|Application Deadline :||27-Oct-13|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-3|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UN Women Representative and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Upon the request of the supervisor, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Office, consultants and experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel only but this can include visiting Officials (Government, UN, Embassy Officials, etc.);
- Ensuring that all passengers wear their seat belts at all times in the vehicle;
- Enforcing the no smoking policy in the vehicle;
- Facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required;
- Escort: meet high-level official personnel at the airport and facilitate VIP missions, etc.;
- Collecting and deliver mail/correspondence to Government, Offices, Embassies, Commercial Establishments, UN Offices etc. Interact with Finance and Administration staff;
- Ensuring that all vehicles comply with the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS);
- Following strictly all rules and regulations in relation to the use and management of UN Women vehicles as provided by the Operations Unit;
- Ensuring that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Proper use of vehicle
- Log official trips in the official log books;
- Keep abreast of traffic rules and regulations as well as road security and safety awareness to enable safe on time arrival for meetings.
Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Ensure that the official vehicle is kept clean and is always in good working order;
- Provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
- Keep track of insurance and applicable tax formalities .
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining required records;
- Assist in the mailing and distribution of publications and payment of bills, as required.
Core values/Guiding principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent driving skills;
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions, and defensive driving skills;
- Skill in minor vehicle repairs;
- Professional appearance and punctuality;
- Good people skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. A valid Driver’s License.
Three year work experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record.
- Fluency in Arabic and ability to communicate in English is a plus.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.