RE-ADVERTISEMENT - UN WOMEN OPERATIONS MANAGER (FOR RWANDAN NATIONALS ONLY)
|Application Deadline :||27-Jan-14|
|Additional Category||Women’s Empowerment|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-C|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year renewable|
Applicants who previously applied need not re-apply.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality as enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts.
Under the direct supervision of the UN Women Representative, the Operations Manager serves as a member of the senior management team, with oversight responsibilities for all aspects of CO operations, This includes strategic financial and human resources management, efficient procurement and logistical services, security management, ICT and common services consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The Operations Manager additionally serves as a key advisor to the UN Women Representative on matters of organizational integrity with the aim of ensuring: (i) compliance with UN Women policies and regulations; (ii) effective systems to support programme delivery and growth; (iii) accountability to organizational values and principles; and (iv) an enabling workplace environment in which staff potential is maximized.
The Operations Manager leads and guides the CO Operations Team and fosters collaboration within the team, with programme staff and with other UN Agencies and a client-oriented approach. The Operations Manager works in close collaboration with programme teams in the Office, providing close guidance to programme staff who perform adjunct operations functions, ensuring that such staff are knowledgeable of rules and procedures governing programme finances, donor reporting, and personnel. She/he also works in collaboration with operations staff in other UN Agencies, UN Women Regional Office and HQ staff and Government officials to successfully deliver operations services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Lead and guide the Operations Team in the provision of results-oriented support services;
- Ensure oversight, quality assurance, and compliance with corporate guiding principles, rules, policies, and strategies in the area of Operations;
- Manage budgetary planning, monitoring and financial administration;
- Ensure the provision of the full range HRM services (e.g. recruitment, contract administration, staff development, etc.) to the Office;
- Provide efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision through the Procurement team;
- Information and communication management and supervision of ICT team;
- Common Services organization and management, establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies;
- Focal Point for security issues, and ensures security plans and related infrastructure is in place.
Lead and guide the Operations Team in the provision of results-oriented support services.
- Serve as a member of the senior management team. Provide advice and support to the UN Women Representative on operational issues;
- Consult within Office and with all Operations staff to develop an annual workplan for the Operations Team;
- In collaboration with the Operations team review the quality and timeliness of services provided by reference to corporate standards and by reference to standards/indicators established within the Office or Operations Unit;
- Plan and monitor staff leave and absences such that there is minimal disruption to Operations services;
- Carry out objective performance monitoring of the work of the Team, and ensure performance monitoring and evaluation of each individual staff member within it.
Ensure oversight, quality assurance, and compliance with corporate guiding principles, rules, policies, and strategies in the area of Operations
- Ensure compliance of operations with UN/UN Women rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results;
- Lead and manage Office business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services;
- Monitor and analyse the operating environment, timely readjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment;
- Lead Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the Office, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to relevant knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Participate in Operations Management Team for effectiveness, efficiency, coherence and impact of UN operational activities;
- Work closely with Regional Office and HQ on follow-up to audit recommendations and observations;
- Manage budgetary planning, monitoring and financial administration.
Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations
- Lead proper management of the contributions management business process and accounting for contributions to ensure that the money due to UN Women is properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation;
- Perform Manager Level 2 role in ATLAS for voucher and PO approvals;
- Monitor financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigate anomalies or unusual transactions. Provide information to supervisors and other UN Women staff at Regional Office/HQ of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained;
- Ensure all financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures;
- Ensure full compliance with UN Women rules, regulations and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow up on audit recommendations, implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client oriented financial resources management system;
- Lead finance business processes mapping and elaboration /establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance, control of workflows in the Finance unit;
- Continuously analyze and monitor financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects;
- Organize and oversee Office cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of impress level, risk assessment, timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
Ensure the provision of the full range HRM services (e.g. recruitment, contract administration, staff development, etc.) to the CO
- Ensure Office compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies;
- Oversee and manage recruitment processes in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations;
- Lead contract management including appropriate use of different contractual modalities, and effective timely contract management. Ensure timely recruitment by good human resource planning and a proactive approach to ensuring the Office is fully staffed at all times;
- Establish, maintain and implement the proper performance management;
- Help implement the Universal Access strategy on learning ensuring access of the staff to role appropriate learning activities;
- Ensure proper administration of staff benefits and entitlements and ensure staff is advised on request on entitlements;
- Engage fully in change management when adapting organizational structure and staffing to new programme realities.
Provide efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision through the Procurement team
- Ensure Office compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the Office procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement;
- Manage the Office contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications;
- Oversee procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations;
- Ensure proper management of UN Women assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of assets.
Information and communication management and supervision of ICT team
- Manage the usage of ATLAS functionality for improved business results and improved client services;
- Identify opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability;
- Lead maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries;
- Ensure identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
Common Services organization and management, establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies
- Ensure integrated activities on common services within the context of the UN reform;
- Implement common services in line with the latest developments in common services and best practices;
- Establish collaborate arrangements with UN agencies, potential partners, ensuring a client relationship management system for appropriate operational partnership arrangements;
Focal Point for security issues, and ensures security plans and related infrastructure is in place.
- Act as the UN Women Security Focal Point, ensuring effective functioning of systems, including those to ensure the safety and security of UN Women staff in accordance with UN rules and regulations. Brief Supervisor and staff on security matters and disseminate relevant information as advised by UNDSS;
- Ensure full compliance of MOSS and MORSS procedures on security of staff and office premises;
- Liaise with HQ-based Security Adviser or his/her designated staff member on all security matters;
- Ensure that personnel request appropriate security clearance for travel;
- Ensure that Office personnel and UN Women visitors are briefed on security.
Core Values Integrity:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Core competencies Ethics and Values:
Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity; Organizational Awareness
Development and Innovation:
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Work in teams:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects;
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients, focusing on impact and result for the client and responding positively to feedback;
- Model and promote transparency, honesty and openness;
- Lead teams effectively, demonstrating emotional intelligence and good judgment. Good mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrate understanding of client’s perspective;
- Demonstrate a respect for confidentiality when dealing with individual staff members issues;
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in managing staff and operational systems;
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft;
- Experience of accrual accounting, IPSAS or IFRS is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of French required.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.