- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Fiji (Multi-country Office)
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- About Us
- News Centre
National Information Management Officer, OCHA ROCCA (only for Kazakhstan citizens)
|Location :||Almaty, KAZAKHSTAN|
|Application Deadline :||08-Oct-13 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Additional Category :||Management|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-A|
|Languages Required :||English Russian|
|Duration of Initial Contract :||12 months|
The National Information Management Officer works under direct supervisionof the Information Management Officer (IMO), supporting the information management activities of the OCHA Regional Office for the Caucasus and Central Asia (ROCCA).
The National Information Management Officer will ensure data collection, processing and visualization, including mapping. S/he will also be responsible for providing IT support to colleagues working in ROCCA.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of Information Management systems and strategies
- Support to IM database processing
- Effective functioning of the OCHA ROCCA hardware and software packages
- Support to networks administration
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Key Responsibilities in areas of Preparedness and Emergency response:
- Develops Who-does-What-Where databases, contact management, contact directories and website template
- Maintains good relationships with statistics offices and geographic departments of Central Asian and Caucuses countries to promote data sharing and transparency
- Work closely with clients to identify their needs and advise on the GIS products and services that ROCCA can offer
- Develop strong links with GIS staff in other organizations to promote coordination and information sharing among organizations
- Provision of ICT support to key events
- Ensures up-to-date operations of Lotus Notes, Field Data Management System (FiDMS)
- Liaises with Information Technology Section (ITS) in headquarters to facilitate completion of service requests or IT support
- Manages information to support OCHA and the United Nations system, as well as partner organizations, prevent, mitigate, manage, and recover from humanitarian disasters and emergencies
- Determines the primary data and information elements that are required internally and externally to support inter-cluster coordination and humanitarian decision-making
- Supports strategic and operational decision-making by processing and analyzing data and information and presenting it in the format most useful for analysis (e.g. reports, maps).
- Develops a client oriented approach with all relevant stakeholders to help identify their priority information requirements.
- Designs and implements a dissemination plan for all information products produced by OCHA (e.g. situation reports, data, maps).
- Provides training to OCHA staff on OCHA's information systems and standards.
- Undertakes data preparedness activities in support of OCHA's response preparedness and contingency planning efforts.
- Establishes and maintains an information network at the national level to facilitate humanitarian information exchange and the promotion of data and information sharing protocols, in particular those developed and endorsed by the Inter-Agency Standing Committee.
- If necessary, oversees technical staff in the development of databases and other applications to support the collection and processing of context specific data (e.g.: affected population, displaced populations, demographic and vulnerability data, results of common rapid needs assessment etc.).
- Supports the advocacy, communication and reporting functions of the Office through the collection, processing, storage and retrieval of documents, including images, of emergencies and vulnerability, as well as relief operations.
- If required, manages OCHA staff working directly on information management and information technology activities
- In collaboration with the Information Services Section (ISS) and the Field Information Services Unit (FISU), apply global information management standards, policies and procedures to guide related activities within the Office
- Deploys for a period of several weeks to large-scale emergencies in the region to assist in the set-up of emergency information management structures and tools
- Maintains products, including meeting schedules, contact lists and mapping products
- Produces reference and thematic maps to assist in the planning and decision making of emergency response operations
- Any other related tasks as assigned by the IMO
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the OCHA Regional Office including improved business results and client services. Forward-looking Information Management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Strategic Alignment of Management Practice (HQ & RSCs)
- Gathers information on best practices in the relevant management practice in his/her area of responsibility
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in information systems, information science, business administration, disaster and emergency management, or related area is required.
A first-level university degree (i.e. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in one of the above mentioned academic disciplines in combination with qualifying relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in managing information or IT including support to management of hardware and software platforms, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications, and database development;
Experience with ArcGIS, MapInfo or other GIS tools is an advantage;
Knowledge of Drupal, PHP, ASP programming and format encoding is required;
Experience in graphic design, multimedia and products branding an advantage;
Experience in the design and development of surveys, including user requirements, form design, survey implementation, data entry, data cleaning and analysis an advantage;
Ability to communicate with technical as well as non-technical people
Ability to prioritize multiple tasks within an environment where many interruptions occur
Ability to work with multi-cultural teams and international professionals
Availability and fitness for travel within the region
Ability to work under stress and under tight deadlines
Language Requirements: Fluent written and spoken Russian and English
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.