GEF/LDCF CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION SPECIALIST
||Home Based with Missions to Comoros
|Date limite de candidature :||31-Aug-12|
|Type de contrat :||Individual Contract|
|Niveau du poste :||International Consultant|
|Langues requises :||
Anglais Français |
|Date de commencement :|
(date à laquelle le candidat sélectionné doit commencer)
|Durée du contrat initial||8 Weeks spread over the period 10 September 2012 to 31st July 2013|
|Durée prévue de la mission :||8 Weeks spread over the period 10 September 2012 to 31st July 2013|
The Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF) was established under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) at its seventh session in Marrakech and is managed by the Global Environment Facility (GEF). The fund addresses the special needs of the 49 Least Developed Countries (LDCs) which are especially vulnerable to the adverse impacts of climate change. As a priority, the LDCF supports the preparation and the implementation of the National Adaptation Programs of Action (NAPAs), country driven strategies which identify urgent and immediate needs of LDCs to adapt to climate change. The Union of Comoros as a LDC Party to the UNFCCC has completed its NAPA and is eligible for project funding under the LDCF. Submission to the GEF under the LDCF starts with a submission by the GEF implementing agency chosen by the LDC of a Project Identification Form (PIF), including a project preparation grant (PPG), if desired. After the PIF has been approved by the LDCF/SCCF Council, the GEF agency then works with the LDC to develop the project fully into a detailed Full Project Document (FPD) and a Request for GEF CEO Endorsement.
In the framework of the implementation of its NAPA, the Union of the Comoros has sought UNDP support to develop and submit to the LDCF a project proposal titled: “Strengthening the capacities of vulnerable communities to cope with the additional risks posed by climate change and variability on Comorian agro-sylvo-pastoral systems”. For this purpose, the expected output of the project are: (i) Adaptive capacities of institutions mandated to manage the agricultural sector are strengthened to enable them to plan for and respond to climate risks for agriculture; (ii) Agro-meteorological and decision support information are packaged into agricultural advisories and disseminated by agricultural extension officers to key stakeholders to promote agricultural resilience to climate change and; (iii) Climate resilient strategies are tested and transferred to strengthen the climate resilience of agro-sylvo-pastoral systems.
The PIF of this project has been approved by the GEF council on the 14 June 2012. With the aim of developing and submitting to the GEF the detailed Full Project Document (FPD) and the Request for GEF CEO Endorsement, the UNDP Country Office (CO) in Comoros is seeking the services of an international consultant specialist in GEF/LDCF Climate Change Adaptation to lead the team of international and national consultants.
Devoirs et responsabilités
The international GEF/LDCF climate change Adaptation Specialist will lead the team of international and national consultants. He/She will work closely with the government specialists and other key stakeholders at the country level. He/She will be responsible for developing the UNDP Prodoc and the FSP request for GEF CEO endorsement by using the appropriate templates. Task that the regional/international consultant is responsible for may include, but not limited to:
- Lead the consultants’ team and help scope PPG activities and work plan;
- Control quality of inputs and outputs of all consultants and subcontractors;
- Validate project’s problem and barrier analysis;
- Help determine the project’s system boundaries and scope;
- Conduct stakeholders analysis and develop stakeholders participation plan, including community mobilization strategy;
- Define the logical framework, work plan and budget for the project;
- Clarify the additionality of proposed outcomes and activities
- Investigate potential options for the project’s institutional and implementation arrangements;
- Design Knowledge Management and M&E component (including learning mechanisms and impacts indicators);
- Develop the project’s replication and exit strategy (sustainability);
- Help build partnerships and mobilize resources;
- Develop the project’s sustainability strategy;
- Demonstrate cost-effectiveness of the project’s interventions;
- Propose co-funding and financing plans;
- Stimulate partnerships and help mobilize resources; and
- Develop the FSP Request for CEO Endorsement and UNDP Prodoc.
- Excellent team player with good interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage workload with minimum supervision
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Ability to accommodate additional demands at short notice
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in French in order to communicate complex technical information to technical and general audiences
- Strong strategic planning, results-based management and reporting capabilities
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Qualifications et expériences requises
- Master's degree (or preferably PhD) in climate science, environmental studies, economics, development or closely related fields. Technical knowledge of the implications of climate change on coastal zones, on development, finance, environment, and other relevant fields is critical.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive and relevant experience in the field of climate change adaptation or relevant fields
- Demonstrated solid knowledge of climate change adaptation and coastal zone development
- Extensive experience with GEF project development, implementation or management
- Experience in policy development process associated with environment, climate change and sustainable development an asset
- Experience in coastal adaptation is an asset
- Experience in disaster risk reduction is an asset
- Experience in working and collaborating with governments an asset
- Experience in training an asset
- Experience working within the UN system an asset
- Extensive working experience in Comoros is an asset.
Le PNUD s’engage à recruter un personnel divers en termes de genre, de nationalité et de culture. Nous encourageons de même les personnes issues des minorités ethniques, des communautés autochtones ou handicapées à postuler. Toutes les candidatures seront traitées dans la plus stricte confidentialité.