PROGRAMME SPECIALIST, ELECTORAL SUPPORT, PARLIAMENTARY SUPPORT AND ANTI CORRUPTION
||Dar es salaam, TANZANIA
|Application Deadline :||03-May-13|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-C|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year with a possibility of extension|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 year with a possibility of extension|
Deepening reform will require new and even more innovative ways for the UN agencies to work together. Programme planning, resource mobilization, evaluation, and review activities will to an increasing extent be done collaboratively. The roles of UN staff will change, with an imperative to adopt more proactive, adaptive, and facilitative working styles. Coordination and consultation will continue to be important, but the need for documenting results, pursuing efficiencies and value for money, and adding value through knowledge building and policy advisory support are ever greater. The international ODA context with reducing core resources to several UN programmes, funds and agencies further underscores the need for change in this direction. On the Operations side, there is a call for increased harmonization of UN policies, procedures and tools, possibly leading towards the establishment of a One UN Operations Team.
Under the overall guidance of the Country Director and under the direct supervision of the Deputy Country Director for Programme (DCD/P), the Programme Specialist, ensures programmatic planning, guidance and oversight at the outcome and output levels of the UNDAP and UNDP programmes consistent with UNDAP priorities and the identification of creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities. The Programme Specialist also applies substantive sector-specific best practices and provides strategic policy and development advisory services for the improved quality and impact of results. The Programme Specialist manages a substantial programme portfolio and facilitates access by national partners to relevant policy and technical advice.
The Programme Specialist works in close collaboration with the other Programme Specialists and the Senior Advisors, the Strategy and Partnerships Team , Operations teams, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDAP and Common Country Programme. The Programme Specialist draws on the work of the Project Management Support Team to ensure quality results in implementation support and may supervise staff members and project personnel in cases where UNDP has an implementation responsibility.
By application of UNDP’s strategic themes and practice strategies, the Programme Specialist plays a key role in supporting the adoption of approaches to Tanzania’s development that support inclusion, transparency, accountability and empowerment for the reduction of poverty, improvement of lives, and achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. In addition to leadership of the portfolio of support to key democratic institutions (such as parliamentary development, anti-corruption and electoral support), the Programme Specialist will also oversee UNDP’s assistance to capacity building in the national HIV/AIDS response with a focus on the governance of the national response to HIV/AIDS and the protection of the human rights of populations most at risk.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Design of projects in alignment with the overall strategic direction of the UNDAP and UNDP Country Programme (Common Country Programme)
- Lead role in the provision of top quality policy and development advisory services to national partners and effective programme management for results.
- Substantive lead role in and coordination support to the implementation of the UNDAP and the Delivering as One (DaO) initiative.
- Strategic partnerships building and implementation of resource mobilization efforts (UNDP and UN-wide).
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge management.
1. Contributes to the strategic direction of the UNDAP and design of UNDP/joint UN programmeinterventionsfocusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of UNDAP and other programmatic documents.
- Identification of strategic and innovative areas of cooperation and programmatic synergies to advance UN reform/harmonization and alignment agenda.
- Formulation of programme activities in line with the UNDAP; results-based planning of UNDAP / UNDP projects.
- Effective mainstreaming of gender and other key cross-cutting considerations in UNDP’s programme planning and project implementation.
- Application of other core UNDP/UN sector and programming policies and approaches, such as capacity development, South-South cooperation, and focus on national transformative impact.
- Analysis and application of UNDP policies and practices in the sectors concerned and provision of advice based on best practices to CO management.
- Adjustment of programme strategies in response to changes in the country context.
Lead role in provision of top quality policy and development advisory services to national partners focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of top quality policy advisory services to the Government in the Practice area.
- Identification of opportunities for advocacy in support of programme goals and objectives
- Substantive support to national counterparts in policy planning and advocacy.
- Identification of sectoral and programmatic needs and related policy-driven issues, and development of relevant strategies that would address the needs identified in collaboration with the Government and other key partners.
- Application and dissemination of UNDP global best practices to national counterparts through policy support activities.
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment and recommendations to support timely readjustment of projects.
Substantive leadership, monitoring and coordination support to the implementation of the UNDAP and the Delivering as One (DaO) initiative, focusing on achievement of the following:
- Effective contribution by UNDP to the activities of the UNDAP Programme Working Group, fulfilling Lead, coordinating and/or contributing roles as applicable;
- The UN speaks with One Voice in the Programme Area; effective and coordinated UN representation in donor coordination forums
- Participation and leadership in the joint identification of programmatic and policy issues to be addressed and formulation of joint programme strategies.
- Substantive inputs to the preparation of the Annual Work Plan for the PWG concerned, in close consultation with all partners involved.
- Monitoring of results achieved under AWP and UNDAP, ensuring UNDP’s high-quality contribution to the joint UN annual programme review exercise.
- Timely reporting on the AWP in the sector(s) concerned and timely inputs provided to the Annual UN Report on UNDAP and DaO Matrix.
- Monitoring the achievement of project results and regular reporting in Atlas project management module. Participation in, and support to, nationally led monitoring activities.
- Implementation of UNDP’s Evaluation Policy in the programme area and projects concerned through evaluation planning and management.
- Oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of designated UNDP projects, and monitoring the use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Effective and efficient programme management and performance as Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development projects.
. Establishes and maintainsstrategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to national leadership in the full programme cycle of planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation
- Development and implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes.
- Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
- Active contribution to the implementation of the UN Resource Mobilization Strategy.
- 5. Ensures facilitation of communication, dissemination, knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- UNDP communication strategies mainstreamed in project implementation
- Dissemination of project results through the production of ‘stories’ and knowledge products
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of knowledge sharing sessions and trainings for the CO and UN teams on sector-specific subjects, themes and related programmatic issues.
- Optimal use of UNDP corporate resources for intranet, CO website, Teamworks, and knowledge networks.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall success of the UN Reform in Tanzania and the Delivering as One initiative, and achieving the UNDAP and UNDP goals. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
q Creates effective advocacy strategies
q Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
q Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
q Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
q Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
q Participates in the formulation of project proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships
q Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
q Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
q Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
q Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
q Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
q Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
q Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
- Perfomed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level.
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
- Demonstrated knowledge in key disciplines of democratic governance, such as parliamentary development, anti-corruption, human rights, and access to justice.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Good communications skills. Fluency in spoken and written English and Kiswahili
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.