PROGRAMME ANALYST- GENDER BASED VIOLENCE
|Application Deadline :||15-Nov-13|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||one year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||one year|
UN Women (UNW),grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN WOMEN will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In Kenya, the UN Women Country Programme contributes to the development objectives of Kenya’s blue print, the Vision 2030 and is aligned to the United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF) of 2009-2014 and the upcoming UNDAF of 2014-2018, as well as UN Women Global Strategic Plan.
The Kenya Country Programme - “Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Gains Consolidated' - aims to achieve the following results:
- (i) increased women’s leadership and participation in governance;
- (ii) strengthened women’s economic empowerment;
- (iii) increased protection of women & access to justice for women; and
- (iv) strengthened women’s leadership in peace building and humanitarian response.
It is in this context that UN Women in Kenya is seeking to recruit a Programme Analyst focusing on gender based violence and access to justice. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Team Leader for the Socio-Economic Development Unit, the Programme Analyst is responsible for management of UN Women programme within the thematic area assigned. The Programme Analyst analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio, and provides policy advice services. The Programme Analyst leads and coordinates activities of the projects’ staff. He/she works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women country programme implementation
Duties and Responsibilities
|Summary of Key Functions:
Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of programme strategies;
- Management of the Kenya office programme;
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy;
- Provision of quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
Ensures effective management of the Kenya office programme within the thematic areas of gender based violence and access to justice focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to AWP, UN joint programmes and other documents;
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic areas of gender based violence and access to justice;
- Country office business processes mapping and preparation of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Effective application of Results Based Management (RBM) tools and monitoring achievement of results;
- Design and formulation of country office programme within the area of responsibility, translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones;
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, entering project into Atlas, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Programme;
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of implementing partners and projects;
- Follow up on audit recommendations and all exceptions are timely reported;
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes including preparation of donor reports.
Impact of Results:
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic area based on strategic goals of UN Women, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Ensures provision of quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals;
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
The key results have an impact on the success of the country programme within specific areas of cooperation. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
| |Core competencies
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UN Women’s mandate;
- Good knowledge and experience working on GBV and access to justice issues;
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly;
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches;
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors;
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Ability to draft and edit policy papers, speeches, briefings and talking points;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in gender programming, policy research and gender analysis, at least two of which should be directly related to the focus area;
- Experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Written and oral proficiency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.