CONSULTANT - RESEARCH SPECIALIST
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||13-Nov-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||3 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||3 months (renewable)|
|UNDP is currently preparing its next Strategic Plan (SP, 2014-17) and is looking for a capable Research Specialist who can support the Drafting Group. The assignment provides an opportunity to learn about the strategic planning process in a major international organisation and contribute meaningfully to its future plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake and back-stop others on data collection, analysis and presentation. This will require a thorough and extensive look at sources (UNDP, other international organisations, think tanks, consulting firms, ratings agencies and investment banks, among others), compilation of a bibliography of data sources, basic statistical analysis to look at trends and distributions, and presentation of data in various formats (tabular and graphic).
- Write/edit a series of short ‘fact sheets’ that consolidate the evidence base for the next SP across both internal and external issues, working closely with designated UNDP staff-members.
- Fact-check data (sources and accuracy).
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervising manager.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to support strategic planning, management and reporting;
- Builds strong relationship with team members and clients;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Adaptability and flexibility in working in complex and dynamic environment.
Required Skills and Experience
- This assignment requires an individual with either a completed Master’s Degree or on break from Master’s degree course in one of the social sciences. A focus on economics or international development will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated capacity for in-depth research and analysis, including use of basic statistical tools and good writing skills, are a requirement.
- Work experience with an international organisation/foundation/ company will be an asset.
- Good spoken and written English is essential.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.