SPECIALIST (REPORTS AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT), EXECUTIVE BOARD SECRETARIAT
||New York, USA, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||20-Dec-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One (1) Year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||One (1) year (renewable)|
|The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) leads and supports the UNDP in cultivating, building and nurturing strategic relationships and alliances that are essential for advancing and successfully achieving the mission of UNDP, that includes partnership development, resource mobilization, communications and governance.
To carry out its responsibilities, BERA has a Directorate and four clusters: Communications Cluster (CC); Innovation and Development Alliances Cluster (IDAC), Resource Partnerships Clusters (RPC), Multilateral Affairs and UN Coherence Cluster (MAUCC). The MDG-Fund Secretariat is also housed in BERA. In addition, BERA has Representation Offices in 5 major donor capitals and in collaboration with Regional Bureaus, manages 2 UNDP Centres in Istanbul and Seoul.
The Executive Board secretariat (EBS) within MAUCC, facilitates the work of the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board. The Executive Board is made up of representatives from 36 countries around the world who serve on a rotating basis. EBS is responsible with managing the relationship with the Executive Board and the Bureau of the Board (consisting of representatives from five regional groups) throughout the year including, coordination and preparation of the annual work plan for the Board and agendas for each session; serving as liaison between Board members and in-house units and providing substantive and procedural guidance to Board members. EBS is responsible for scheduling and managing documentation, including editing all documentation for sessions and providing all administrative, logistical and substantive support to the Executive Board in carrying out its mandate.
Under the guidance and primary supervision of the Secretary of the Executive Board Secretariat, the Reports/Knowledge Management Specialist provides policy advice, writes and edits substantive reports, interprets Board legislation and monitors corporate priorities, based on knowledge of development issues of relevance to UNDP and the UNDP/UNFPA/UNFPA Executive Board.
Under the guidance of the Secretary of the Executive Board and in close consultation with the Cluster Team Leader and Team Managers, the Reports/Knowledge Management Specialist coordinates the knowledge management, including web management, both substance and process, for the entire Cluster.
Impact of Results:
The incumbent drafts, edits and revises Executive Board related documents, in accordance with United Nations standards, to ensure that documents meet the needs of the Executive Board and secretariat; are produced by the deadlines and are edited to the highest standards. These decisions have a major impact on the ability of the Executive Board to understand and take decisions.
In his/her knowledge management capacity, the incumbent will ensure that the MAUCC website is operational supporting information sharing, exchanging knowledge, and promoting the work of UNDP in the areas under MAUCC.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Summary of key functions:
Write and Edit policy and other substantive documents for the Executive Board sessions:
- Write and Edit policy and other substantive documents for the Executive Board sessions;
- Provide effective internal and external communications of the Bureau for External Relations and Advocacy and the Executive Board Secretariat on related issues, statements and documents; and
- Provide information, knowledge and web support to the Multilateral Affairs & UN Coherence Cluster.
- Reviews, analyzes and edits policy and budget documents and draft country programmes in English and French or Spanish for Executive Board secretariat during peak work periods preceding January, June and September sessions. Assists in the co-ordination and preparation of the official reports of each EB session;
- Based on critical analysis of substantive material, writes all reports in the Executive Board secretariat, including reports on sessions, session highlights, reports on field visits, joint reports with United Nations agencies, conference room papers and reports at the bureau level; and
- Analyses critical issues before the Executive Board and for the President of the Bureau of the Executive Board, summarizing important issues raised at each Board session and identifying potentially contentious issues under each item.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling United Nations values and ethical standards.
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to provide policy advise, report writing and editing at the international level;
- Possesses specialized experience in proceedings of UNDP/UNFPA executive Board at the international level;
- Ability to write, edit and communicate clearly and persuasively. Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Excellent organizational, research and analytical skills;
- Excellent negotiating and problem solving skills, as well as proven team building ability; and
- Demonstrates strong IT skills.
Management and Leadership:
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Focuses on impact and result for the client;
- Ability to work closely with others, especially people of varied cultural backgrounds, at all levels;
- Shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to effectively plan and prioritize;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; and
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
Provide effective internal and external communication of BERA and EBS on related issues, statements and documents:
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to Executive Board Secretariat and Bureau initiatives;
- Demonstrates strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing helpful feedback and advice to others in the office; and
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more professional areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Provide information, knowledge and web support to the Multilateral Affairs & UN Coherence Cluster:
- Advises the Secretary of the Executive Board on actions to take in light of input by delegations and the results of debates at Executive Board sessions, specifically with regard to Board reaction, requisite follow-up on specific issues, and future reporting requirements;
- Provides substantive support to the Director and the Deputy Director of BERA, specifically in report writing, preparing briefs and other related activities for the respective divisions in BERA, as required;
- Provides assistance with various follow-up actions pursuant to the System-wide Coherence Resolution (i.e. governance, UN Women, common country programmes, etc.) as well as actions required with the adoption of the resolution on the name change of the UNDP/UNFPA Executive Board (to include UNOPS);and
- Prepares briefing notes of informal consultations and other relevant meetings of the Executive Board.
- Coordinates/manages the development and launch of the MAUCC technical website to facilitate the dissemination and exchange of knowledge and information related to the areas of work covered by MAUCC;
- Identifies, evaluates and recommends new web-based tools and technology and follow-up on installation and implementation to maintain the website as an effective platform for communication, information and knowledge sharing.
- Develops, populates and maintains the MAUCC webpage;
- Collaborates with web developers to plan site architecture and elements;
- Maintains website with up-to-date content and liaises with Team Leader and Team Managers to produce or identify key content; and Monitors and evaluates knowledge management activities and makes adjustments and improvements as needed.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advance University degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in a development-related field and/or information management-management related discipline with relevance to UNDP work.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in writing, reviewing and editing policy briefs and documents, and in providing policy advice, preferably within the United Nations system as well as experience with information technology ;
- Excellent drafting and communication skills in English and ability to draft and edit in French or Spanish essential;
- Familiarity with the rules of procedure and legislation of the UNDP/UNFPA Executive Board, as well as the UNDP Programming Manual;
- Excellent technical skills applying technology in information management
- Fluency in the English and French or Spanish.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.