INTERNATIONAL SENIOR HUMAN RIGHTS ADVISER
|Date limite de candidature :||13-Aug-12|
|Type de contrat :||FTA International|
|Niveau du poste :||P-5|
|Langues requises :||
Anglais Espagnol |
|Date de commencement :|
(date à laquelle le candidat sélectionné doit commencer)
|Durée du contrat initial||01/11/2012|
|Durée prévue de la mission :||2 Years|
The Constitution of Honduras contains several provisions for the guarantee of human rights, encompassing political rights but also establishing the legal framework for family protection, rights of the children, rights of the workers, social security, health, education, culture and housing, in accordance with the Universal Declaration on Human Rights and the International Human Rights Instruments ratified by Honduras. Still, despite some advances, there are gaps in the enjoyment of some human rights, closely related to the high levels of poverty and the security situation in the country. Honduras is a country characterized by inequality and exclusion originated in a long historical process, and expressed in all spheres of the national life. Additionally, great efforts are still needed to fight impunity, improve access to justice, eliminate discrimination and dedicate special attention to the excluded groups or in situation of vulnerability (women, children, aging people, indigenous and afro descendents people, and people with disabilities), reduce the level of violence and citizen’s insecurity. Therefore, the need for a highly experienced technical advisor is essential to assist the Government, NGO, the United Nations System and international cooperation partners about human rights matters, particularly in the area of: a) strengthening the justice system (including the penitentiary system); b) improving citizen security; c) strengthening national authorities, in particular the office of the Human Rights Commissioner, and d) providing advice to the Resident Coordinator (RC) and the UN Country Team (UNCT).
Devoirs et responsabilités
- Advice OHCHR, the RC and the UNCT on strategies and activities to address human rights issues in Honduras, including in developing programmes to build and strengthen national capacities and institutions for the promotion and protection of human rights, based on assessment of national context, capacities and priorities;
- Carry out comprehensive analyses and needs assessments relating to the human rights situation in the country, providing advice to OHCHR, the RC and the UNCT on possible future, medium-term and long-term steps to address the human rights situation in the country;
- Strengthen the capacity and the role of the Resident Coordinator and the UNCT to tackle human rights issues and ensure their inclusion in the forthcoming UNDAF and agencies´ annual programmes and projects;
- Chair the Inter-agency working group on human rights, as required;
- Support the RC and the UNCT in promoting human rights as a common UN value and upholding international norms and standards through advocacy and awareness-raising;
- Advise and assist State actors, including the Government, representative bodies and the national human rights institution on how best to promote and protect human rights; enhance legal frameworks and judicial capacity and develop national capacities for human rights protection, including the State’s ability to meet international reporting obligations;
- Liaise with and provide support to relevant national stakeholders, including civil society organizations and NGOs engaged in the promotion and protection of human rights;
- Advise and assist the international community in Honduras on how best to promote and protect human rights;
- Liaise with regional human rights organizations;
- In close collaboration with relevant units in OHCHR Headquarters, identify and contribute to the development and implementation of best practices, including those relating to promotion of a rights-based approach to planning and programming, coordination mechanisms, and inter-agency cooperation;
- Develop, widen and enhance OHCHR’s and the UN Country Team’s network of partners and contacts in the country and identify potential areas of cooperation for OHCHR and the UN agencies;
- Promote the ratification and implementation of international human rights instruments;
- Provide advice and facilitate the provision of assistance as requested by the Government;
- Manage and support the design, monitoring and implementation of technical cooperation programmes, as requested;
- Provide operational support to human rights training and/or national capacity activities;
- Support the RC, the UNCT and relevant national stakeholders in their engagement with international human rights mechanisms such as the Universal Periodic Review (UPR), Treaty Bodies and Special Procedures of the Human Rights Council, as well as those under relevant international instruments of specialized agencies including follow-up and implementation of their recommendations; ;
- Manage the human and financial resources assigned;
- Prepare regular reports and planning tools as required by OHCHR or the UN Resident Coordinator;
- As required, undertake representational responsibilities on behalf of OHCHR and the Resident Coordinator and undertake assignments or missions within Honduras;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Professionalism: Comprehensive knowledge of and exposure to a range of human rights issues, including approaches and techniques to address sensitive and complex issues; very good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines related to human rights, operational activities for development, peace and security and humanitarian affairs; Comprehensive knowledge and experience in the region, including its human rights and political situation, as well as its culture, history and traditions; demonstrated ability to complete in-depth analysis and reach conclusions on possible causes and solutions to human rights issues; demonstrated research and analytical skills, including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of relevant human rights issues/problems; sound knowledge of institutional mandates, policies, guidelines, etc., related to human rights;; good knowledge of and experience in development programming and technical cooperation projects.
- Planning and Organizing - Excellent communication (spoken and written skills), ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
- Communication - Ability to speak and write in a clear, knowledgeable and concise manner, including ability to make training presentations and prepare a variety of reports and correspondence.
- Teamwork - Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UNS, especially in the area of Human Rights
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Promotes knowledge management in the UNS and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of the UNS
Management and Leadership
- Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects
- Ability to apply development theory to the specific country context to identify creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to work under pressure
- Proven net working, team-building, organizational and communication skills
Qualifications et expériences requises
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in human rights, public or international law, political science, international relations, social sciences or related field.
- A combination of relevant academic qualifications and extensive experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 10 years of international experience in human rights, including in the field. In-depth knowledge of and experience, including in the region of assignment, with the workings of the UN system, in particular as regards its political, development and humanitarian functions. Proven managerial skills and experience in successfully leading a team of professionals.
- Prior field experience in an OHCHR office or human rights component in a UN operation an asset.
- An extensive knowledge of human rights based approach.
- Additional qualifications and experience targeted to the specificities of the country and the responsibilities to be undertaken.
- Advocacy, communication and networking skills.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity.
- Management of computer office packages.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Spanish.
Cliquez ici pour prendre connaissance d'informations importantes concernant les résidents permanents des Etats-Unis (détenteurs de la "carte verte").
Le PNUD s’engage à recruter un personnel divers en termes de genre, de nationalité et de culture. Nous encourageons de même les personnes issues des minorités ethniques, des communautés autochtones ou handicapées à postuler. Toutes les candidatures seront traitées dans la plus stricte confidentialité.