ANALYST (INTERGOVERNMENTAL & UN COHERENCE) - TWO POSITIONS
||New York, ETATS-UNIS D'AMERIQUE
|Date limite de candidature :||25-Jul-12|
|Type de contrat :||FTA International|
|Niveau du poste :||P-2|
|Langues requises :||
|Date de commencement :|
(date à laquelle le candidat sélectionné doit commencer)
|Durée du contrat initial||One Year|
|Durée prévue de la mission :||One Year (Renewable)|
The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) leads and supports the UNDP in cultivating, building and nurturing strategic relationships and alliances that are essential for advancing and successfully achieving the mission of UNDP, that includes partnership development, resource mobilization, communications and governance.
To carry out its responsibilities BERA has a Directorate (DIR) and four clusters as follows: Communications (CC); Innovation and Development Alliances (IDAC), Resource Partnerships Cluster (RPC) and Multilateral Affairs and UN Coherence Cluster (MAUCC). The MDG-F Secretariat is also housed in BERA. In addition, BERA has Representation Offices in 5 major donor capitals and in collaboration with Regional Bureaus, manages 2 UNDP Centres in Istanbul and Seoul.
Within the MAUC Cluster is the Inter-governmental & UN Coherence Team, responsible for communicating, advocating for, and promoting the strategic interests of UNDP in key inter-governmental and inter-agency forums such as the General Assembly (GA), the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), the Chief Executives Board (CEB), and its subsidiary bodies: the High Level Committee on Programmes (HLCP) and the United Nations Development Group (UNDG) and its subsidiary machinery. This team staffs the Administrator and the Associate Administrator in the United Nations Development Group and in the CEB. It is also responsible for official communications and developing partnerships with agencies of the UN system as well as Member States of the UN. The team keeps UNDP management apprised of key developments in inter-agency and inter-governmental bodies and ensures that delegations to inter-governmental bodies are properly briefed on UNDP matters as they negotiate legislation of strategic interest to UNDP.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Team Manager, Intergovernmental and UN Coherence, the Analyst (Intergovernmental & UN Coherence) will provide analysis and inputs for briefings and other documents for UNDP management to be informed on political developments and concerns on issues that may impact the overall development agenda.
Devoirs et responsabilités
Summary of key functions:
- Support to strategy formulation and implementation to enhance client relationships.
- Preparation of analysis summaries and reports.
- Support to the enhancement of External Relations and Advocacy with other UN Entities and Intergovernmental partners.
- Facilitation of Knowledge building and management.
1. Support to strategy formulation and implementation to enhance client relationships:
- Support the Team Manager, Intergovernmental & UN Coherence in strengthening relationships with delegates and CSOs, as part of an information and communications strategy so that UNDP is well informed of developments and corporate priorities are appropriately reflected in intergovernmental legislation;
- Provide support to the development of corporate strategies to inform UNDP’s engagement in these processes; and
- Provide inputs to the Division strategy to strengthen and expand relationships with key actors engaged in the intergovernmental fora.
2. Preparation of Analysis Summaries and Reports:
- Provide timely and high-quality briefing notes, talking points, analysis, and speech inputs for the UNDP Administrator, Associate Administrator, BERA Director, BERA Deputy Director and UNIA team Director on relevant issues. This includes coordination and synthesis of different UNDP Bureaux inputs; drafting of succinct summaries of the background issues; informed political analysis of the intergovernmental and interagency issues at hand; and identification of potential challenges and opportunities for UNDP;
- Provide inputs into additional papers, talking points, reports and briefs, as required; and
- Review and provide comments, as required, on UNDP and interagency UN draft documents.
3. Support to the enhancement of External Relations and Advocacy with other UN Entities and Intergovernmental partners.
- Support the Team Manager, Intergovernmental and UN Coherence in the preparation for UNDP’s participation in intergovernmental conferences;
- Prepare analytical summaries of relevant formal meetings and informal consultations of the General Assembly and working groups, ECOSOC and its functional commissions;
- Provide efficient secretariat support to relevant cross-bureau task teams;
- Liaise with other Bureaux on relevant issues (UN coordination, LDCs, QCPR and Rio+20 follow up; South South cooperation); represent as necessary DUNA and BERA at UNDP meetings; and ensure UNDP is appropriately represented in relevant intergovernmental fora;
- Liaise, as necessary, with representatives from other UN agencies on issues of operational activities for development;
- Liaise, as necessary, with Member State delegations on issues of operational activities for development and relevant UN intergovernmental deliberations; and
- Support, as necessary, other divisions within the MAUC cluster.
4. Facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to coordination. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to Intergovernmental & UN Coherence Affairs;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice; and
- Organization of trainings to UN/UNDP staff on coordination issues.
Impact of Results:
These functions will strengthen the Team’s staff capacity to meet the increasing demands for timely and politically informed analysis on the latest developments in the intergovernmental fora; will keep BERA Management and UNDP Senior Management (Administrator and Associate Administrator) informed on the key developments in this area. These functions have a direct impact on the key role UNDP is expected to play during some key conferences including LDCs, aid effectiveness and Rio+20.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of political developments; sound understanding of the UN system, including intergovernmental bodies and the UN Development Group (UNDG) and the Department of Economic and Social Affairs;
- Communication: Excellent and effective communication skills. Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner under tight time pressure and to communicate effectively orally. Ability to prepare reports and articulate options, concisely conveying maximum necessary information. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; and
- Client orientation: Establishes and maintain productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; monitors on-going developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
Qualifications et expériences requises
- Advanced university degree in international relations, political science or other related field.
- Minimum 2 years of experience, preferably in functions requiring drafting briefing notes and analysis and working in an international organization/setting;
- Working knowledge of the NGO’s engaged in the international development field and experience liaising with delegations in inter-governmental processes is desirable;
- Familiarity with the intergovernmental and interagency process at the United Nations relating to operational activities for development, including UN reform/coherence, development effectiveness, sustainable development, and South South cooperation.
- Excellent command of, and drafting skills in English essential; fluency in another UN languages desirable.
Cliquez ici pour prendre connaissance d'informations importantes concernant les résidents permanents des Etats-Unis (détenteurs de la "carte verte").
Le PNUD s’engage à recruter un personnel divers en termes de genre, de nationalité et de culture. Nous encourageons de même les personnes issues des minorités ethniques, des communautés autochtones ou handicapées à postuler. Toutes les candidatures seront traitées dans la plus stricte confidentialité.