COPY EDITOR FOR YOUTHSTART KNOWLEDGE PRODUCTS
|Fecha límite de postulación||23-May-12|
|Tipo de contrato||Individual Contract|
|Nivel de puesto||International Consultant|
|Fecha de comienzo del contrato|
(Fecha en que se espera que comience el candidato seleccionado)
|Duración del contrato inicial||Up to 30 days|
UN Capital Development Fund is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s 48 least developed countries. It creates new opportunities for poor people and their communities by increasing access to microfinance and investment capital. UNCDF focuses on Africa and the poorest countries of Asia, with a special commitment to countries emerging from conflict or crisis. It provides seed capital – grants and loans – and technical support to help microfinance institutions reach more poor households and small businesses, and local governments finance the capital investments – water systems, feeder roads, schools, irrigation schemes – that will improve poor peoples’ lives. UNCDF programmes help to empower women, and are designed to catalyze larger capital flows from the private sector, national governments and development partners, for maximum impact toward the Millennium Development Goals.
YouthStart, a UNCDF programme funded by The MasterCard Foundation aims to reach 200,000 youth in Sub-Saharan Africa with demand-driven financial services and non-financial services, in particular savings and financial education, by 2014. To date, US$7.2 million have been awarded to 10 Financial Service Providers, of which US$1.3 have been disbursed, to design, deliver and scale up demand-driven youth financial services and youth-centric programmes in partnership with Youth Serving Organizations.
YouthStart aims to achieve the following three objectives:
- To expand low income youth access to financial and non financial services by supporting financial service providers (FSPs) and their partner Youth Serving Organizations (YSOs) to conduct youth inclusive market research, develop and deliver comprehensive services to youth;
- To build institutional capacity of FSPs, youth service organizations (YSOs), policy makers, donors and other stakeholders (including UNCDF’s internal capacity) to provide comprehensive youth services; and. To expand access to and mobilize knowledge related to youth financial services, by acting as a convener and facilitator among stakeholders (e.g., governments, national and regional microfinance associations, banking experts, regulators).
Deberes y responsabilidades
To achieve the objectives depicted above, UNCDF seeks a copy editor with experience in microfinance on a retainer basis
- Edit the first draft of knowledge products, to ensure clarity, consistency and readability of the text for the intended audience.
- Under the guidance of the Technical Writer, assemble all sections suggestions, re-writing as necessary, adding/editing boxes of interest, tables and charts bringing the manuscript to full completion including all necessary components (table of contents, foreword, preface, introduction, bibliography, tables, annexes, boxes, etc.)
- Point out factual inconsistencies in arguments, political nuances, faulty logic, and awkward or unclear passages and suggest solutions
- Ensure all references are in order, requesting source information for tables and figures when such information is missing
- Ensure incorporation of feedback from internal and external peer reviewers into the draft manuscript
- Work closely with the Technical Writer and the graphic designer to develop ideas for graphics and charts that creatively convey key messages/data in the manuscript
- Proof-read the final texts as laid out by the designer to ensure both text and associated graphics are error free and ready for printing
Deliverables for each knowledge product:
- Copy edit 1st draft of knowledge products for peer review
- Copy edit 2nd draft of knowledge product that incorporates changes of technical writer after peer review
- Revisions to graphic designer version
- Proof-read the final text as laid out by the designer .
- Strong analytical and writing skills and track record in copy editing relevant reports and other materials
- Demonstrated strong technical and practical knowledge in issues relating to microfinance in particular Sub-Saharan Africa
- Conceptualizes and analyses problems to identify key issues, underlying problems and how they relate
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills and experience in working effectively in a multi cultural environment
- Sensitivity to diverse opinions and difficulties arising from differing social and cultural perceptions
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
- Masters degree in international affairs, literature, economics, finance, business or public administration or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a technical writer or copy editor in microfinance, inclusive finance, or development research.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Fluency in French is a plus.
Assessment of candidates will be based on the following criteria:
- Academic qualifications, years of relevant experience for the assignment and, language skills (20%)
- Technical competency in the subject of Microfinance (10%)
- Competencies as a copy editor or technical writer (40%)
- Cost of the services (30%)
Payment modalities for each knowledge product:
- Prior to the development of each knowledge product, the consultant needs to submit for approval to the YouthStart Programme Manager a quote with an estimation of the days it will take him/her to complete the 4 deliverables of the knowledge product.
- Payments will be done at the completion of each knowledge product. For each payment, the consultant needs to:
i) Submit an invoice for the completion of the 4 deliverables of the knowledge product to UNCDF
ii) Submit and get approval from UNCDF of all 4 deliverables of the knowledge product subject to payment
El PNUD está comprometido con lograr la diversidad de su personal en términos de género, nacionalidad y cultura. Se alienta por igual a las personas que pertenecen a grupos minoritarios, a pueblos indígenas o que tienen alguna discapacidad a presentar su candidatura. Todas las solicitudes se tratarán con la mayor confidencialidad.