CONSULTANT: GENDER MAINSTREAMING STRATEGY (UNDP-IRAQ)
|Application Deadline :||19-Nov-08|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||14 Days|
This assignment falls under the framework of the Project “Strengthening and Institutionalizing Gender Mainstreaming within UNDP IRAQ” which part of the UNDP in house exercise called the Gender Mainstreaming Initiative (GMI), funded by TRAC Resources.
The Project aims to accelerate the gender mainstreaming process which will be instrumental in ensuring that gender equality is fully and systematically integrated into all UNDP’s work.
The objective this assignment is to develop a gender strategy and action plan for UNDP Iraq Office to be based on an assessment of gender in house and in programming.
Main government counterpart: Ministry of Planning & International Cooperation, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Environment
Duties and Responsibilities
Develop the Gender Mainstreaming Strategy for the Country Office based on the gender assessment conducted by the CO, which includes the following components:
- In House Strategy including advocacy and capacity building.
- Programme Strategy: A strategy for mainstreaming gender within programmes and projects in the 4 porgramme Pillars, Governance, Poverty, Mine Action, and RCP, and recommendation to use a selection of tools and guidelines for gender mainstreaming in the formulation, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of the programme to the Iraq CO (if needed)
- A one year gender action plan for the office with clear, attainable, realistic targets
- Review background documentation of the gender assessment including the assessment report, Country Porgramme document, GRMU related documents and UNDP gender score card and any other additional documents as deemed necessary
- Conduct brainstorming sessions with the UNDP staff on the components of the gender strategy as needed, and the training needs as well as share gender-related good practices and success stories.
- Conduct meetings with main counterparts, and the UN Gender Task Force.
- Identify significant actors and stakeholders on gender and development in Iraq.
- Put forward critical issues for future planning, programming and monitoring of gender development initiatives.
- Discuss initial components of the strategy (Debriefing) with relevant staff members.
- Prepare the strategy including all the components and submit for approval by the Country Office and the gender policy advisor of the Sub-Regional Resource Facility for the Arab States.
- Finalize the Gender Mainstreaming Strategy
- Submit a mission report, including list of reviewed material; methodology, questions used, list and dates of interviews, and all necessary documentation related to the mission.
- Strategy should be in accordance with the guidelines and model GMS received from UNDP (the GTTF and the SURF-AS).
- Strategy to take into consideration limitations of capacity and resources, and sets gender mainstreaming priorities in line with the Country Office’s own priorities and capacities.
Reporting Requirements and Deliverables
Deliverables: The consultant must submit the following for approval
The Gender Mainstreaming Strategy draft and final document including all components and report on all mission activities included.
Mission timing: 4th week of February-March 2009
The following will be provided to the consultant by UNDP:
- Guidelines and model Gender Mainstreaming Strategy received from UNDP (the GTTF and the SURF-AS)
- Access to the GRMU (copies only)
- Draft Country Programme, Sector Outcome Strategies, UNCT Strategy, and any other related documents (can be provided before arrival)
- The Gender Assessment Report
|Display corporate commitment and direction: Work to promote UNDP’s vision, mission, values and strategic goals; |
Professional: Proven conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills and ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identifying issues, formulating options and making conclusions and recommendations;
Planning and organizing: Plan and prioritize work activities to meet organizational goals and organize and oversee work processes efficiently to achieve quality results;
Political, cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity: Communicates effectively with and relates to people of different cultures, demonstrating an ability to see issues from other perspectives and the ability to work harmoniously, respecting UNDP’s culture of diversity.
Required Skills and Experience
- The consultant should have at least 10 years experience in gender and development issues with solid experience in the Iraqi context.
- The consultant should have educational background and knowledge of gender issues and gender mainstreaming concepts as defined by UNDP.
- Previous experience in conducting gender Assessments and developing similar strategies is highly desirable
- Previous experience and familiarity with UNDP, UN agencies or other international donors is desirable
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.