||New York, USA, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||24-Jan-13|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One (1) year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||One (1) year (renewable)|
UNDP’s Communications Cluster is part of the Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA). It is the lead office for communications. It provides policy guidance develops and implements global communications strategies to reach the media and other key constituencies with UNDP’s core messages.
The News and Media Team includes a group of communications specialists, an audio/visual unit, as well as a writer/editor. The News and Media Team ensures that communications activities and outreach efforts are aligned with corporate communications strategies and initiatives, including support to global outreach campaigns and to the launches of UNDP flagship publications (HDR and other key reports).
Reporting to the Team Leader of the News and Media team, the Communications Specialist works as part of a New York-based team whose primary responsibility is to position UNDP’s work in priority areas worldwide. These priority areas are: poverty reduction and MDGs; democratic governance; energy and environment; crisis prevention and recovery. The portfolio of all Communications Specialists in the team also includes a regional dimension, with regular contacts between Team members and their counterparts in Regional Bureaus, as well as close interaction with Communications Advisers serving in the regions.
The Communications Specialist advises and provides technical support to UNDP/HQ Bureaus and the Executive Office on communications initiatives and media relations, including activities in connection with the roll-out of global campaigns and the launch of flagship and other corporate publications. He/she helps with the overall positioning of the Administrator and Associate Administrator; he/she also plans communications activities and media coverage for other UNDP senior managers as required.
The Communications Specialist drafts a range of materials, including talking points for senior managers, press releases & advisories, news briefs, fact sheets for inclusion in media kits and further public outreach. The incumbent also drafts and/or edits op-eds for senior managers and ensures strategic placement in international and/or local media.
The Communications Specialist builds and maintains a network of contacts with the media, including corporate contacts of individuals, groups, organizations and media outlets.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on creation of effective communications and dissemination of information on UNDP as UN’s global development network. In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNDP communications strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications, media and outreach
- Advice, support and oversight of communications tactics around corporate priority areas
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Support, manage and implement the corporate communications strategy focusing on achieving the following results:
- Elaborate, plan and implement communications strategies to enhance the strategic positioning of UNDP;
- Identify opportunities for press conferences; facilitate interviews with senior managers and experts;
- Develop and maintain a close working relations with the media (national, regional and international) to help position UNDP to achieve its strategic goals;
- Draft and/or edit and disseminate press releases, advisories, fact-sheets, press/media kits and updated information and stories to inform media, key partners and the general public of UNDP programming initiatives, results and successes, and other achievements;
- Identify and develop creative opportunities up to increase awareness of UNDP and its priority areas, using traditional and new media;
- Clear, consistent and timely responses to media inquiries; issuance of statements and corporate positions to media and other external audiences;
- In close collaboration with Regional Communications Advisers and Communications Officers in Country Offices, plan and organize media activities for the Administrator, Associate Administrator and missions by top managers from Regional and other Bureaus, including arrangements for interviews and press conferences.
Provide advice and support to UNDP for enhanced communications and media outreach, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Provide advice and technical support provided to UNDP/HQ Bureaus in developing communications activities and initiatives;
- Provide advice to UNDP/HQ Bureaus on communications tactics and media outreach as part of the roll-out of global campaigns and/or launching of flagship and other corporate publications and products.
- Provide support on reputation management issues.
Strengthen internal capacity for communications and media outreach, and provide quality assurance, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Maintain and nurture strategic partnerships with communications counterparts at other UN agencies, and with external media networks, strengthening internal capacity for media outreach and technical expertise;
- Knowledge sharing with UNDP Bureaus and communications counterparts in Country Offices through participation in training, communications workshops, retreats and/or corporate regional meetings.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Demonstrates very good understanding of communications and outreach at the international level;
- Demonstrated ability to build and nurture strong relations with the media (national and international);
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective communications strategies;
- Demonstrated experience with social media and other multimedia tools to position and promote communications activities;
- Outstanding oral and written communications and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Proven ability to position issues effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Very strong organizational and planning skills with very effective multi-tasking skills;
- Proven networking skills, and ability to generate interest in UNDP;
- Good computer skills, including databases and office software packages;
- Familiarity with UNDP/UN system and development issues;
- Focuses on impact and results for the client; Identifies opportunities and builds strong relationships with clients and partners;
- Interacts effectively with all levels of the organization, including senior management; and
- Participates effectively in team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in communications, journalism, international relations, social science or development-related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience at the international level in media, communications or advocacy. Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of a second UN language
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.