- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Fiji (Multi-country Office)
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- About Us
- News Centre
|Location :||Dar es Salaam, TANZANIA|
|Application Deadline :||11-Mar-13|
|Additional Category||Gender Equality|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-3|
|Languages Required :||English|
|UN Women is the newly established United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations. UNW works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world.
Tanzania is a One UN Pilot country, implementing UN Reform through Delivering as One (DaO) with twenty UN agencies operating under one programme (UNDAP). Through the UNDAP, UN Women supports its partners in implementing and monitoring the international and regional agreements on women’s rights and developing capacity to integrate gender equality into national and regional development strategies, laws and policies. UN Women contributes to results in five of the ten UN Programme Working Groups with staff based in Dar es Salaam and Dodoma.
UN Women Country Office in Tanzania is looking to contract a country office driver under fixed term contract. Under the guidance and supervision of the UN Women Representative, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to UN Women and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Upon request of the supervisor, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the CO, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
|1. Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of UN Women, other high-ranking officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required
2. Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3. Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4. Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
5. Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
• Demonstrates commitment to UN Women’s mission, vision and values.
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
• Shares knowledge and experience
• Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
Development and Operational Effectiveness
• Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
• Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
• Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues
Leadership and Self-Management
• Focuses on result for the client
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
• Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
• Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views
Required Skills and Experience
• Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
• Minimum 3 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair;
• Excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues.
• Previous work experience with the UN or international organization an asset;
• Fluency in Kiswahili. Good knowledge of English a strong asset
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.