UN WOMEN: BUSINESS PROCESS-CONSULTANT/PROJECT MANAGER
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||11-Mar-13|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
UN-Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Department of Management and Administration (DMA) is responsible for the planning, allocation and management of a broad range of services, the effective and efficient delivery of essential operational services in UN Women, policies, and methods to align with UN Women and stakeholders’ evolving business needs and advisory support to the Executive Director in the formulation and implementation of the UN Women overall mission, strategy and plans of action.
The Business Process Analyst/Project Manager works under the Deputy Director, DMA/Chief of Operations for guidance and supervision and is responsible for providing support in streamlining business processes across applicable business units and in compliance with applicable regulations and rules, policies and procedures to meet UN-Women commitments, goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Create and/or update various business processes within the various business units through the use of flow charts and other business tools as necessary
- Work with business units in defining and documenting
- Collaborate with (cross-cutting) internal and external organizations to define and document roles and responsibilities
- Train stakeholders on all newly revised business processes
- Provide advisory support and technical guidance
Create and/or update various business processes
Work with business units in defining and documenting
- Develop reports that will give insight into engagement results, performance issues, capacity and areas of opportunity
- Create and manage database updates via SharePoint
- Conduct data collection, data mining, analysis, and reporting on ad hoc and reoccurring data requests
- Provide input on processes, standards, reporting improvements on measurable results
- Create comprehensive reports on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis, or as required/requested
- Research, introduce and provide input on technologies to improve systems, processes, deliverables, collection and analysis of metrics.
- Able to acquire and analyze data using appropriate standard quantitative methods across different business environments to facilitate process analysis and improvements
- Streamlines business processes that support business and corporate strategies and objectives
- Ensures the implemented applications and processes support the business processes
- Models and enhances important business process diagrams
- Demonstrates, via models, the opportunities for best-in-class process management to the process owner
- Reviews the range of solutions available, and presents options and recommendations to the stakeholders on which ones to use
- Determines and documents for the process owner the impacts of change, and suggests policy, goal and rule changes
- Understand the principles of product and service quality and be comfortable with control charts and run charts, how to plot data and how to recognize out-of-control conditions and how to translate objectives into meaningful and measurable metrics for various departments
- Educates process stakeholders on how to identify and solve process challenges through the simulation of different scenarios, analysis of performance metrics and advanced optimization techniques
- Performs continuous reviews to align processes (for example, models, goals metrics) with changing business conditions
- Contributes to the definition, development, implementation and maintenance of the business process improvement methodology to be employed.
- Work collaboratively with internal business units and external organizations (e.g. UNDP, UNFPA, etc.) to refine and optimize processes and reporting criteria as well as manage expectations around input and output capabilities
- Interview personnel and conduct on-site observations to ascertain unit functions, work performed, methods, equipment and personnel used
- Communicates and translates the required capabilities and outcomes effectively between business process areas and supporting departments
- Searches internal and external resources for prebuilt models, templates and services to meet process needs
- Work closely with stakeholders to create clear and consistent messaging about the state of organizational business.
Advisory support and technical guidance
- Serve as technical resource person for the organizations business processes
- Provide advice to UN-Women personnel on business processes and procedures
- Collaborate with UNDP, et al, on corporate issues related to business processes to ensure UN-Women needs and interests are taken into account in systems development and updates.
Impact of results
- The key results have an impact on the effective and efficient operation of cross-cutting processes of UN-Women business units. Sound policies and advice, proper oversight, control and monitoring of resources, and timely and accurate oversight and control enhance the UN-Women reputation with key stakeholders and fosters a culture of accountability
Core values/guiding principles
- Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity: Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrating / safeguarding ethics and Integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring: Self-development, initiative-taking. Building staff competencies.
- Working in Teams: Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Communicating Information and Ideas: Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Self-management and Emotional intelligence: Creating synergies through self-control
- Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements: Managing conflict
- Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning: Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Informed and transparent decision making
- Strong knowledge with balancing cross-functional business initiatives
- Familiarity with quality practices such as ISO9000/1 is a great advantage
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills, and the ability to create original concepts on projects
- Ability to lead ownership transfer from project teams to the business unit
- Demonstrated business acumen and judgment
- Conceptual/strategic skills and success in implementing complex business processes effectively and efficiently
- Solid knowledge and experience in the application of SharePoint
- Advance knowledge of office software packages, spreadsheet and database (MS Word, Excel)
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Business or Public Administration from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy.
- Minimum seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in business process management in a large international and/or corporate organization preferably in the UN system and its organizations
- Works well under pressure and keeps composure in stressful situations
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Proficiency in another UN working language is desirable.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.