UN WOMEN: PROGRAMME MANAGER
|Application Deadline :||03-Jan-13|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-5|
|Languages Required :||
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In partnership with the European Commission (EC), UN Women is launching a flagship regional programme to advance the economic empowerment of women in the Southern Mediterranean region and to assist them to reposition themselves in the political and decision making spaces in their respective countries. In addition to country-level interventions, the programme will work at the regional level through several initiatives including the establishment of a knowledge hub on women’s economic empowerment and political participation which will generate knowledge products, facilitate experience-sharing, and provide the technical assistance to the region.
UN Women is seeking to recruit a Programme Manager for the day-to-day management, implementation, and effectiveness of the Regional Programme. In particular, s/he is responsible for the monitoring and review of the Regional Programme portfolio, work-plans and budget, for preparing reports as required by donor and UN Women management, and to mobilize resources as needed. The Programme Manager is responsible for facilitating linkages between the work of the Country Offices, Regional Office and UN Women HQ teams. In addition, the Programme Manager will provide strategic advice on the programme implementation in close consultation with the Global Programme Steering Committee and Country Steering Committees.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Arab States Regional Director, and in close consultation with the UN Women Programme Division at HQ, the Programme Manager will fulfill the following functions:
- Oversee the implementation of the regional programme
- Facilitate knowledge product generation, sharing and management
- Establish and support partnerships within and beyond UN system
- Support the management of programme staff as requested by the Regional Director.
Oversee the implementation of the Regional Programme
- Develop annual action plans, provide overall advice, guidance and supervision of programme activities, and technical support throughout the programme cycle.
- Periodically update the overall programme framework on the basis of reviews, lessons learned and best practices derived from different thematic areas and evaluations.
- Define appropriate modalities of execution, implementation, partnership and funding for the programme.
- Implement the monitoring and evaluation framework for the regional programme, with specific and measurable indicators.
- Ensure that all programming under the regional programme is monitored, reviewed and evaluated according to UN Women procedures.
- Provide top quality policy advice to the country offices and facilitate knowledge building and management.
- Conduct thorough analysis and research of the political and economic situation in the region and prepare substantive inputs to support country offices to input into briefing notes and other policy documents.
- Analyze and identify interagency and intergovernmental processes relevant to the programme for visibility and advocacy purposes.
- Supervise the preparation of aggregate delivery reports.
Facilitation of knowledge networking and management
- In coordination with UN Women Country Offices in the region, ensure that knowledge is retrieved from the implementation of country action plans through periodic reporting, meetings, analysis of documents produced, lessons learned exercises, and other means.
- Ensure that this knowledge is documented and systematized and fed back into programme development including by contributing to the regional knowledge hub as well as networks both within UN Women and beyond.
- Supervise the development and production of publications and other knowledge products on women’s political participation and economic empowerment in close coordination with the UN Women HQ teams.
Establish and support partnerships within and beyond the UN system
- In the context of UN Women’s lead role in Gender Equality, support the development of strategic partnerships and alliances with other UN organisations, multilateral organisations, regional organisations, academic and technical organisations; contribute to the negotiations in establishing such partnerships, drafting of agreements and monitoring their implementation.
- Ensure close co-operation with other UN Women teams; develop alliances and working partnerships (thematic, advocacy, regional resource facilities, etc.),
- Identify and develop resource mobilization opportunities in support of the regional programme.
- Through the global and country level Programme Steering Committees, maintain ongoing communications with the EC on the implementation of the programme and provide regular updates and opportunities for the EC’s substantive input for the implementation of the programme
- Monitor, analyze and maintain an overview of the progress of project implementation to ensure that timely technical, managerial and administrative support is provided to all the country offices.
- Supervise the regional programme staff
- Provide oversight on the contracting of project services to implementing agencies, ensuring compliance with UN procedures;
- Review financial reports in accordance with UN Women procedures and submit the reports to UN Women HQ and donors in a timely manner;
- Oversee the release of funds to counterparts, liquidation of funds and other processes;
- Liaise with appropriate officers of the partner UN, government and donor agencies, monitor and make necessary arrangement for the timely flow of project funds to the country offices;
Impact of Results:
The key results will have a decisive impact through the achievement of the programme objectives in empowering women politically and economically to ensure women's active and meaningful engagement in public life and decision making spaces; and enhancing regional knowledge and experience-sharing on women's political and economic rights.
The programme will also have impact on the capacity of the UN system to support country offices in the design and implementation of strategies and activities that contribute to gender equality and women’s empowerment in the region. At the same time, the results will facilitate joint coordinated action by UN programmes, funds and specialized agencies and other partners.
Core values and Guiding principles:
Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Professionalism:Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents
- Organizational Awareness: Build support for the organization and ensure political acumen
- Development and Innovation: Support staff competence development, and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation
- Work in teams: Build and promote effective teams. Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communication and Information Sharing: Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Share knowledge across the organization and build a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: fair and transparent decision making processes and manage risk
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice.
- Ability in strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Ability to produce concise and easy to understand text on complex issues.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with high-level decision-makers and to develop productive partnerships.
- Excellent networking skills.
- Background in working on political participation and economic empowerment issues.
- Successful track record in promoting women’s human rights and gender equality in professional capacity.
- Experience in programme design, coordination and implementation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's Degree in Social Sciences, Gender Studies, Political Sciences, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics or related field.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of women empowerment projects.
- In-depth knowledge of gender issues in the Arab States region.
- Familiarity with the United Nations System and UN Women is an asset.
- Previous experience with UN processes, including those related to women’s empowerment and gender equality.
- Written and oral proficiency in English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.