||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||20-Mar-13|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-6|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||One Year|
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Internally advertised General Service (GS) fixed-term appointment (FTA) positions located in Headquarters are open to GS staff members currently serving in New York/Washington D.C. who hold a UNDP permanent or FTA who are either US Permanent Residents, US citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Externally advertised GS fixed-term appointment and temporary appointment (TA) positions located in New York/Washington D.C. are open to candidates who are either US Permanent Residents, US Citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Current UNDP GS staff serving outside of HQ must meet the eligibility criteria stated above prior to their application.
Selected candidates who meet the above mentioned eligibility criteria are responsible for their own travel and/or relocation costs.
Selection to GS fixed-term appointment positions at Headquarters requires passing a UN administered clerical test (ASAT).
Applicants under serious consideration for short-listing of posts requiring accountancy and finance skills, must take the UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test (UNDP AFT) prior to short-listing.
UNDP's People Centred Strategy (PCS) requires all areas of OHR/BOM to work seamlessly in delivering a unified, coordinated platform to effective HR services. This integrated service platform is grounded in a high quality operational support function lead by the Operations Advisor and the Operations team. Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Operations Advisor and working within the team of Operations the Administrative Associate is responsible for: 1. Assist the Operations Advisor to provide direct support in all critical areas of Operations Management work and ensures the implementation of Internal Control Framework (ICF) of UNDP within OHR which will ensure the accountability of operations within OHR. 2. Perform the administrative functions for OHR including critical business reporting, carry out procurement functions as necessary and responsible for the office asset focal point and management, inventory, travel and logistics requirements as well as registry support while ensuring the information flow and management within the Operations Team and with Office of Human Resources (OHR) and clients. 3. Deliver a series of essential ongoing operational OHR services to all UNDP staff which includes the Long Serving Award scheme (LSA), distribution of UN tax cheques and correspondences related to UN LPs.
The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the staff in different OHR units in New York and Copenhagen to exchange information and ensure consistent delivery of services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions/Expected Key Results:
- Provide essential support to the Operations Advisor in all critical areas of Operations Management work and ensures the implementation of Internal Control Framework (ICF) of UNDP within OHR which will ensure the accountability of operations within OHR.
- Delivery of corporate OHR operational services such as the flow of information within the OHR and Operations clients, critical business reporting, carry out procurement functions as necessary and responsible for the office asset focal point and asset management, inventory, travel and logistics requirements as well as registry support.
- Ensure the independent responsibility for delivering a series of essential ongoing operational OHR services to all UNDP staff namely the Long Serving Award scheme (LSA), distribution of UN tax cheques and correspondences related to UN LPs.
- The incumbent might be asked to perform other strategic operations functions including short term assignments and projects as deemed necessary by the direct supervisor.
Provide essential support to the Operations Advisor in all critical areas of Operations Management work and ensures the implementation of Internal Control Framework (ICF) of UNDP within OHR which will ensure the accountability of operations within OHR focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the OHR administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Implementation and compliance to UNDP Corporate Internal Control Framework.
- Working closely with Operations Advisor to support the management of online IWP, ROAR and balanced scorecard of OHR. Prepares Operations team results-oriented work-plans.
- Prepare monthly account of purchases and supporting verification of corporate card transactions.
- Support preparation of cost-recovery bills for the OHR services and verification of calculations taking into account number of processed transactions for tax cheques;
- Ensure proper control of supporting documents related to c
- Crrying out of administrative activities.
- Prepare briefing notes and presentation materials for meetings and missions developing graphs and trends analysis based on available statistics.
- Ad-hoc administrative duties in support of business continuity as determined by Operations Advisor.
Delivery of corporate OHR operational services such as the flow of information within the OHR and Operations clients, critical business reporting, carry out procurement functions as necessary and responsible for the office asset focal point and asset management, inventory, travel and logistics requirements as well as registry support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- The incumbent will be assigned as the OHR inventory focal point focusing on ensuring that that inventory is managed according to the IPSAS including the monitoring and reporting requirements.
