UN WOMEN: PROGRAMME ADVISOR, ASIA AND THE PACIFIC REGION
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||13-Feb-13|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-5|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year|
|UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Programme Division (PD) sets the standards, assures the quality of program design, and provides guidance to country level program work of UN Women, as well as supports the coordination role of UN Women at regional and country level. It supports the effective use of Results Based Management and reporting across the organization. It also manages global Trust Funds and provides technical capacity to countries on request, including humanitarian response capacity.
The Programme Team makes possible the oversight function of the Programme Directorate for UN Women’s programmes and activities in the field. It supports corporate planning and the oversight of planning processes. It leads UN Women’s corporate analysis of developments and trends at the country and regional level, ensuring UN Women’s senior management receives timely advice and recommendations. It supports UN Women’s field based presences, specifically Regional Offices (RO) including on operational matters, and connects them appropriately to other parts of HQ as required. The Programme Team’s members represent UN Women in interagency fora, and provide support to UN Women normative work in intergovernmental processes, as well as contributing to resource mobilization and partnership building more broadly at HQ level. Under the overall leadership and direction of the Director, Programme Division, and the day to day supervision of the Deputy Director, the Programme Advisor, Asia Pacific,supports the Division in all aspects of field based programmes in the Asia Pacific Region. He/she supports the Programme Director’s overall oversight function to ensure high quality programme design and implementation within the Asia Pacific Region. S/he promotes adherence to UN Women Strategic Plans (SP) and commitments on gender equality and women’s human rights in UN Women programs and projects. At HQ s/he acts as liaison for the UN Women’s RO for Asia Pacific in Bangkok and represents and reflects the region’s perspectives and concerns in interagency and intergovernmental fora and discussions at the HQ level, as well as in UN Women’s internal processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Proactively provides substantive advice to the PD Directorate on strategic program planning and development in consultation with the Asia Pacific RO.
- Provide targeted technical and operational guidance, on program design and program implementation within the region, to PD Directorate, RO and Multi-Country Office (MCO)/Country Office (CO).
- Support to Director of Programme with timely analysis on overall portfolio implementation in the region, highlighting critical development trends and their possible impact on programming.
- Substantive support and advice to UN Women’s RO and MCO/CO on UN inter-agency coordination, UNDAF/CCPD development and joint programming as well as normative processes as required.
- Active engagement in following up on partnerships and resource mobilization on behalf of the region.
- Knowledge management and key advocate of capacity building of UN Women program staff and external partners within the region. Helps ensure relevance and effectiveness of such capacity building initiatives.
Description of Key Functions: Proactively provides substantive advice to the PD Directorate on strategic programme planning and development, particularly as it relates to the Asia and Pacific Region.
- Provide the Director with advice on programming direction and options for the region based on a broad and deep knowledge of global, regional and national social development trends, priorities, challenges and emerging issues.
- Review programme proposals/recommendations from RO, MCOs/COs in the region as required.
- Provide substantive expert advice to the Directorate on programme strategies for inclusion in the UN Women Strategic Plan (SP).
- Provide proactive impactful substantive and operational support during all stages of the UN Women strategic planning, formulation and implementation processes related to the region.
- Lead and/or participate in UN Women strategic programme/policy discussion to provide advice and substantive input on programme issues relevant to the region in close coordination with the RO.
- Contribute significantly to the Programme Division’s strategic discussion in establishing work plans and priorities. Develop individual work plan, ensuring harmonization and linkages of priorities and approaches with the divisional work plan .
Targeted appropriate technical and operational guidance, on Country and or Regional Program design and implementation to the PD Directorate, RO and MCOs/COs.
Support to Director of Programmes with timely analysis on overall portfolio implementation in the region, highlighting critical developments and their impact on programming.
- Lead the provision of technical support to the RO, MCOs/COs during the formulation, approval and implementation of programming within the region to ensure the formulation of relevant high quality, results-based and rights-based regional and country programs.
- Promote the timely submission of Country Program documents and materials by actively facilitating communication between HQ offices and RO/MCOs/COs, and work to ensure that they are in accordance with UN Women strategies, policies and guidelines.
- Ensure appropriateness of format and content of documents submitted to the Executive Board by facilitating liaison between RO and/or MCO/CO and Executive Board.
- Prepare high quality briefing materials for the Executive Director and Senior Management including for missions and participation in meetings and international events based on reports and materials submitted from regional and country offices. Review briefing materials submitted from regional and country offices for the use of the Executive Director and Programme Division Director and ensure quality. Develop recommendations for UN Women input in regional meetings and events on gender and women’s human rights issues. high quality, results-based and rights-based regional and country programs.
- Develop and maintain an up to date overview of regional and country office program status, and of program management issues, and under the general guidance and/or request of the Directorate ensure timely intervention and action, when and where necessary, in liaison with the Regional Director.
- Undertake travel on significant trouble shooting missions as required providing technical advice, support and collaboration on programming and related issues of significant importance within the region.
- As per corporate annual requirements, guide the reporting and review of the regional and country programmes to assess impact and alignment with development goals and results-based performance indicators.
