ICT SUPPORT ASSISTANT
|Application Deadline :||07-Feb-14|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-5|
|Languages Required :||
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the ICT Specialist/Analyst or Associate, the ICT Support Assistant provides ICT and administrative support services to the ICT unit, provides daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure. The ICT Support Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach.
The ICT Support Assistant works in close collaboration with the Front Office, Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations teams in a large CO and UNDP HQ staff for resolving complex ICT-related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions
- Implementation of ICT management systems and strategies, and Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D);
- Effective functioning of the CO hardware and software packages;
- Support to networks administration;
- Provision of administrative support;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Supports implementation of ICT management systems and strategies, and ICT4D focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment;
- Support to the use of Atlas (UNDP’s implementation of ERP) functionality for improved business results and improved client services;
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Provision of inputs to preparation of results-oriented workplans;
- Provides an authoritative account of the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in contemporary development practice.
Ensures effective functioning of the CO hardware and software packages, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Performance of specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs;
- Assistance in the installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades;
- Assistance in upgrading patch and anti-virus programs on a timely basis;
- Monitoring of file server traffic, usage and performance on a frequent and regular basis;
- Support to users in backing up and restoring their files, as well as in virus detection, removal and prevention.
Supports networks administration, focusing on achievement of the following results
- Assistance in trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems;
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access;
- Assistance in backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Assistance to organization of off-site storage of backups.
Provides administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results
- Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of software and hardware;
- Maintenance of a library of ICT related reference materials:
- Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit;
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Extraction of data from various sources;
- Research and retrieval of l data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports as required;
- Participate to the ONE UN ICT Working Group and provide substantive input;
- Provision of ICT support to key events.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation and assistance in the organization of training for the CO staff on ICT issues;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the Country Office including improved business results and client services. Forward-looking ICT management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintaining information and databases;
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Basic research and analysis;
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures;
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Strategic Alignment of Management Practice (HQ & RSCs)
- Collecting information, identifying best practice;
- Gathers information on best practices in the relevant management practice in his/her area of responsibility.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems;
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
- Maintains effective client relationships;
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathering and disseminating information;
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge; management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education with relevant certifications in hardware and software management and application, Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) required. If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within 6 months;
- University Degree in Computer Science would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years of relevant working experience, including network administration, support to management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.