FINANCE SPECIALIST, UN WOMEN REGIONAL OFFICE FOR ARAB STATES, CAIRO, EGYPT
|Application Deadline :||15-Oct-13|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-C|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Finance Specialist reports to the Operations Manager for guidance and supervision and is responsible for providing assistance to offices in the Region as necessary to ensure capacity and support; assistance with development projects for the finance users of UN Women for better business practices and controls as well as automation; ensuring all finance users are compliant with and trained in the accounting standards, financial regulations and rules, policies and procedures; assisting Finance Section HQ in dedicated support, training, advice for Regional Office, Multi-Country Offices and COs (RO/MCOs/COs); and acts as the Audit focal point for the Region in co-ordination with Finance Section HQ, as well as finance users in ROs and MCOs/COs.
The Finance Specialist supervises and leads support staff of the Finance Sub-Unit. The Finance Specialist works in close collaboration with Finance Section HQ, Programme and Operations colleagues, teams at the country level, UNDP staff and Government officials ensuring high performance and efficiency in Finance.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Provide rotational redundancy for COs during times of extended leave (as necessary) to ensure continuation of financial services;
- Perform Finance role in RO and COs as necessary. Travel to COs to perform Finance redundancy role or alternatively, perform this role from RO where it is not possible or costly to perform in situations;
- Assist with the implementation of the communication plan and monitor the effectiveness on a regular basis to ensure close relationship between Finance Section and Finance Users in RO and COs;
- Promote pro-actively and support Finance Users in RO and COs with cost effective tools such as Skype, webinars, SharePoint, and online forums. Support development projects for ensuring such effective tools are in place and regularly monitored for improvements with feedback from Finance Users at HQ, RO, and COs;
- Lead the Implementation of the approved Training plans (specifically ATLAS and IPSAS) in conjunction with Finance Section HQ on a recurrent basis to ensure competency across all Finance Users of UN Women. Implement the Induction Training plan in a methodology that new Finance Users can access on day one of taking up post and provide support to new Finance Users in respective Regional area;
- Provide dedicated remote focal point support for Finance Users at RO and COs on a timely basis. Perform the Finance Helpdesk function for RO and COs to ensure accurate and timely response to issues and advice requested in conjunction with Finance Section HQ.
Financial planning, analysis, management and services
- Recommend and/or implement cost saving and reduction strategies including cost recovery strategies and cost effective financial arrangements;
- Review, recommend and implement and/or verify financial transactions/activities, recording/reporting system and audit reports and ensure full compliance with and consistent approach to UN Women internal control framework, financial rules, regulations and financial policies and procedures. Co-ordinate with Finance Section HQ on suggestions for amendments;
- Review, recommend and oversee the financial business processes and use of Atlas system to ensure accurate and complete reporting of financial transactions by UN Women staff in accordance with the Internal Control Framework and Delegation of Authority and the timely flow of financial information in UN Women for management, monitoring and oversight purposes;
- Financial analysis and oversight for all resources managed by the RO and provision of high-quality professional advice to the CO management.
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations;
- Organization and oversight of cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, security for cash assets on site;
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects;
- Assistance with tracking and reporting of contributions within the resource mobilization efforts, including pipeline, contracted and overdue and future milestones. Review of aged contributions receivables and provision of information to Operations Manager for follow up.
Financial tasks, approving and certifying function
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, matching exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues;
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for proper financial planning for review by the Operations Manager and submission to UNDP;
- Perform delegated approval function in Atlas on a timely basis;
- Review and provide financial clearance of all donor agreements as delegated for compliance with standard agreements on a timely basis.
Monitoring, oversight and control
- Monitor financial systems and reports for unusual activities, transaction, investigate anomalies. Report jointly to the Operations Manager and Chief of Accounts findings and recommendations for actions/decisions;
- Supervise the timely completion of the Month-end Instructions Checklist and assist Operations Manager with activities as requested and follow up with responsible persons to ensure completion by relevant date. Upload certified Month-end Instructions Checklist and other items required by the relevant date;
- Supervise and assist COs with timely completion of their Month-end Instructions Checklist. Report to Chief of Accounts any case of non-adherence for timely action;
- Supervise the timely completion of the Year-end Instructions Closure Checklist and assist Operations Manager with activities as requested and follow up with responsible persons to ensure completion by relevant date. Upload certified Year-end Instructions Checklist and other items required by the relevant date. Report to Chief of Accounts any case of non-adherence for timely action;
- Assist and respond in a timely manner to questions and provide analysis as requested by Finance Section HQ.
