MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST (FLEET MAINTENANCE & MANAGEMENT)
||Dili, Timor Leste
|Application Deadline :||23-Oct-13|
|Additional Category||Crisis Prevention and Recovery|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year with posible extension|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 year with posible extension|
|With national elections in Timor-Leste held in 2012, formation of the new government and UNMIT’s mandate ending at the end of 2012, UNDP has taken steps to assume larger roles and responsibilities in supporting capacity development of national police services. The project Strengthening National Police Capacity in Timor-Leste, initiated in 2011, was intended to develop capacities of the Timorese National Police (PNTL) to deliver quality police services to the population of Timor-Leste following resumption of executive policing over the national territory, and to maintain stability during the potentially sensitive period of the 2012 national elections and UNMIT draw-down.
The current project is about supporting capacity development of the PNTL in post-UNMIT environment. It provided a platform for increasing UNDP’s engagement on policing in 2013 and 2014 in collaboration with other UN entities and bilateral actors present in the country. UNDP’s assistance will focus on strategic planning, database management, HRM and assets management, fleet maintenance and management and administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
The Fleet Management Specialist will be responsible for managing the delivery of his/her outputs in a timely manner. Specifically, he/she is responsible for:
- Be responsible for fleet maintenance and management;
- Develop fleet policies and procedures;
- Provide trainings on fleet maintenance and management;
- Schedule fleet repairs and maintenance requirements;
- Create and maintain a database;
- Be responsible to plan, organize, and oversee the implementation of an efficient fleet maintenance system including resource planning, staffing needs, policies and regulations, work plans, milestones, guidelines;
- Advise Fleet Management Unit on vehicle matters, including but not limited to the impact of licensing, inspections, registrations and insurance;
- Develop an effective reporting system to assure that services are provided properly and in timely fashion;
- Provide trainings on fleet maintenance and management;
- Assist to Fleet Maintenance Unit in the assessment of maintenance demands, preparation of maintenance plans and servicing schedules;
- Develop and maintain a master schedule of vehicle fuel usage;
- Provide a technical assistance in installation and maintenance of fleet mechanical equipment, motors and other machines and apparatus;
- Develop fleet policies and procedures to maintain and monitor all safety standards in conformance with regulations;
- Ensure that all officers adhere to policy and procedures for vehicles;
- Maintain a central record of use of all vehicular units, including running cost;
- Compile and prepare detailed and complex transportation reports and records;
- Develop management of spare and repair parts;
- Coordinate with Procurement and Asset Management Unit;
- Submit evaluation and progress report of a subsequent against annual work plan;
- Create and maintain a database for accident record keeping and monitoring of contracted vehicles;
- Perform other duties as required.
Impact of Results
The provision of holistic advice for the Head of Administration, the PNTL inspector General and the heads of Technical and administrative departments will enhance oversight capacity of the Fleet Maintenance and Management sector in PNTL. Sustainability is further enhanced through acquiring new knowledge and skills and ability to cope with new situations on the Fleet Maintenance and Management in PNTL.
The gradual transfer of technical skills to Timorese counterparts will lessen dependence of the PNTL on international expertise, and further strengthen national ownership of the Fleet Maintenance and Management sector development process.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Knowledge Management and Learning;
- Shares knowledge and experience and provides helpful advice to others in the office;
- Ability to develop systems for structuring, codifying and providing access to information and knowledge;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a diverse team in a complex and a highly demanding environment.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to provide technical support on human resources management, tools and processes
- Good knowledge of HRM systems, Microsoft Windows, knowledge of Microsoft Windows network administration;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new systems.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity;
- The successful candidate must demonstrate considerable mentoring skills and an ability to work effectively in a collaborative setting.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University degree (Master's degree or equivalent) preferably in engineering, technology or related area.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in fleet maintenance and management, and related;
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in word processing and good knowledge of fleet maintenance databases;
- Experience at the municipal or regional government level preferred, particularly in organizations with 300 or more vehicles;
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills are a must, as are skills in capital needs forecasting and budgeting;
- Good knowledge of police administration issues;
- Experience in working in UNDP Country Offices especially in crisis prevention and recovery context;
- Understanding of Timor-Leste context is advantage.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this post, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required;
- Knowledge of Portuguese or Tetum is highly desirable.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.