|Application Deadline :||18-Mar-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-6|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 (one) year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||annual extension|
|Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Resident Representative, the direct supervision of the Senior Finance Associate and secondary supervision of the Operations Manager, the Finance Associate ensures effective execution of financial services and processes in CO and transparent utilization of financial resources. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The incumbent can supervise clerical and support staff of the Finance Unit. He/She works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and with UNDP HQs staff for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Summary of Key Functions:
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Administration of budgets
- Accounting and administrative support
- Global payroll (alternate)
- CO cash management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
2. Ensures assistance in administration of budgets focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Input to the CO business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs supervisors and other UNDP staff at Headquarters of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
3. Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit and performs Global payroll functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Act as Alternates for preparation and modifications of budgets for UNDP development and management projects
- Act as Alternate for review of proposals for project budget revisions. Assist programme officers in the preparation of budget revisions
4. Ensures proper CO cash management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX projects; preparation of all types of vouchers for management projects and on-behalf of UNOPS and non-Atlas Agencies; PO vouchers for management and development projects.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared and processed; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers and reversal of charges, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Management of cash receipts and petty cash and recording of deposits in Atlas (alternate to Senior Finance Associate).
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents.
- Act as Alternate for approval of vendors in Atlas and for Pay Cycle and payments execution.
- Global payrolls processing in Atlas (alternate to Senior Finance Associate).
5. Supports facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Alternate to Senior Finance Associate for timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Alternate to Senior Finance Associate for daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Act as Alternate for preparation of payment orders for all bank accounts.
- Preparation of monthly UN exchange rate report to Treasury (alternate to Senior Finance Associate).
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals in Atlas (alternate to Senior Finance Associate).
- Organization of trainings for the operations / projects staff on Finance.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
|Functional Competencies: |
Building Partnerships: Maintaining information and databases
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Promoting Organizational Learning And Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Promoting Organizational Change and Development: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks (specialized knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting).
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Design and Implementation of Management Systems: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Client Orientation: Maintains effective client relationships
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management: Gathering and disseminating information
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement. Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- 6 years of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required
- Fluency in Romanian and English.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova are eligible to apply.
Applications should be submitted on line and include fully completed Personal History Form (P11) as attachment instead of CV/resume.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.