ARABIC - ENGLISH LANGUAGE FACILITATOR IKNOW POLITICS
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||22-Apr-13|
|Additional Category||Women’s Empowerment|
|Type of Contract :||Internship|
|Post Level :||Intern|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||3 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||3 months|
The International Knowledge Network of Women in Politics (iKNOW Politics www.iknowpolitics.org) is a joint Project between UNDP, UNWOMEN, International IDEA, IPU and NDI. The International Knowledge Network of Women in Politics, iKNOW Politics, is designed to increase the number and effectiveness of women in political life by utilizing a technology enabled forum to provide access to resources, expertise, dialogue, and knowledge creation on women’s political participation.
Despite some encouraging data and statistics on women’s participation in politics, women still lack access to political leadership opportunities and resources at local, national and regional levels. In order to provide a mechanism to share best practices on women’s political participation and leadership, UNDP, UNWOMEN, NDI, IPU, and International IDEA established a global knowledge network for women in politics (iKNOW Politics). iKNOW Politics brings together women involved in politics around the world in order to gain access to valuable resources and advisory services, share interests and experiences, participate in training and development, network and collaborate on issues of interest. Network members have access to a cadre of experts and practitioners that can advise candidates and elected officials on how to develop and implement successful campaign and lobbying strategies with the goal of getting more women involved in politics. The network also facilitates direct contact between women leaders to share relevant experiences, challenges and successes with one another. Additionally, the network provides an opportunity to the users to stay abreast of global events and news related to women’s political participation globally and regionally.
Duties and Responsibilities
To support the iKNOW Politics team, an intern is being sought to undertake the following tasks:
Monitoring the content of the English and Arabic website:
- Contribute to the development of the iKNOW Politics Network Community by providing support for community collaboration, knowledge sharing and networking;
- Respond to user requests through active solicitation of expert feedback; research and write consolidated replies to queries in English and Arabic;
- Filter English and Arabic messages, contributions and queries to determine the most relevant information and resources to be shared with the global Network;
- Post daily updates on news emerging from English and Arabic speaking countries, upload events on women’s political participation to the calendar;
- Design, moderate and stimulate online discussions in English and Arabic;
- Conduct research for knowledge and information needed to prompt dialogue or enhance the depth of Network products and services;
- Facilitate the access, creation, sharing, and application of specialized knowledge in the field of women and political participation by network members;
- Manage the membership of the network; encourage communication, capture knowledge and turn it into new knowledge resources;
- Translation of website content (interviews, texts, articles) from English to Arabic and Arabic to English.
Collaborate with the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Team;
- Assist in the development of the website, including identifying new technologies;
- Develop on-line and multi-media tools and features for the network to facilitate greater knowledge sharing;
- Interest to the advancement of women in politics;
- Experience in working in a multicultural and web-based environment;
- Strong organizational and research skills;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment;
- Respect for diversity: understanding of the United Nations system, operations and structures, particularly those related to gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Experience working under minimum supervision and tight deadlines. Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty;
- Commitment to UNDP’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
Required Skills and Experience
- Currently enrolled in a Master's programme Gender Studies, International Relations, International Development, Political Science, Law or other related field.
- Experience in the area of gender and/or governance.
- Prior experience with NGOs, UN, or international institutions;
- Fluency in Microsoft word, excel, e-mail, web-based applications and databases.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic.
Candidates who are shortlisted for an interview must submit prior to the interview the following documents:
- Official letter from the University confirming enrollment in a graduate-level degree programme;
- A valid visa to work in the US;
- Letter of endorsement from a faculty member who has worked with the student in the recent past and who is knowledgeable on the student’s performance;
- Completed and signed “Application Form” which is available at http://www.undp.org/internships;
- Proof of medical and life/accident insurance valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out(i.e. New York, USA).
UNDP only accepts interns for a minimum of 6 weeks and a maximum of 6 months. UNDP does not pay for internships. Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP .The costs associated with the latter must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his or her own arrangements for travel, accommodation, etc.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.