INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT, DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
||New Delhi, INDIA
|Application Deadline :||07-Sep-13|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Six months, Twenty Two working days per month.|
The Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India and the UNDP have signed a letter of collaboration for UNDP’s support to the rural employment and livelihood programmes in India during the twelfth five year plan (2013-2017). This collaboration titled ‘Governance and Accelerated Livelihood Security (GOALS)’ has a component on strengthening the effectiveness of rural development programmes with a special focus on the livelihoods and employment in 12 districts affected by left-wing extremism of Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Jharkhand.
Implemented over a period of five years, the programme initiatives in left wing extremism affected districts will focus on engaging communities for building skills and livelihoods of the local communities focusing especially on tribal women and youth and supporting governments at state and district level in their efforts to effectively respond to the development needs and aspirations of communities in the districts affected by left wing extremism. Emphasis will be laid on ensuring delivery under Government of India’s flagship programmes namely Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme and National Rural Livelihood Mission in addition to providing innovative financial intermediation for local tribal entrepreneurs. The project will also focus intensively on building the capacity of communities and other stakeholders by generating awareness on rights & entitlements and mobilizing tribal youth for participatory planning.
Project specific activities include supporting social mobilization, establishment of collective enterprises around non-timber forest produce and agricultural products, skill training for employment in public and private sectors, capacity building especially of tribal women and youth for greater representation in local governance and in planning, implementation and monitoring of flagship government programmes.
UNDP in partnership with the Ministry of Rural Development and state governments aims to design and implement a strategy that responds to the situation that has resulted over time due to the rise of left-wing extremism.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator/UNDP Resident Representative, the Development Specialist will:
- Undertake a strategic situation analysis using a political economy framework for the selected states and districts;
- Identify appropriate strategic responses for UNDP to assist national, state and local actors and identify relevant ‘entry points’;
- Support the development of the project framework and strategy as well as successful implementation of the project with clear milestones and monitorable targets;
- Detail out project implementation arrangements at different levels with an appropriate human resource plan;
- Assist in the development and strengthening of state and local institutions and processes for building trust and community engagement;
- Provide strategic and analytical support to specific targeted initiatives as requested by national counterparts;
- Develop a communication plan with clearly defined protocols at different levels in consultation with relevant departments and agencies at state and district level so as to elicit collaboration across sectors on strategic and programmatic matters;
- Support capacity building and training of UNDP staff, project personnel and local partners for effective implementation in left wing extremism affected areas;
- Identifying national and international best practices and designing a broad framework for knowledge management for the project.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
Functional/Technical Competencies: Substantive and technical expertise in the following areas:
- Situation analysis/assessment tools;
- Facilitating multi-stakeholder national/local dialogues;
- Outstanding knowledge of facilitation/training, process and co-ordination skills;
- Extensive experience providing policy advice (including report writing) at international level;
- Experience in multi-stakeholder advocacy for positively influencing policy processes;
- Knowledge of UN/bilateral agencies rules, regulations, policies, procedures and practices;
- Understanding of UN/bilateral agencies programming modalities, particularly in situations similar to the project area.
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment;
- Excellent supervisory, team-building, diplomatic and interpersonal skills;
- Resourcefulness, initiative and maturity of judgment;
- Strong communications, advocacy and resource mobilization skills.
- Strong communication and advocacy skills;
- Ability to work in a complex environment requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors;
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity, tact and diplomacy;
- Excellent analytical, organizational and negotiation skills, especially resource management systems;
- Excellent networking skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree in social sciences, preferably with a specialization in development studies and related areas.
Years of experience:
- 15 years of substantive international experience in designing / facilitating / implementing intergroup processes and transformative development programmes;
- Related experience in participatory development and country or region-specific familiarity is an asset;
- Well-developed skills and demonstrated experience in facilitation, consensus-building, multi-stakeholder dialogue processes, mediation and negotiation in crisis situations;
- Knowledge of relevant methodologies applicable in situations prevalent in the project areas;
- Specific experience of designing and delivering of training in large scale programmes for situations similar to the project area;
- Demonstrable ability to work in a team environment, and to strengthen all team members through collective action and individual initiative;
- Demonstrable ability to engage with sensitivity, strategic foresight, and political acumen in situations involving multiple especially political – actors and stakeholders;
- Experience in strategy and programme development;
- Experience in enhancing women’s participation in dialogue and consensus building processes is also a highly desirable skill;
- Experience in usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Excellent command over English language is required.
Submission of Proposal:
Proposed Work Methodology:
- Proposed work methodology or work plan for execution of work has to be submitted.
- Consultant should submit his/her updated CV with three references.
- Any kind of miscelleanous charges i.e. internet, phone etc. would not be reimbursed;
- Individuals working with institutions may also apply, contract would be issued in the name of institution for the specific services of individual;
- Please note proposals without financial proposal will not be considered;
- Methodology of Work, CV and Financial proposal can be clubbed in one file for uploading.
- Consultant will be paid on a monthly basis depending on number of days spent on the assignment during the month and certificate of satisfactory completion of deliverables as per agreed work plan to be drawn in consultation with UNDP after contract issuance.
Evaluation Method and Criteria:
The award of the contract shall be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Technical Criteria weight - 70%.
Financial Criteria weight - 30%.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points (70% of the total technical points) would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
Criteria for Technical Evaluation would be as under:
- Qualification - 15%;
- International experience in designing/facilitating/implementing intergroup processes and transformative development programmes - 15%.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitation, consensus building, multi-stakeholder dialogue-15%
- Submission of relevant methodologies applicable in the project areas-10%
- Experience of designing and delivering of training in large scale programmes-15
Please note proposal has to be sent on line only through 'Apply On' function on the website, no proposal sent directly on above email id would be accepted.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.