- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Fiji (Multi-country Office)
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- About Us
- News Centre
Project Assistant, "Assistance in improving the system of provision and evaluation of public services", UNDP (only for Kazakhstan citizens)
|Location :||Astana, KAZAKHSTAN|
|Application Deadline :||24-Dec-13|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-2|
|Languages Required :||English Russian|
|Duration of Initial Contract :||12 months|
|Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager, Project Assistant provides logistical support to the project. Project Assistant works in close collaboration with the programme, projects staff of GLD Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Substantive Project support:
-Provides operational support to the project management;
-Prepares requests for direct payment, cash advances, reports on expenses, budget revisions and other required supporting documentation for all financial transactions; records these transactions accordingly;
-Provides logistical support and prepares background materials for use in workshops, seminars, training sessions, meetings, visiting missions, field trips, etc.;
-Establishes and maintains accurate and up-to-date filing system for the documents, keeps information and reference material in a manner which allows easy retrieval;
-Contributes to the preparation of status and progress reports by collecting information, preparing tables and drafting selected sections;
-Drafts and/or types correspondence, notes, documents, reports, prepares required contracts, keeps the necessary flow of correspondence;
-Receives telephone calls and visitors concerning the projects, responding directly where appropriate;
-Prepares unofficial translations and acts as interpreter.
2. Mission logistics and Workshop logistics:
-Assist in organizing meetings, workshops, conferences and missions.
3. Travel arrangements:
-Coordinate and assist in making travel arrangements for participants of the event, projects staff in connection with their domestic and international project-related travels;
- Prepare Requests for Services and Payments in accordance with UNDP rules.
4. Communication support:
-Draft external correspondence with projects’ partners and stakeholders, maintain files and assist in the preparation of documentation in advance of and following meetings;
-Assist in acquisition of letters of co-financing and support from stakeholders.
5. Project documentation and filing:
-Assist in compilation of regular project status reports;
-Maintain general office files and keep information and reference material in a manner that allows easy reference retrieval.
6. Any other business:
-Perform all necessary secretarial services such as photocopying, collection and distribution of incoming mail, dispatching outgoing mail; locating files etc;
-Perform other duties as may be required.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Solid knowledge of administrative and secretarial work; understanding of financial processes and accounting
- Good knowledge of computer and organizational technology.
- Ability to perform a broad range of activities related to workshop and meeting arrangements;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills for preparation of presentations and reports – in English and Russian;
- Ability to use information and communication technology as a tool and resource.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Excellent coordination skills to facilitate internal and external collaboration
- Builds strong relationships with stakeholders, focuses on impact and result and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Works effectively in a team and shows conflict resolution skills.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Ability to synthesize the lessons learnt and choose the best practices;
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to the achievement of the project development objectives.
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment across projects and countries; through active participation and contribution to UNDP social and knowledge networks
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Completed secondary level education required. First level university degree in finance, economics, or accounting is preferred.
At least 2 years of substantive experience working in administrative support, logistics or related fields
Ability to work in an environment requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors including government representatives, donors and other stakeholders
Experience of working in an international organisation is an asset
Excellent inter-personal, communication and organisational skills
Ability to work to tight deadlines and to handle multiple concurrent project components
Excellent computer skills (especially Microsoft office applications) and ability to use information technology as a tool and resource
Fluency in English and Russian
Knowledge of Kazakh is preferable
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.