INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT - REVIEW OF A MICRO-CREDIT MECHANISM
||Mitrovicë/Mitrovica, Kosovo, UN Administered Territory
|Date limite de candidature :||13-May-12|
|Catégorie supplémentaire||Réduction de la pauvreté|
|Type de contrat :||Individual Contract|
|Niveau du poste :||International Consultant|
|Langues requises :||
|Date de commencement :|
(date à laquelle le candidat sélectionné doit commencer)
|Durée du contrat initial||10 working days|
|Durée prévue de la mission :||10 working days|
The overall objective of the program is improved human security and stability in North, South Mitrovicë/a and Zvecan/Zveçan through multi-sectoral approach ensuring protection and empowerment of local stakeholders building appropriate institutions and enabling planning and delivering of services to fully meet the needs of different communities.
The Programme aims to improve the current situation through:
Capacity building of concerned local institutions for policy implementation, inclusive servicedelivery
- Capacity building of concerned local institutions for policy implementation, inclusive service
- Creating conditions for local economic development opportunities to reduce overall poverty level,
and ensure employment
- Improved inter-community relations through increased local ownership and empowerment
Within the scope of the ABD Programme, UNDP through partnership with NGO SPARK has established a microcredit facility mechanism in the areas of Mitrovicë/a South/North and Zvecan/Zveçan in order to support the overall economic development in the region. The microcredit mechanism has to facilitate in starting new enterprises or expanding existing ones through provision of small loans with easer repayment terms. The credit fund is implemented by NLB (Nova Ljubljanska Banka). Easier loan requirements and a declining interest rate of 5% are aimed at design the access to credit for start-up firms and existing businesses with a high growth potential.
By the end of March 2012, a total of 45 loans were disbursed. More than 15 % of supported beneficiaries are women.
Devoirs et responsabilités
Objectives of Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to assess the micro-credit facility, taking into account the political and the economic context (in the case of the latter aspects of particular interests are comparison with other microfinance opportunities and the feasibility of the model).
Scope of work
The duties under these terms of reference are to be accomplished during on a period of 10 working days in Kosovo, from 04 to 13 June, 2012.
The International consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Review the project documents and the micro-credit mechanism developed and applied by the programme
- Assess whether the project’s partnership approach has been appropriate and effective including the range and quality of partnerships and collaboration developed within the project.
- Assess issues affecting microcredit implementation and results achieved including the selection guidelines and monitoring arrangements.
- Analyse other existing micro-finance institutions/opportunities ( provided by banks or microfinance organizations) and the microcredit conditions Assess the legal framework for microfinance in Kosovo and any reports or papers that analyse the functioning of the micro-finance , results and issues.
- Review other micro-finance programmes supported by other donors.
- Identify the current state of microfinance in the market in the region and assess the potential demand for microfinance services.
- Interview different stakeholders (MFIs, NLB, SPARK and BACs)
- Classify potential risks arising from the banking sector that may have implications for the successful execution of a microcredit programme
- Evaluate the methodologies used in microcredit mechanism in terms of its strengths and weaknesses, recommending suitable modifications by identifying the lessons learned that can be drawn from the experience of the project, especially with respect to micro-enterprise development in a conflict and post-conflict context.
Make recommendations for UNDP to be used in the future in the geographical area covered by the ABD programme and in other areas. The recommendations have to answer the following questions:
- Are the existing microfinance institutions/opportunities ( without the ABD programme) sufficient to cover the needs of the private sector
- If there are any constraints for the private sector to use existing microfinance institutions (outside the ABD programme), what changes should be pursued?
- If the findings indicate that the micro-finance mechanism supported by UNDP is necessary and useful, what adjustments should be made for the future, taking into account the larger goal of contributing to development objectives, specifically focusing on poverty reduction and the potential role of microfinance as a supporting mechanism for crosscutting subjects
- Formulate recommendations for the completion of the current micro-finance programme and for the programme exit strategy.
Number of days
Desk review of relevant documents
Detailed briefings by UNDP/ABD staff
Draft on main conclusions
Preparation with relevant staff for field visits / logistics, sequences etc.
Definition of roles and responsibilities
Meeting with SPARK and business centers
Methodology: draft of the findings
Working discussion with the members of ABD programme
Draft review finalized
- The overall expected result of the evaluation is to examine the concept, design, implementation modality and relevance of microcredit project implemented in the region.
- The consultant will be required to assess the relevancy and effectiveness of created microcredit mechanism by analyzing the past experience and present situation in the region, looking particularly at the opportunities for building inclusive financial market.
Deliverables / Final Products Expected:
The selected consultant would be required to prepare a comprehensive report evaluating the relevancy, concept, design and effectiveness of created microcredit mechanism. The report will contain key findings, recommendations, lessons learnt and rating on the mechanism performance. The recommendations will include future direction and strategies that UNDP could take to support similar projects.
- Knowledge of the micro-finance in Kosovo or the Balkans; proven experience with designing, implementing or reviewing microfinance institutions in SEE.
- Substantive knowledge of relevant development issues.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills
- English is the working language for the assignment; proficiency in speaking, reading and writing is required.
Qualifications et expériences requises
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in finance, banking, development studies, or related field.
- Minimum of six years relevant work experience in microfinance sector within the region or international preferably associated to a Microfinance Institution.
- Familiarity with UNDP and UN system will be an asset.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- The payment will be made upon completion of the assignment.
Le PNUD s’engage à recruter un personnel divers en termes de genre, de nationalité et de culture. Nous encourageons de même les personnes issues des minorités ethniques, des communautés autochtones ou handicapées à postuler. Toutes les candidatures seront traitées dans la plus stricte confidentialité.