UN WOMEN: TRAINING SPECIALIST
||Santo Domingo, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
|Application Deadline :||24-Mar-13|
|Type of Contract :||TA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||364 days|
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In collaboration with Capacity Development and Knowledge Management sections, Santo Domingo Training Centre will develop and implement UN Women’s strategy for capacity development of national partners in key functions, as well as for UN system staff. It will develop UN system training programmes in gender equality and empowerment of women, in close partnership with UN Staff College, UNITAR, and other UN training institutions, making maximum use of on-line training techniques.
The Training Specialist post is based at UN Women Training Centre in Santo Domingo. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the UN Women Training Chief in close collaboration with the Knowledge Management section at UN Women HQ. The Training Specialist post is envisaged to provide critical support towards the further development and operation of the Training Centre to meet the growing demands for gender training worldwide.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Mapping and identification of good practices in Training for Gender Equality
- Develop courses in accordance with the Training Centre’s methodology for course design
- Knowledge building and management, and building partnerships
Mapping and identification of good practices in Training for Gender Equality.
- Analyze existing training courses, tools and other materials identified by the UN Women Training Mapping and Needs Assessment conducted in 2012.
- Identify good practices (training courses and tools) and develop a road map for their analysis, revision and up scaling.
- Organize peer and expert reviews of selected training and tools.
- Identify training tools and materials that can be easily adapted for course development, making the most of eLearning technologies.
- Supervise the editing and translation of selected courses after peer reviews.
- Supervise the packaging of selected courses.
- Coordinate pilot testing of selected courses and tools.
- Identification of other existing good practices in Training for Gender Equality and incorporate to the Training for Gender Equality Good Practices Online Database.
Develop training courses and tools in accordance with the Training Centre’s methodology for course design and in line with the priority areas resulting from the survey
- Coordinate the development of a training package on Women´s Economic Empowerment following on the results of mappings and needs assessments, in collaboration with UN Women´s Economic Empowerment section.
- Map existing available courses and tools
- Organize Peer Assistance to define content of package
- Define a roadmap
- Implement roadmap
Knowledge building and management
- Identification and analysis of best practices and lessons learned
- Monitor best practices in order to ensure valuable capacity building and enable the most current available information to be provided as guidance to UN Women offices
- Enhance knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Establish effective cooperation with all involved parties within the UN system and with external entities such as training and development companies, instructors and facilitators
- Keep abreast of new developments, approaches and best practices on gender training
- Develop and manage relationships with UN Staff College, UNITAR, and other UN training institutions to maximize online training techniques
- Create opportunities to cultivate new foundation partners, strengthen existing partnership relations, maximize partnership impact through partnership events and stakeholder engagement platforms
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct. Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to promote a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example. To identify client’s needs and match them to appropriate solutions ensuring the inclusion of new and emerging issues/approaches
- Ability to meet timelines for delivery of products or services to clients
- Ability to plan and develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments and adjusts priorities as required
- Capacity to work with diverse partners including governments, donors and civil society
- In-depth substantive knowledge of gender training approaches is required
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree or equivalent in Education, Gender, Social Sciences, International Development, or other related fields.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the fields of pedagogy, training/capacity development related to Gender and/or Development, Education, or other related areas.
- Experience at the international level is highly desirable
- Experience in the design and management of e-Learning materials is highly desirable.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of additional official UN language is an asset.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.