COMMUNICATIONS AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||15-Apr-13|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||3 months, with possibility of extension|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||3 months|
The Poverty Group (PG) of the Bureau for Development Policy (BDP) is the institutional anchor of UNDP’s work on poverty reduction and MDG support. It provides core services designed to support global, regional and national efforts to reduce poverty and reach the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) in the areas of: technical and policy advice, policy analysis and advocacy and knowledge brokering.
The consultant shall design and implement a communications strategy on the work of the Poverty Group. S/he will produce and disseminate a set of communications materials (e.g. brochures, one-page project summaries, flyers, etc) for increased visibility and advocacy, and identify opportunities and organize events to launch various products produced by the Poverty Group.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the team in producing a set of communications materials for increased visibility and advocacy, including (but not limited to) brochures; factsheets of projects; press/media kits and updated information and stories to partners and the general public of ongoing initiatives; executive summaries of various case studies and papers produced by the team; posters, flyers and other visual materials; videos; any other communications materials as deemed appropriate.
- Provide overall drafting and editing support to various publications produced by the team;
- Liaise directly with a graphic designer to edit content and oversee production of final products;
- Develop a strategy for dissemination of communications products, including web and print dissemination and distribution at various events;
- Identify and develop creative opportunities to increase visibility of projects, including campaigns and events to launch products, and engage in development platforms;
- Manage relevant Teamworks spaces by populating with useful resources, writing blog entries and leading e-discussions;
- Organize learning and visibility events, coordinating closely with relevant partners including other UNDP bureaus, UN agencies and Policy Centres;
- Coordinate the translation of communications materials into relevant additional languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Arabic and Korean);
- Effectively collaborate with UNDP’s Office of Communications to produce relevant communications materials including videos;
- Nurture strategic partnerships with communications counterparts within UNDP and at other UN agencies, and with external media networks;
- Provide overall technical support in developing communications products and initiatives;
- Perform other communications and knowledge management related tasks as needed.
- Strong understanding of communications and outreach at the international level;
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective communications strategies;
- Proven ability to develop user-friendly, high quality communications materials;
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Proven ability to communicate issues effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, creatively and with cultural sensitivity;
- Outstanding strong organizational and planning skills;
- Proven networking skills and ability to generate interest in UNDP;
- Proven ability to multi-task effectively;
- Respect for diversity and ability to work in a multicultural team.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, economics, social science or development-related field.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in international development or communications.
- Strong familiarity with international development issues, including poverty reduction and economic empowerment.
- Good knowledge of office software packages and social media.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Competency in French or Spanish an asset.
FC: 55013 and 25630
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.