- Coordinate travel arrangement for Unit staff and consultants, as applicable, using Travel and Expense module in Atlas and related pro-travel matters.
- Manages OHR staff stationery needs and coordinates the provision of reliable and quality office supplies using on-line account with Office Depot; maintenance of office supplies room on the floor.
- Coordination of assets management in the OHR, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports.
- Carry out procurement of goods and services including preparing RFQ, ITBs and RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation preparation of POs and liaison with other OHR units to ensure full support to their procurement needs as directed by the Operations Advisor, and in some cases provide the above services to support the Contracts Associate.
- Maintain and update office supplies inventory, orders, receives and inspect goods and services, preparing the needed requisitions, conducting the necessary request for quotation or request for proposals, tracks the status of orders in process.
- Maintain and update IC files and use of digital filing system.
- Brief/debrief staff members on issues relating to area of work and sharing knowledge with colleagues across the board.
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Performs data search, compilation, provision of the necessary information and reports on IC management.
- Disposal of assets in liaison with UNDP maintenance unit on move of assets, fixing and repairs on the floor.
- Support to implementation of sourcing strategy and maintenance of vendor’s database. Perform a role of Buyer in Atlas for preparation of vendor profile;
- Backstop contracting function in OHR with the contract/HR Associate and as directed by the supervisor to support the office requirements.
- Perform Leave Monitor role for Operations staff using Absence Management module in Atlas and handling attendance related matters.
- Monthly update and posting of OHR telephone list on OHR website, annual update of telephone directory of OHR for UN and UNDP phone books, ordering of name plates and telephone extension transfers for OHR staff.
- Maintenance of the filing system of Operations unit ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Support to enhancements in filing system of operations files; use of digital filing system. Support to archiving of OHR files.
Ensure the independent responsibility for delivering a series of essential ongoing operational OHR services to all UNDP staff namely the Long Serving Award scheme (LSA), distribution of UN tax cheques and correspondences related to UN LPs focusing on achievement of the following results:
- The incumbent will support the Operations Advisor in the following functions which includes the maintenance of the LSA awards database and archive, update of staff information and statistics for UNDP working force globally including liaison functions with the vendor to prepare the certificates.
- Calculation of the years of service using available HR Atlas data for all UNDP International Professional staff globally; Efficient administration of the work flow and communications with staff members on the LSA related matters for all eligible UNDP working force globally.
- Establishment of the monitoring systems for work in progress informing the supervisor on the status of pending requests, deadlines and queries received from country offices, Regional Centers, HQ and Liaison offices;
- Support to preparation of the LSA reports for monitoring, statistical and review purposes by management.
- Follow up on LSA deadlines, commitments made, actions taken;
- Screening and routing of all incoming calls and incoming and outgoing correspondence related to the LSA; management of LSA filing system.
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate bottlenecks in the implementation of LSA scheme and streamline of existing procedures.
- In administration of the on-going Long Service Award (LSA) scheme, a corporate OHR function, the incumbent ensures full confidentiality in all aspects managing information flow and follow-up on LSA submissions, queries, deadlines and commitments made. The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with UNDP staff in country offices and in HQ units and applies the corporate Guidance Note governing implementation of the LSA.
- Distribution of tax cheques liaising with the UN Tax unit and staff members working in UNDP and in different Agencies.
- Dispatch of official correspondence and issued UN LPs.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of Operations services in OHR. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the credibility of provided services and contributes to the successful implementation of the OHR objectives and work plan.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- UNDP procurement certificates or previous procurement experience in similar environment is desirable; the incumbent is expected to acquire the UNDP procurement certificates after joining
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. Certification in administration desirable.
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- UN Administration Support Assessment Test (ASAT)
- ICDL or Computer proficiency (if the applicant has it is an added advantage) applicants are expected to pass the ASAT test
- 6 years of progressively responsible in administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) Experience in handling of web based.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another UN language would be an asset.
Fund code: XB 11000
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.