- Prepare all financial reports in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and ensure continued compliance. Monitor RO and COs for compliance with IPSAS accounting standards by reviewing business processes and systems modules resulting in IPSAS compliant general ledger and financial statements. Report non-adherence to Chief of Accounts and propose action plan for corrective action for RO and/or COs and support the implementation of the approved action plan;
- For RO and COs review Implementing Partner advance procedures and test against UN Women policies to ensure compliance. Investigate and follow up on any anomalies for timely action and resolution. Report to the Operations Manager and Chief of Accounts findings and recommendations for actions/decisions.
Project budget management
- Management of all financial resources through planning, guiding, monitoring and controlling of the resources in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations;
- Preparation and monitoring of projects’ budgets in Atlas. Providing necessary support to the RO in planning and set-up of the budgets under UN Women Management/ Development Results Framework;
- Regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation of management projects.
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management;
- Collection of information on internal and external clients’ satisfaction and needs in order to develop improvements to services;
- Ensuring that advance payments and direct payments for programme implementation properly reviewed and made on a timely basis, as well as ensuring that payment information is properly recorded into the Atlas system on a timely basis;
- Submission of financial information for timely preparation of donor reports.
Advisory support and technical guidance
- Assist with financial risk assessment reviews for RO and COs, identifying areas of risk and providing recommendations and action plans for addressing issues raised;
- Provide recommendations to Operations Manager and Chief of Accounts for improvements to existing reports and development of new reports. Identify and assist to develop projects for the Finance Users for improvement in accounting systems, processes and procedures.
In accordance with the timelines required by Chief of Section provide assistance with:
- Prepare timely and accurate automated interim financial reports to governments and donors as required under the donor agreements, Trust Funds and other cost-sharing arrangements;
- Prepare ad-hoc Donor and other reports, as requested;
- Follow up and/or take prompt action to respond to audit and other findings on financial management.
Knowledge management and capacity building
- Contribute to and actively promote the automation of UN Women reports, including priorities such as automating manual processes after consultation with the Finance Section HQ;
- Contribute to the development of accounting policies, procedures, internal control, business flows, reporting and systems;
- Identify, participate in the development and/or recommend enhancement/updates/improvement in Atlas financial modules for better business practices and controls at RO and COs;
- Capture, synthesize and/or codify lessons learned and best practices in RO and COs support and Financial management and services. Disseminate to Finance Section HQ to share knowledge and build capacity;
- Design and/or introduce, learning tools, best practices and innovations in financial business operational practices and management, promoting transparency, ease of communications, hosting of financial documents, and all policies and procedures between all UN Women users of RO data.
- Facilitate the Pre-audit preparations for financial management of the RO and assist COs as required in their pre-audit preparations;
- Conduct training for RO, and COs as part of the Training plan or requirement of pre-audit preparations or as otherwise determined by Operations Manager or Chief of Accounts;
- Prepare responses to internal and external audit inquiries and other findings related to financial management for review/approval by Operations Manager and Chief of Accounts;
- Follow up and/or take prompt action to respond to audit and other findings on financial management including incorporating recommendations in development in policies, procedures and practices.
Supervisory and other responsibilities
- Provide guidance, direction and technical supervision of Finance staff of RO and COs as needed;
- Establish RCA for each member of the Finance team based on the work plan and ensure preparation and review meets established timelines;
- Rotates duties within the Finance Section HQ at similar level at the request of Chief of Accounts and with the approval of RO, for cross training and reassignment as necessary to the functioning of the Finance Section HQ;
- Performs other responsibilities as requested by Operations Manager or Chief of Accounts.
The key results have an impact on the effective and efficient management of the Regional area. Sound policies and advice within the specialist area, proper oversight, control and monitoring of program and project financial resources and timely and accurate financial reporting enhance the UN Women reputation with governments, donors as a trusted partner and reliable custodian of funds and foster a culture of accountability.
Core values/Guiding principles Integrity:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Core competencies Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
Development and Innovation:
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Work in teams:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Conceptual/strategic skills and success in implementing financial re-engineering, management systems; development, policy design, innovation and knowledge product development;
- Demonstrated business acumen and judgment;
- Ability to travel for extended periods with planned work commitments is required;
- bility to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Ability to successfully lead the Finance Team;
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
5 years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, financial management and at least (2) years of which should be at the supervisory level, in a large international and/or corporate organization, preferably in the UN system and its organizations.
Experience with IPSAS or IFRS highly desirable.
Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
Experience in web based management systems and ERP financial systems such as PeopleSoft.
Strong knowledge and expertise in financial planning and management, accounting, and in complex financial rules and a regulations, preferably UN/UNDP/UN Women Financial Rules and regulations.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.