- Participate actively as a member of the UN Country Team (UNCT) in countries under the MCO to ensure that gender equality and women's empowerment issues are fully integrated into UN programming processes such as Comprehensive Country Assessment (CCA)/ UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), Country Programs, etc.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the UNCT in supporting enhanced response to national partners in advancing gender equality and women's empowerment and UN Reform.
- Support the coordination and promotion of accountability within the UN Resident Coordinator System to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment and UN Reform.
- Advise the UNCT on the implementation of key policy commitments to gender and women's rights.
- Partner with UN system and agencies to enhance collaboration, resource mobilization and joint ideas to influence agenda and priority setting.
- Actively seek out participation of UN Women in UN system thematic and other working groups to establish effective network and to keep abreast of ongoing debate and thinking on development, facilitate joint programming and promote UN Women competencies to advance gender equality and women's human rights.
Strategic Partnerships and Resource Mobilization:
- Represent UN Women in intergovernmental forums and other key meetings and events, as designated/appropriate to speak on policy issues, participate in policy dialogue, discuss policy initiatives, report on progress achieved and/or present policy papers/ideas to influence setting of agenda and/or advocate UN Women competencies and mandate.
- Represent UN Women in the UNCT to contribute to the mainstreaming of UN Women’s policies in joint programming and initiatives, under the leadership of the Resident Coordinator.
- Participate in regional, country and other critical meetings and events to evaluate the impact and efficacy of UN Women policies and programs and provide input in strategic discussions and provide technical advice on policies and programs.
- Advocate on behalf of UN Women to help raise awareness and stimulate action to advance gender equality and women's rights.
- Carry out ongoing advocacy to ensure that UN support towards realization of the national plans and priorities are done in a gender responsive manner, and within agreed international frameworks that promote and protect gender equality.
- Maintain active relationship/partnership with the Governments, NGOs, UN system and agency partners, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, regional commissions, institutes, academia and media/private sector on women's issues to enhance collaboration, resource mobilization and/or share ideas and to influence agenda and priority setting.
- Conceptualize, design and implement resource mobilization strategies for each country under the MCO.
- Plan and oversee the implementation public information and fund raising events for each country under the MCO.
- Introduce innovation and best practices to enhance program and operational performance.
- Collaborate with UN Women units and other internal and external development partners to identify and/or share best program and management practices.
- Lead and manage the process of developing, capturing, institutionalizing and disseminating lessons learned to build the capacity of clients and stakeholders and contribute to UN Women knowledge management efforts.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of global, regional and national knowledge networks and practices.
- Produce knowledge products to meet UN Women needs and standards of quality.
Impact of Results: The successful performance of the UN Women Representative of his/her key functions directly result in effective and strategic development, implementation and management of high quality country programs and projects and achievement of quality results which in turn directly impact on the credibility and image of UN Women as an effective and efficient partner and as the leading knowledge-based technical and advocacy organization for gender equality and the empowerment of women
|Core Values and Guiding Principles: |
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values:Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents.
- Organizational Awareness: Build support for the organization and ensure political acumen.
- Development and Innovation: Support staff competence development, and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation.
- Work in teams: Build and promote effective teams. Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communication and Information Sharing: Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication.Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Share knowledge across the organization and build a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Ensure fair and transparent decision making processes and manage risk.
- Proven managerial experience and skills (programmes, human and financial resources).
- Ability to conceptualize and convey strategic vision from the spectrum of development experience.
- Negotiation, advocacy and interpersonal skills
- Proven communications skills, both written and public speaking.
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong planning, goal-setting and prioritization skills.
- Effectiveness in establishing and fostering good relations with government counterparts, UN agencies, donors, and NGO partners.
- Effectiveness in strengthening accountability and results-based management in supporting organizational priorities, policy and decision-making processes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent in development related disciplines, economics or public policy or other social science fields.
- A minimum of 10 years of extensive development experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in aid development cooperation, some of which in gender and women’s issues programming, at the international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programs or UN Mission.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of an additional UN official language will be an asset.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.