ADMINISTRATIVE ASSOCIATE (HDRO RESEARCH UNIT)
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||10-Dec-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-6|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year (renewable)|
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Internally advertised General Service (GS) fixed-term appointment (FTA) positions located in Headquarters are open to GS staff members currently serving in New York/Washington D.C. who hold a UNDP permanent or FTA who are either US Permanent Residents, US citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Externally advertised GS fixed-term appointment and temporary appointment (TA) positions located in New York/Washington D.C. are open to candidates who are either US Permanent Residents, US Citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Current UNDP GS staff serving outside of HQ must meet the eligibility criteria stated above prior to their application.
Selected candidates who meet the above mentioned eligibility criteria are responsible for their own travel and/or relocation costs.
Selection to GS fixed-term appointment positions at Headquarters requires passing a UN administered clerical test (ASAT).
Applicants under serious consideration for short-listing of posts requiring accountancy and finance skills, must take the UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test (UNDP AFT) prior to short-listing.
The Human Development Report Office is responsible for the development of the annual UNDP flagship report, the human development report. It is prepared by an internal team, the development report research and data team (“research team” in short) under the overall guidance of the HDRO director on the basis of a series of consultation with UNDP colleagues, experts, policy makers, statistical entities and other relevant partners, a series of commissioned studies and expert seminars. An publication and translation team is responsible for the actual production and launch of the report and other outreach activities.
Under the supervision of the Senior Policy Advisor, the staff member will support the “research team” in accomplishing its work plan and in producing the Global Human Development Report and other products. In undertaking the exercise, the staff member will undertake the following tasks:
Duties and Responsibilities
(45%) Provides Support to the substantive work of HDR “research team” focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Smooth liaising with UNDP offices to solicit their input to the HDR under preparation through drafting and sending invitations to participants (heads of bureaux, RCs, Executive Office), timely documents circulation and follow up to enable timely feedback; supports the convening of internal consultations and seminars.
- Smooth liaising with external partners contributing to the HDR through substantive support to the logistical planning and preparation of consultations, seminars and other organized by “the research team”. This entails in particular being the focal point for the logistic arrangements of the meetings (New York and elsewhere). Drafting basic correspondence and sending invitations, follow up with invitees regarding their participation, including travel arrangements (see also below), identifying and reserving appropriate venue, arranging catering, technical support for presentations, etc.
- Smooth logistical conduct of other “research team’ organised through support for the preparation and be the focal point for the logistic arrangements of occasional seminars and brainstorms, such as interagency consultations; special expert meetings, workshops or in-house meetings organized throughout the year.
- Appropriately formatted external correspondence, including letters, invitations, etc.; preparation of documentation including through basic lay-out and photocopying.
(25%) Supports substantively the procurement processes for the team through the following activities in the UNDP Online Administrative System (ATLAS):
- Preparation of requisition plan for the unit;
- Preparation of requisitions and Purchase Orders (PO) in Atlas;
- Creation in Atlas of vendor set-up information;Buyers profile;
- Support to team members in preparing submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP);
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase Orders are duly prepared and dispatched, as well as timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Liaising with team members and follow up on contracts for consultants and vendors in collaboration with supervisors and help ensure timely payment;
- Review and ascertain whether procurement documentation is in conformity with project objectives, fund availability and in line with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Support the unit in preparing long lists of consultants for selection by supervisor and compile supporting documents, and
- Preparing supporting documents of funds and activities.
(15%) Provides support to the administration of budgets and financial management for the team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of the HDR preparation budget against the office wide budget (centralized budget) and advise to the Senior Policy Advisor on necessary revisions, regularly reviewing ATLAS IPSAS financial reports;
- Timely revisions to the HDR preparation budget as appropriate;
- As appropriate, preparation of donor financial reports based on regular monitoring of donor contributions in ATLAS and prepare financial reporting;
- Smooth and timely liaising with the Operations Manager on the HDR preparation budget, including monitoring of the project delivery, keeping track of all consultants and vendors and keeping the Senior Policy Advisor informed about the budget including potential problems;
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for projects;
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents;
- Provision of the information for the audit;
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for projects, register of goods receipt in Atlas, and
- Making budget check for requisitions and POs.
(15%) Provides Administrative Support for the Research Team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Appropriate and timely travel arrangements for the team, including through coordination with other travel partners from the internal or external environment. Prepares travel authorizations and other travel-related documents;
- Up-to-date G-4 visas, Laisser-Passers, Ground Passes, etc. by monitoring their expiry date and taking timely action
- (As per above) appropriate travel arrangements for invited external participants to meetings and events – as well as other team-selected contributing researchers, designers and other contractors, as instructed, in consultation with HDRO Operations unit, Travel Section and American Express; initiate follow-up action to expedite such travel or troubleshoot any problems;
- Fully-up-to date filing systems for correspondence and other documents handled or addressed to the team;
- Timely purchases and logging of academic literature requested by the director or research team,
- Drafting or redirects correspondence and enquires addressed oto the team;
- Timely review and prioritize all incoming correspondence, e-mail and phone messages for the Senior Policy Advisor and initiate appropriate actions to be taken;
- Timely follows up on routine actions and deadlines of activities involving the team input;
- Appropriate administrative support that the team may need including when the senior policy advisor is absent;
- Use of 5% official work time for self-learning (with priority to UNDP mandatory courses).
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through collaboration;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others (Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member),and
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning, and
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Client Orientation: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients,and
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches: Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches, and
- Responds positively to new approaches.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Business Administration, Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of experience in administrative or programme assistant experience is required at the national or international level.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) as well as in-depth knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Experience in supporting project management in terms of the planning and implementation of projects, managing budgets and other related data, and reporting.
- Good knowledge of UNDP policies and practices is an advantage
- Fluency in English and other UN languages is an asset.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.