Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of Information Management systems and strategies
- Support to IM database processing
- Effective functioning of the OCHA ROCCA hardware and software packages
- Support to networks administration
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Key Responsibilities in areas of Preparedness and Emergency response:
- Develops Who-does-What-Where databases, contact management, contact directories and website template
- Maintains good relationships with statistics offices and geographic departments of Central Asian and Caucuses countries to promote data sharing and transparency
- Work closely with clients to identify their needs and advise on the GIS products and services that ROCCA can offer
- Develop strong links with GIS staff in other organizations to promote coordination and information sharing among organizations
- Provision of ICT support to key events
- Ensures up-to-date operations of Lotus Notes, Field Data Management System (FiDMS)
- Liaises with Information Technology Section (ITS) in headquarters to facilitate completion of service requests or IT support
- Manages information to support OCHA and the United Nations system, as well as partner organizations, prevent, mitigate, manage, and recover from humanitarian disasters and emergencies
- Determines the primary data and information elements that are required internally and externally to support inter-cluster coordination and humanitarian decision-making
- Supports strategic and operational decision-making by processing and analyzing data and information and presenting it in the format most useful for analysis (e.g. reports, maps).
- Develops a client oriented approach with all relevant stakeholders to help identify their priority information requirements.
- Designs and implements a dissemination plan for all information products produced by OCHA (e.g. situation reports, data, maps).
- Provides training to OCHA staff on OCHA's information systems and standards.
- Undertakes data preparedness activities in support of OCHA's response preparedness and contingency planning efforts.
- Establishes and maintains an information network at the national level to facilitate humanitarian information exchange and the promotion of data and information sharing protocols, in particular those developed and endorsed by the Inter-Agency Standing Committee.
- If necessary, oversees technical staff in the development of databases and other applications to support the collection and processing of context specific data (e.g.: affected population, displaced populations, demographic and vulnerability data, results of common rapid needs assessment etc.).
- Supports the advocacy, communication and reporting functions of the Office through the collection, processing, storage and retrieval of documents, including images, of emergencies and vulnerability, as well as relief operations.
- If required, manages OCHA staff working directly on information management and information technology activities
- In collaboration with the Information Services Section (ISS) and the Field Information Services Unit (FISU), apply global information management standards, policies and procedures to guide related activities within the Office
- Deploys for a period of several weeks to large-scale emergencies in the region to assist in the set-up of emergency information management structures and tools
- Maintains products, including meeting schedules, contact lists and mapping products
- Produces reference and thematic maps to assist in the planning and decision making of emergency response operations
- Any other related tasks as assigned by the IMO
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the OCHA Regional Office including improved business results and client services. Forward-looking Information Management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision.