URBAN GOVERNANCE EXPERT - NPPP II - (OPEN TO NEPALESE NATIONALS ONLY) - 4 POSITIONS - NEX PROJECT
||Sub-Metropolitan Cities: Biratnagar, Lalitpur, Birjung and Pokhara, NEPAL
|Application Deadline :||26-Dec-13|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||Other|
|Post Level :||Other|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Annual contract and extended based on performance|
|The Local Governance and Community Development Programme (LGCDP) is a national programme which is being implemented by the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development (MoFALD) and supported by a range of development partners. LGCDP’s Programme Document (PD) comprehensively describes LGCDP’s rationale and approach along with its vision, goals and purpose. The individual programme components and management arrangements are also fully described in the PD as is the Programme log frame and the results and reporting framework.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within the framework of LGCDP II, an Urban Governance Expert (UGE, NPPP II) will be posted in each of the 4 Sub – Metropolitan Cities. Scope of work
The Urban Governance Expert (UGE), who will be accountable to the Executive Officer (EO) , has ultimate operational responsibility for reporting and facilitation of the LGCDP II activities in the Sub Metropolitan City and to support improving their Minimum Conditions and Performance Measures (MCPM) assessment score. The UGE will provide technical support to the municipality for planning, programming, reporting and monitoring. S/he will work in close coordination with the Regional Coordination Unit (RCU).
The UGE will be responsible for carrying out following tasks:
Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to formulate strategic plans and guidelines
Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to be compliant with Local Body Resource Mobilization guidelines
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to formulate and implement periodic plan, capacity development plan, transport master plan and procurement plan;
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to prepare guidelines, manuals and monitoring & evaluation framework;
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to develop and implement Management Information System;
- Support the Sub-Metropolitan City to formulate district information, education and communication strategy.
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to formulate annual plan through participatory planning process by mobilizing Ward Citizen Forums;
- Assist the Integrated Plan Formulation Committee and sector committees to prioritize the projects demanded by communities;
- Assist Sub-Metropolitan City coordination and linkage with line agencies and other stakeholders;
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to prepare Annual Work plans and Project Funding Matrix;
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to prepare monitoring and evaluation plans and to timely inform concerned authorities to correct any misappropriations, mistakes and weaknesses;
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to conduct periodic reviews, public hearings and public/social auditing programme;
- Provide support to implement National Building Code in the Sub-Metropolitan City;
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City in preparing statuary reports and to publish these as required;
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City in improving compliance to vital registration and social security guidelines;
- Report any observation of financial irregularities to the EO.
Assist in effective LGCDP II implementation
- Provide support to compile the data from the Sub-Metropolitan City and prepare trimester and annual progress reports and submit to the Programme Coordination Unit regularly through the Regional Coordination Unit;
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to institutionalize cross-cutting issues such as Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI), Child Friendly Local Governance (CFLG) and Environment Friendly Local Governance (EFLG)
- Support the Sub-Metropolitan City to conduct Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), Environment Impact Assessment;
(EIA) and other environmental safeguards;
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City in facilitating civil society compliance monitoring activities such as public audit, public hearing, and social audit,
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to implement Fiduciary Risk Reduction Action Plan;
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City to introduce and implement web-based reporting and results based monitoring system;
- Backstop and supervise the work of the ICT volunteer deployed to the Sub-Metropolitan City;
- Support the Sub-Metropolitan City to introduce accrual accounting software;
- Assist the Sub- Metropolitan City to carry out studies to increase the internal source of revenue and to identify the potential sources of revenue.
Sub-Metropolitan City capacity development
- Assist the Sub-Metropolitan City in identifying municipal capacity gaps on the basis of MCPM assessment results;
- Assist the RCU in drawing up regional capacity development plans for local bodies;
- Facilitate improvement in Sub-Metropolitan City service delivery as assessed in the annual independent citizens’ perception survey (if applicable);
- Facilitate and coordinate capacity development activities at the local level;
- Participate in capacity development activities.
- Demonstrates integrity;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Focuses on impact and results and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors, at the senior levels;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
- In-depth knowledge on development and gender and social inclusion issues;
- Oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in social science, rural development and other related field.
- Should have 5 years of work experience in relevant field preferably in governance;
- Demonstrated track record of delivering high quality reports on time;
- Experience of having worked on a national, government-managed programme would be an advantage.
- Fluency command in English and Nepali language both in spoken and written.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.