POLICY SPECIALIST, MANAGEMENT
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||25-Jan-13|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 year|
UNDP, the global development network for the United Nations system, is on the ground in 166 countries and is uniquely equipped to help developing countries build sustainable capacity to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
The Bureau for Development Policy (BDP) provides the substantive support for UNDP's work in four thematic ("practice") areas: Democratic Governance; Poverty Reduction; Energy and Environment; and HIV/AIDS and 2 cross-cutting areas of Gender and Capacity Development. Across all of these practices, UNDP seeks to strengthen national and local capacities while promoting human rights and gender equality. Each practice works in response to demand from developing countries through analysis, policy advice and support for knowledge networking and sharing of good practices, as well as advocacy, alliance building and promotion of frameworks on key issues.
The Policy Specialist works in the BDP Directorate and contributes to the strategic coordination and facilitation of the BDP Directorate`s office. The Policy Specialist works under direct supervision of the Special Advisor to Director and close cooperation with other BDP thematic practices and operations team.
He/she supports the BDP`s strategy in partnership building and resource mobilization for various programmatic areas, he/she supports strengthening of BDP`s position towards donors and partners, introduces relevant tools and procedures and coordinates their implementation, systematically collects and analyses donor intelligence, he/she serves as main focal point for the relations between BDP and Executive Office covering the relations with donors and other external partners.
The Policy Specialist also contributes to the strengthening of BDP`s capacity in programme monitoring thought the implementation of monitoring systems, policies and strategies across the programmatic areas, contributes to the risk management through designing and implementing the risk management mechanisms and quality assurance processes.
The Policy Specialist maintains working relations with colleagues from UNDP (various HQ units, especially the Bureau for External Relations and Advocacy), UN Agencies, Government counterparts, multi-lateral and bilateral donors, private sector and civil society representatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordination of the cross- bureau relationships with strategic partners and donors
Support to the multi-practice coordination and reporting
Support to the multi-practice coordination and reporting
- Coordination of the cross-bureau relationships with strategic partners and donors
- External and internal analysis for assisting the opportunities for resource mobilization
- Facilitate close collaboration between the Bureau for External Partnerships and Advocacy and the Bureau for Development Policy
- Contributes to facilitation of relationships with strategic partners (donors, emerging economies, World Bank, G20, Foundations, CSOs, Private sector, etc)
- Working with the Regional Bureaux, scanning the opportunities for identification of areas for BDP service delivery
- Provide substantive input into policy documents, external communications and official submissions and lead when required;
- Identification of opportunities for new partnership opportunities, contributes to the negotiations of mutually beneficial agreements with partners and reviews the relevant reports
- Prepares substantive briefs, background documents and presentations for Associate Administrator/Director BDP on new opportunities, relations with external partners and other relevant documents
- Main focal point for BDP`s substantive briefs for Executive Office focused on coordination and development with focus on donor interests and relations. Ensures appropriate follow up liaising with relevant staff of the Executive Office ensuring the smooth exchange of information and finalization of the documents to be submitted to the attention of the Administrator and Associate Administrator.
- Liaises with relevant units in BDP ensuring their high quality input in the documents to be submitted on behalf of BDP to the Executive Office.
- Constantly monitors the latest developments, trends and executive decisions of the UNDP`s top management ensuring that appropriate action and response is being prepared by BDP.
- Provides inputs to the documents and statements to be presented by the management to representatives of Member States, UN agencies, partners and counterparts at highest levels.
- Contributes to the creation and implementation of BDP donor outreach strategy
- Prepares draft correspondence for the BDP management when communicating to representatives of the Member States, UN agencies, partners and counterparts
- Supporting innovative and coherent fund management of the Trust funds implemented by BDP
- Supporting multi-practice coordination within BDP on major initiatives (post Rio, post-2015, SE4A, etc).
- Ensures implementation of RBM, monitoring and evaluation and other relevant procedures
- Contributes to monitoring and evaluation of multi-practice initiatives
- Supports BDP`s planning process and reporting (Integrated Work Plan formulation and monitoring)
- Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing on monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure collaboration within BDP Directorate to ensure a clear exchange of information and outputs among the Programme Support Unit
- Liaise with the Evaluation Office in order to ensure adequate and accurate information exchange and contribute to improvement of the evaluation processes
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness, by modeling the UN/UNDP’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Advocacy/ Advancing a Policy Oriented Area
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Performs analysis of external environment and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to BDP`s strategic agenda
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Analyzes information on potential donors and counterparts to recommend a strategic approach
- Identifies and compiles lessons learnt
- Ability to conceptualize and convey strategic vision from the spectrum of development experience;
- Knowledge and expertise in UNDP’s programming processes;
- Proven ability to contribute to the practice area and drive for results with a strong knowledge of results-based management and budgeting.
- Demonstrated well developed people management and organizational skills;
- Strong ability to manage teams; creating an enabling environment, mentoring and developing staff;
- Excellent negotiating and networking skills;
- Strong resource mobilization and partnering skills.
- Ability to address global development issues;
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of development cooperation with the ability to support the practice architecture of UNDP and inter-disciplinary issues;
- Demonstrated substantive knowledge and ability to integrate knowledge with broader strategic, policy and operational objectives;
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Demonstrated ability to understand clients' needs and concerns; respond promptly and effectively to client needs; and customize services and products as appropriate.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others in own unit and across boundaries; acknowledge others' contributions; promote collaboration and facilitate teamwork across organizational boundaries;
- Open to new ideas; shares own knowledge; applies knowledge in daily work; builds partnerships for learning and knowledge sharing;
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best practices from within and outside of UNDP;
- Familiarity with current Knowledge Management technologies, including Web and Enterprise 2.0 etc.
- Mature judgment and initiative;
- Independent judgment and discretion in advising on handling major policy issues and challenges.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Relations, Development, Public Administration, Environment or related field
- A minimum of 5 years of experience of international development, programme development, partnership building, analytical work in development issues;
- Experience of working on partnership building and resource mobilization processes;
- Experience coordinating large and complicated processes with multiple different actors;
- Experience working with different actors, including governments, civil society and private sector;
- Work experience with the UN system;
- Work experience in one or more of UNDP’s thematic areas and knowledge of UNDP’s operations and programmes
- Excellent communication and drafting skills in English.
- Working knowledge of other UN official languages would be an asset
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.