UN WOMEN: WEB DEVELOPMENT CONSULTANT
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||31-Dec-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Management and Administration Division is responsible for the planning, allocation and management of financial, human and administrative resources including information systems and telecommunications, the effective and efficient delivery of essential operations services in UN Women, continuous development and improvement in operations, policies, and methods to align with UN Women and stakeholders’ evolving business needs and advisory support to the Executive Director in the formulation and implementation of the UN Women overall mission, strategy and plans of actions.
The Information Systems and Telecommunication (IST) Office located in the Division of Management and Administration, is responsible for the strategic planning and development of information and telecommunication systems and services, ICT solutions, sourcing of information systems and equipment to support business needs and for the maintenance, availability, reliability and quality of performance of information and telecommunications systems and services globally in all UN Women offices. The IST office works closely and collaboratively with UNDP, its principal ICT partner to achieve synergy, avoid duplication and to take advantage of potentials for partnerships in information and telecommunications systems and services development and implementation including the PeopleSoft-ERP system.
Duties and Responsibilities
This consultant reports to the Manager Business Application, Information Systems and Telecommunications (IST) office and the incumbent is responsible for the architecture, design and implementation of activities related to systems development including integration and maintenance of the UN Women content management system, , web sites and the database applications.
This includes the following deliverables:
- Design and development of Gender datawarehouse application to store and analyze gender-related data from all the UN system entities and produce a range of materials, including: statistical web annexes, projections on the attainment of parity, factsheets, presentations and substantive input for inter-agency meetings. This will require extensive data collection from all entities and detailed quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Design and development of database system for the collection and presentation of constitutional reforms for gender related reforms in different countries for internal and public usage.
- Design and development of Secretary General’s database on violence against women using UN Women web development platform
- Design and development of CSW registration database system using UN Women web development environment
For each of the deliverables, the functions required may include
Systems analysis and design
- Elicit, analyze, specify and validate business requirements
- Develop software and hardware specifications of UN Women business applications and content management systems;
- Develop and translate business requirements into application functionality, specifications, and test plans
- Monitor infrastructural components of UN Women information systems and suggest options to improve designs
- Liaising with staff in business units, external IT specialists, UN Women governing bodies and provide specialized advice to users
- Develop business systems documentation
- Maintain effective communications with end users
Apply rapid development and iterative prototyping to complex software problems
System development and maintenance
- Develop and maintain UN Women business applications using the .NET technologies, SiteCore and SQL/ Server.
- Develop web pages and make configuration as needed to enhance content management system and web sites.
- Perform impact analysis and change control and manages implementation of the changes in liaison with internal and external stakeholders;
- Develop and maintain interface modules between different UN Women business applications
- Coordinate with outsourced company developers about the requirements to the system changes/ development, discussing technical issues and getting the solution as per agreed contracts.
Standard and Quality Assurance
- Develop, implement and monitor information standards and guidelines
- Ensure that software code adhere to the standards including the applications security aspects
- Provide advice on use of new techniques, monitoring transactions between the systems to measure performance and continued effectiveness;
- Ensuring data security and access controls considering both local and wide area issues.
- Coordinating with the ICT Infrastructure Team on the appropriate hardware/software platform in order to improve the performance and stability of UN Women’s systems
- Researching and analyzing new technologies and making suggestions for their deployment.
- Participate in elaboration of internal procedures, mechanisms and controls to ensure stability, improved quality, security and performance of systems
- Coordinating efforts to develop and maintain the library of system documentation and internal user manuals, training materials, and guidelines and making recommendations on improvements.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Demonstrated proficiency to have analytical ability and thorough understanding of software development life cycle processes
- Knowledge of information technology platforms for web based database systems
- Actively seeks to apply current expertise and new ideas on how to optimize use of technology to streamline workloads.
- Able to identify and analyze clients' needs and develop appropriate technology solutions to meet business requirements; desire to organize and improve processes.
Planning and Organization
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and produce output that is accurate, timely and of high quality.
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities
- Able to speak and write clearly and effectively, including to: advise and train users on the use of complex systems/applications and related matters;
- Prepare specifications and other written reports/documentation in a clear and concise style.
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Computer or Information Systems or related area.
- Additional certification related to Software development and project management is desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in information and communication technology, particularly in systems analysis, database design, programming, application integration and data manipulation. Experience should include:
- A good understanding of Design Patterns, such as MVC, Repository, Unit of Work, Builder and factory etc.
- Experience with database design and modeling, stored procedures, with a SQL Server background
- Experience in XML, Web Services and related technologies
- Proven experience with software development projects, with proven ability to manage medium to large technical projects involving internal and external (outsourced) teams.
- A solid understanding of Content Management Systems and developing Information Architectures for such systems.
- Experience in developing and configuring solutions for SiteCore
- Experience with SharePoint will be a plus
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- Knowledge of another UN language is an asset
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.