- Liaise with RO/MCOs/COs to agree on the support they require to advance achievement of objectives.
- Advise Programme Directorate on lessons learned and best practices within Asia Pacific regional and country offices’ progrmames. Based on lessons learned within the region and corporately, help guide programme improvements and future strategic development planning.
- Review and evaluate proposals for programs and operations that are above the regional approval threshold and submit recommendations for approval in PD.
- Facilitate the flow of information from the field to ensure corporate direction and policy responds to the needs and opportunities in the Asia and the Pacific Region.
Substantive support and advice to UN Women’s RO and MCO/CO on UN inter-agency coordination, UNDAF/CCPD development and joint programming as well as normative processes as required.
Active engagement in following up on partnerships and resource mobilization on behalf of the region.
- Liaise with and/or represent RO and MCOs/COs in HQ based inter-agency task forces, committees and initiatives to ensure that UN Women’s priorities are taken into account in development planning and formulation.
- Support the coordination function of RO and MCO/COs in enhancing gender equality within Regional UNDG and UNCT
- Provide and share lessons learned on UN reform and delivering as One UN approach.
- Represent the RO and MCOs/COs in interaction with HQ-based normative and Inter-governmental processes to coordinate and advocate regional gender issues and women’s human rights for agenda and policy setting. This includes, but is not limited to liaising with Member States; support to UN General Assembly preparation; work around the Commission on the Status of Women as required; and regular and timely support to UN Women’s Executive Board.
- Support and advocate for UN Women positions in Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) , Inter-Agency Country Task Force (ITFS), HQ-based inter-agency coordination and crisis mechanisms as they relate to Asia and the Pacific .
Knowledge management and key advocate of capacity building of UN women program staff and external partners within the region. Helps ensure relevance and effectiveness of such capacity building initiatives.
- In liaison with the field, develop, build, and nurture strategic partnerships with Member States, NGOs, academia, media and private sector to advocate and to promote UN Women mandate, initiatives and commitments to raise awareness and stimulate action to advance women’s human rights.
- Establish and continually enhance sustainable partnerships with UN system agencies at HQ in order to collaborate on joint projects and on interagency efforts to promote/advocate UN Women interests and commitments on gender equality and women’s empowerment and to maximize results and achievements.
- Represent UN Women as delegated/appropriate in international development fora and to engage partners and other allies to encourage greater commitment and collaboration in advancing gender issues.
- Actively contribute to resource mobilization efforts in PD and/or on behalf of the regional and country offices through liaison, networking, and relationship building with donor agencies. Support fundraising activities/events in collaboration with the Partnership Division.
- Provide useful advice on the design of materials for advocacy and policy dialogue to maximize impact and outreach.
- Liaise and facilitate the flow of information with/to the Partnership Division on corporate partnerships /resource mobilization related issues from the respective regions/countries so that corporate partnership strategies respond appropriately to the field’s demands and needs .
- Proactively collaborate with UN Women Divisions, departments and relevant units to identity and share best program and management practices.
- Oversee and ensure the collecting and sharing of lessons learned on gender equality and women’s empowerment to build knowledge and capacity of partners and stakeholders.
- Contribute to and promote the design and implementation of capacity building training activities with RO, MCOs/COs to enhance skills and knowledge in Results Based Management, Results based budgeting and systematic quality assurance.
- Actively participate in the development and maintenance of global and regional program knowledge networks and practices, and in the development of knowledge products.
Impact of Results:
The key results of this post directly impact on the ability of UN Women to effectively lead, manage, monitor and oversee UN Women’s programs and related operations in the region. This impact should lead to enhancing the visibility and image of UN Women as an effective leader on gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment within the region.
|Core Values and Guiding Principles:|
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work
- Cultural Sensitivity and Valuing Diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents
- Organizational Awareness: Build support for the organization and ensure political acumen.
- Development and Innovation: Support staff competence development, and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation.
- Work in Teams: Build and promote effective teams. Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, ethnically diverse environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communication and Information Sharing: Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Share knowledge across the organization and build a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Ensure fair and transparent decision making processes and manage risk.
- Demonstrated high level theoretical, analytical and technical skills in the visioning, planning, implementation and evaluation of development programs, particularly in areas pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s rights.
- Demonstrated political acumen, judgment, technical knowledge, and interpersonal skills in representing the organization effectively in national and international fora to advocate and to promote organizational priorities, initiatives and a better understanding of the organizational strategic agenda.
- Proven ability to lead a substantive program area and to drive persistently for results.
- Proven ability to establish, maintain, and enhance broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners in order to build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
- Ability and courage to go beyond established procedures and practices, and to introduce new approaches and strategic innovations.
- Very good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in development related disciplines, economics,public policy, or other social science fields. Specialist qualifications in gender studies or related field desirable.
- Over 10 years of extensive development experience that combines intellectual, strategic and managerial leadership of development programs, some of which could be in the area of gender equality and women’s rights at the international level
- Some experience in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programs highly desirable.
- Experience related to development and/or gender issues in renowned institutions/ academia an advantage Written and oral proficiency in English is required.
- Knowledge of the other UN working knowledge is highly desirable.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.