UN WOMEN: BUSINESS ANALYST/PEOPLESOFT CONSULANT
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||14-Dec-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Management and Administration Division is responsible for the planning, allocation and management of financial, human and administrative resources including information systems and telecommunications, the effective and efficient delivery of essential operations services in UN Women, continuous development and improvement in operations, policies, and methods to align with UN Women and stakeholders’ evolving business needs and advisory support to the Executive Director in the formulation and implementation of the UN Women overall mission, strategy and plans of actions.
The Information Systems and Telecommunication (IST) Office located in the Division of Management and Administration, is responsible for the strategic planning and development of information and telecommunication systems and services, ICT solutions, sourcing of information systems and equipment to support business needs and for the maintenance, availability, reliability and quality of performance of information and telecommunications systems and services globally in all UN Women offices. The IST office works closely and collaboratively with UNDP, its principal ICT partner to achieve synergy, avoid duplication and to take advantage of potentials for partnerships in information and telecommunications systems and services development and implementation including the PeopleSoft-ERP system.
UN Women is mainly using Financials, Procurement, and Human Capital Management modules of PeopleSoft-ERP system. PeopleSoft-ERP is a shared services used by 6 UN agencies including UN Women, which is provided and maintained by UNDP partner agency.
As of 1 January 2012, UN Women has adopted the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) in the area of financial transactional recording and reporting. The goal of IPSAS is to harmonize financial reporting practices and to improve the comparability of financial statements across and beyond the UN system.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of Chief IST Office and direct supervision of Manager Business Applications, the incumbent is responsible for managing simple to complex projects related to PeopleSoft/ ERP system, working with stakeholders to define business requirements, developing functional specifications, working with technical team/ vendor to deliver system enhancements and support for the PeopleSoft system.
This includes the following deliverables:
Fit/Gap analysis of Atlas configurations vs. UN Women business requirements and device an action plan to align Atlas with UN Women’s needs
- Review of the PeopleSoft configuration utilized by UN Women
- Review of UN Women business processes
- Conduct fit/gap analysis of PeopleSoft configuration versus UN Women business needs
- Provide recommendations for changes in configuration and adoption of additional PeopleSoft functionality to better support UN Women business needs
- Review of UN Women programme and project management processes
- Review of PeopleSoft configuration and PeopleSoft utilization in support of programme and project management processes
- Conduct detailed fit/gap analysis of PeopleSoft grants-module and project-module configuration versus UN Women business needs to identify whether the current configuration supports the business process described in UN Women’s programme manual.
- Review how PeopleSoft can best meet UN Women’s current and future reporting needs
- Review options for aggregating data across UN Women programmes and projects
- Review options for building actionable business dashboards.
- Compare UN Women’s PeopleSoft configuration with other partner agencies using the same PeopleSoft instance.
- The output will be comprehensive specifications that provide functional direction and recommendations for improvement in UN Women’s utilization of PeopleSoft
Review of UN Women internal support of Atlas and recommended structure of UN Women Atlas competency center
- Review existing capacity within UN Women for supporting the Atlas system
- Liaise with other partner agencies to gather lessons learned and best practices in maintaining and enhancing the Atlas system
- Review industry best practices for ERP maintenance and support
- Provide comprehensive recommendation of future structure of UN Women Atlas Competency Center and required resources
Rollout of Atlas e-Recruit system for UN Women
- Manage rollout, adoption, and utilization
- Define training requirements and conduct training
- Develop product documentation including user guides; implementation guides and product information are maintained and up to date.
- Develops presentations for business community.
- Identify and communicate risk appropriately.
- Develop metrics that track adoption rates and adoption success rate
- Communicate status, solutions and concerns.
- Disseminate information in a timely manner within the team and across functions.
Plan and deploy business intelligence solution for UNW reporting requirements (OBIEEE and EPM Data warehouse)
- Work with internal business stakeholders to define business requirements, processes and related business rules
- Develop functional specifications and high-level prototypes
- Participate in cross-functional team meetings for the resolution of business and system issues and process alternatives
- Develop and validates use cases, integration test plan and scripting.
- Follow up with vendors and UNDP IT team to ensure progress and timely delivery.
- Design and develop queries/ reports for UN Women needs using OBIEE tool
Impact of Results:
The results of the functions performed directly impact the efficiency of the ERP system used to support the UN Women business, covering around 1100 staff in HQ and field.
The effective implementation of ERP system directly impacts the organization's capacity and credibility in providing timely and quality information to achieve organizational goals
The results of these functions indirectly impact: the ability of UN Women staff to provide timely and quality services to its key clients; the production and distribution of management information to Senior Management; and the preparation of results reports.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Demonstrated proficiency to have analytical ability and thorough understanding of software development life cycle processes
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft-ERP system
- Actively seeks to apply current expertise and new ideas on how to optimize use of technology to streamline workloads.
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to clearly and concisely express ideas both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that build trust and instill confidence in order to motivate and influence others.
- Ability to take initiative to identify, prioritize and implement all elements required for team to fulfill responsibilities in accordance with core strategic goals.
- Strong problem solving skills, including ability to effectively address any issue in collaboration with others as appropriate; ability to proactively identify and prevent potential problems; ability to help develop problem solving skills among peers and other team members as appropriate.
- Ability to work well under pressure and effectively handle multiple, concurrent demands and appropriately prioritize responsibilities.
- Ability to collaborate with others and act in an objective manner in order to effectively solve problems and stay on track towards accomplishing organizational goals.
- Able to identify and analyze clients' needs and develop appropriate technology solutions to meet business requirements; desire to organize and improve processes.
Planning and Organization
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and produce output that is accurate, timely and of high quality.
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities
- Able to speak and write clearly and effectively, including to: advise and train users on the use of complex systems/applications and related matters;
- Prepare specifications and other written reports/documentation in a clear and concise style.
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in information technology, computer science, business administration or other related discipline with five (5) years’ experience or Bachelor's Degree with additional specialized relevant experience of seven (7) years
- Strong Knowledge of PeopleSoft including Financials 9.X General Ledger (GL) and Commitment Control (KK) modules
- Knowledge of multiple modules within in the areas of Procure To Pay (Purchasing, eProcurement, Accounts Payable, Asset Management), Revenue Management (Contracts, Grants, Accounts Receivable, Billing), Travel & Expense, Treasury, or Project Management.
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) or Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE)
- Working knowledge of PeopleTools
- Knowledge of any industry standard Software Development Lifecycle Methodologies (SDLCs) such as Waterfall, Agile, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of IPSAS accounting standards and practices. United States, Canadian, or United Kingdom Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) is also acceptable.
- Consulting experience an international consulting organization is desired
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in another UN working language is desirable.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.