- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Fiji (Multi-country Office)
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- About Us
- News Centre
Radio Operator-UNDSS (Only Bangladeshi Nationals are Eligible to Apply)
|Location :||Dhaka and Field-based duty stations, BANGLADESH|
|Application Deadline :||15-Feb-14|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-1|
|Languages Required :||English|
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 Year|
|The overall mandate of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) is to provide leadership, operational support and oversight of the security management system to enable the safest and most efficient conduct of the programmes and activities of the United Nations System in Bangladesh.
UNDSS Bangladesh is supporting the UN Agencies through security advice and guidance so to enable the UN agencies to conduct their operations in the safest way possible. UNDSS has it’s headquarter in New York and have operations in more than one hundred countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Summary of Key Functions:
Under the overall guidance of the UNDSS Security Advisor (SA) and the direct supervision of the Radio Room Supervisor, the key functions of the incumbent are:
• Operate radio telecommunication equipment (HF/VHF), Fax, SAT Phone, and internet facilities.
• Maintain records pertaining to said communication and reroute to the relevant staff and agency where applicable.
• Transmits/receives clear and confidential messages through various communication (radio, fax, SAT phone and email) equipments.
• Processes and maintains up to date records and logs of all incoming/outgoing traffic, facilitating distribution through hard/soft copies.
• Monitor and determine locations of a frequency of contact with UN staff in and outside the UN area of operations and initiate appropriate follow-up in case of exceeded contact times.
• Process Security Clearance through the TRIP system for staff members.
• Update statistics of local security clearance requests and communicate with the security focal points and UN staff members as and when required.
• Assist in updating database for UN staff members.
• Record and edit messages on electronic formats.
• Implement e-mail and “dial up” system and ensure established administrative procedures are followed in maintaining proper filing system for all messages received and transmitted.
• Maintain appropriate logs for incoming and outgoing communications/messages and ensure that the appropriate forms are completed together.
• Assist in the provision of 24/7 communications coverage by working on shift system including night shift.
• Willing to work at any field-based duty station across the county.
• Perform all other related duties assigned by the Security Advisor and or administrative supervisor.
Management and Leadership
Required Skills and Experience
• The applicant is expected to have bachelor degree in telecommunication/ ICT/ communication related discipline or at least three years trade course/ technical education in Telecommunications from any recognized institution; specialized training in installation, maintenance and repair of communications equipment will be given preference.
• A minimum of 2 years prior experience in the relevant field is essential.
• Computer literate and proficiency in use of MS Word, Excel, Power Point and internet/e-mail is a must. Familiarity on Web application software and Graphics design software like Photoshop & Illustrator would be an added advantage.
• Background of radio amateur is preferable.
Excellent in writing and spoken English; other relevant languages will be considered as a plus.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.