CAPACITY BUILDING SPECIALIST (RE-ADVERTISEMENT) - STRENGTHENING ELECTION MANAGEMENT IN BANGLADESH PROJECT
|Fecha límite de postulación||02-May-12|
|Tipo de contrato||FTA International|
|Nivel de puesto||P-4|
|Fecha de comienzo del contrato|
(Fecha en que se espera que comience el candidato seleccionado)
|Duración del contrato inicial||Initially One Year|
The United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) Bangladesh Country Office has had long standing cooperation with the Bangladesh Election Commission (BEC). Following four successful long term projects in support of the electoral process a new programme of work is commencing under the project, Strengthening Election Management in Bangladesh (SEMB), which is a five year programme to assist the BEC to build capacity in its human and institutional resources. The project aims to support the BEC to further consolidate achievements that led to successful parliamentary elections in 2008. At the present time an ambitious expansion and decentralisation process is also taking place at the BEC and the programme has been designed to support and complement these expansion efforts during this exciting period of expansion of the BEC. The following outcomes are envisaged for the programme:
- Professionalised and strengthened training by the BEC;
- Strengthened BEC capacity to efficiently manage decentralisation and institutional growth;
- Reformed communications department and outreach to stakeholders;
- Professionalised and strengthened ICT wing of the BEC;
- Enhanced capacities to prepare and disseminate a credible and accurate photo voter register;
- Support to activities in the run up to the parliamentary elections in 2014.
The programme components that deal with training and institutional growth require a full time professional for the duration of the programme to provide mentoring and guidance on the growth of the training department, and BEC strategic and organisational development.
Deberes y responsabilidades
Summary of key functions:
Under the overall supervision of Deputy Country Director (Programme) and in consultation with the National Project Director and National Project Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for:
- Overall supervision and responsibility for the timely implementation/completion of project activities related to the reform of the training department and BEC organisational development. This will include the provision of leadership, mentoring, backstopping and financial, administrative, planning and logistical support for the project;
- Provide information and mentor the BEC in development of the training department, training activities, strategic planning, institutional development, and organisational innovation;
- Provide expert advice and guidance to the BEC on all training related matters; provide information and mentor BEC on best practices in election management;
- Responsible for achievement of relevant outcome and output indictors defined in project document;
- Report on achievement of quarterly and annual targets.
Mentoring for development of the BEC training department:
- Provide advice, orientation and mentoring to training department staff (new staff envisaged) for immediate support with training department assessment, growth, establishment of an initial system of evaluation and monitoring;
- Lead and guide the design and implementation of training and capacity building programmes including customized BRIDGE modules;
- Mentor training department counterparts in undertaking a consultation exercise with internal and external stakeholders, including through regional workshops. Provide guidance on the process for establishment of a written vision statement, working procedures and work plans for the training department;
- Mentor counterparts in the development of a system of evaluation of trainings and monitoring of training conducted in the field;
- Provide on-going guidance on establishment of a system for reviewing training conducted during previous years and consequent development of procedures and plans;
- Provide guidance on establishment of a system of reviewing departmental costs and budget planning. This should include provision for BEC production of high quality materials for future activities;
- Mentor on planning and implementing a comprehensive post-election assessment of training undertaken for the national elections. Guidance to counterparts in undertaking a comprehensive review of all activities, a new consultation process and formation of a new vision statement and working procedures.
Liaison and cooperation for training implementation:
- Liaise with and guide project consultants working with the training department. This includes consultants working on training planning, materials development and implementation of training for the local elections and voter registration;
- Liaise with and guide project experts working with the training department, in particular the International Expert (National Elections Training) with planning, material development and implementation of training for the national elections scheduled for 2014;
- Provide direct guidance as required to training department staff on training for voter registration, local elections, by-elections and national elections;
- Guide international consultants working on training of trainers (ToT) and provide on-going mentoring and support for comprehensive ToT in the training department and roll out ToT at field level;
- Lead and advise on the implementation of BRIDGE courses at the BEC at central and field levels, to include the accreditation of BEC staff as BRIDGE facilitators;
- Provide guidance to BEC staff and consultants in the development of electronic learning courses by the BEC.
- Mentor BEC training department staff on orientation training to external stakeholders and development of orientation programme and material;
- Lead on and guide the preparation of orientation programme for new staff, Commissioners, with recommendations on external speakers etc.
Training department procurement support:
- Lead and guide the team in building needs specification for the new training department premises;
- Work with the training department in planning and reviewing use of materials provided by the project. This includes some fit out costs, equipment, training kits etc. Look at maintenance and re-supply issues.
BEC strategic planning and organisational innovation:
- Provide guidance and mentoring on implementation, monitoring and review of the newly drafted five year strategic plan and two year action plan;
- Following local and national elections, lead in and guide the BEC in conducting lessons learned, and consequent review of the organisation’s strategic plan (based on stakeholder consultation);
- Liaise with and advise the BEC and international consultants working in election research and topic experts in their work with the planning, development and research branch for the development of research and analysis of election issues and BEC options.
- Lead and guide the BEC’s Administration Wing, the project’s Management Expert and project consultants in modernisation of the BEC’s internal administration for more efficient election management. This includes mentoring in development of a BEC staffing skills audit and an effective staff evaluation system.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the project or UNDP.
- Promotes UN's Values and ethical standards (tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation, impartiality);
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling in the UN's values and ethical standards (human rights, peace, understanding between people and nations, tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation, UNDP core ethics, impartiality;
- Demonstrates understanding, maturity and is sensitive to working in an environment with uniformed hierarchy;
- Demonstrates competencies in service delivery.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example, excellent ability to demonstrate national capacities building (mastery of the tools and their application);
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Excellent communication skills in English language (written and oral);
- Displays understanding of the relevant contemporary ICT tools and continuously act towards personal capacity building;
- Sensitivity and responsiveness to all partners.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to engage with high ranking officials and international donor community and provide advisory support services;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis reporting and cost recovery: excellent project oversight functions, including audit, accurate and through risk assessment;
- Ability to undertake result based management and reporting; and
- Ability to oversee timely project implementation and to provide the necessary troubleshooting to keep project implementation on schedule.
Management and Leadership
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationship with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback, timely responses to queries;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrates strong administrative skills and result oriented approach to work.
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
- Masters degree preferably in the field of Management, Political Science, International Relations or other related fields.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience including training in the field of elections;
- Knowledge and experience of organisational development issues in election management;
- Proven organisational skills, with ability to work on multiple activities, to plan effectively and to communicate plans clearly;
- Knowledge and understanding of international standards for elections and good practice;
- Experience of providing guidance and support to counterparts;
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-culturally;
- Good knowledge of the electoral environment in Bangladesh considered an asset;
- BRIDGE accreditation considered an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Pulse aquí para consultar información importante para los residentes permanentes de los EE.UU. (tarjeta verde)
El PNUD está comprometido con lograr la diversidad de su personal en términos de género, nacionalidad y cultura. Se alienta por igual a las personas que pertenecen a grupos minoritarios, a pueblos indígenas o que tienen alguna discapacidad a presentar su candidatura. Todas las solicitudes se tratarán con la mayor confidencialidad.