NATIONAL ECONOMIST - UGANDAN NATIONALS ONLY (RE-ADVERTISED)
|Fecha límite de postulación||12-Jun-12|
|Tipo de contrato||FTA Local|
|Nivel de puesto||NO-C|
|Fecha de comienzo del contrato|
(Fecha en que se espera que comience el candidato seleccionado)
|Duración del contrato inicial||1 Year|
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Senior Economist, the National Economist advises Senior Management on economic development policies and trends, as well as on relevant linkages between these and UNDP’s country programme in Uganda.
In addition, the National Economist works with national counterparts, including the government of Uganda, to identify evidence-based policy options that promote inclusive growth, sustainable human development and the attainment of the MDGs, thus enhancing the policy impact of UNDP’s country programme. The national economist also advocates for the core principles underlying UNDP’s corporate mandate, and represents the organization in relevant policy and development forums.
Deberes y responsabilidades
Summary of Key Functions:
- Advice and support to UNDP’s management team and country programme in Uganda on economic and development issues.
- Advice to Government counterparts and facilitation of knowledge building on economic and development issues.
- Creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization.
- Advocacy and promotion of UNDP’s mandate and mission.
Provides advice and support to UNDP management, programmes and projects focusing on achieving the following results:
- Compilation, analysis and interpretation of economic and statistical data; thorough research of economic and development issues in the country; and preparation of high quality analysis and reports.
- Provision of high quality analysis and substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other strategic documents of the UN.
- Support to the implementation of UNDP’s country programme in Uganda, providing advice on how to ensure alignment of UNDP’s country programme with national policies and priorities, and contributing to the management of UNDP’s programme in the area of strategic policy and economics.
- Contribution to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to economic and development issues.
- Representation of UNDP in relevant working groups and taskforces.
Provides policy advice and options to national counterparts, including government, and facilitates knowledge building and management focusing on achieving the following results:
- Assessment of the country’s economic development policies and their impact on poverty reduction, growth, environmental sustainability, equity and human development.
- Provision of policy options that promote broad-based socioeconomic development; based on a sound, evidence-based understanding of these issues.
- Contribution to knowledge networks and communities of practice through the identification of best practices and lessons learned.
- Training and capacity building support for UNDP staff and Government officials, public institutions on economic issues.
Promotes the establishment of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with other UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society, academia and research institutions based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donor practices and performance, including the preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation.
- Production of periodic updates and briefs on country development situation to be used by stakeholders, CO and HQ.
- Undertaking of selected studies/research on emerging development concerns that feed into government/development partners processes.
- Representation of UNDP in relevant working groups and taskforces.
Advocacy and promotion of awareness of UNDP’s mandate and mission, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Public and policy advocacy for the Millennium Development Goals, pro-poor and equitable economic growth, as well as sustainable human development, through the active participation in relevant forums, conferences and trainings.
- Support to the monitoring progress of the Millennium Development Goals in Uganda, and the formulation of strategies that contribute to the achievement of these goals.
- Management of events and publications on economic issues.
Impact of Results:
The key results for this post, as outlined in the previous section, will strengthen UNDP’s contributions to national policy dialogue and enhance the policy impact of UNDP’s programmes and projects in Uganda. In particular, these key results will have an impact on the design of programmes, and the creation of strategic partnerships, whilst also contributing to the achievement of resource mobilization targets. The post will also increase the visibility of UNDP in current policy debates on economic development.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on economic issues.
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Capacity to adapt policies, approaches and models to meet emerging needs.
- Ability to lead formulation and evaluation of development programmes and projects.
- Ability to apply economic theory to the specific country context, carry out high-quality economic research.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback.
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation.
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
- Master’s Degree in Economics. A PhD in economics or related fields would be an asset.
- Five (5) years of relevant work experience at the national or international level.
- Extensive experience in research and policy-related analysis.
- Demonstrated experience of working in development and aid environments with government agencies, national researchers and development partners.
- Experience in the design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Publications and active participation in international conferences on development issues would be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, including advanced software programmes for statistical analysis of data.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Excellent written and presentation skills.
- Knowledge UN and national language of the duty station is an asset.
El PNUD está comprometido con lograr la diversidad de su personal en términos de género, nacionalidad y cultura. Se alienta por igual a las personas que pertenecen a grupos minoritarios, a pueblos indígenas o que tienen alguna discapacidad a presentar su candidatura. Todas las solicitudes se tratarán con la mayor confidencialidad.