COMMUNICATION SPECIALIST UNDP/ELECT II PROJECT
|Fecha límite de postulación||28-Jun-12|
|Tipo de contrato||FTA International|
|Nivel de puesto||P-3|
|Duración del contrato inicial||One Year (with possibility of extension)|
UNDP supports stabilization, state building, governance and development priorities in Afghanistan. UNDP support, in partnership with the Government, the United Nations system, the donor community and other development stakeholders, has contributed to institutional development efforts leading to positive impact on the lives of Afghan citizens. Over the years UNDP support has spanned such milestone efforts as the adoption of the Constitution; Presidential, Parliamentary and Provincial Council elections; institutional development through capacity-building to the legislative, the judicial and executive arms of the state, and key ministries, Government agencies and commissions at the national and subnational levels. UNDP has played a key role in the management of the Law and Order Trust Fund, which supports the Government in developing and maintaining the national police force and in efforts to stabilize the internal security environment. Major demobilization, disarmament and rehabilitation and area-based livelihoods and reconstruction programmes have taken place nationwide. UNDP Programmes in Afghanistan have benefited from the very active support of donors. UNDP Afghanistan is committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability and works in close coordination with the United Nations Mission in Afghanistan and the UN system as a whole to maximize the impact of its development efforts on the ground.
Years of conflict have damaged Afghanistan’s economic, political, physical, social and institutional structures. Reconstruction demands a secure environment in which there is credible leadership and enforced rule of law. Strong, legitimate and effective public administration structures, responsive to the needs of ordinary citizens - including the poor – are a precursor to any sustainable development. To this end, UNDP supports Afghan electoral institutions so that they can become more effective vehicles for development.
The UNDP Enhancing Legal and Electoral Capacity for Tomorrow (ELECT) project phase I (2006 – 2011) lent technical and operational assistance to Afghan electoral bodies throughout the 2009 Presidential and provincial council elections and 2010 parliamentary elections. This included the establishment of Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) offices throughout Afghanistan’s 34 provinces.
The ELECT II project, commencing in January 2012, provides long-term assistance to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) of Afghanistan, focusing on institutional strengthening and capacity consolidation. The overarching objective of ELECT-II is to support the national electoral institutions to plan and conduct credible future elections with minimal external support. Continuing long-term assistance through support to capacity building of national electoral authorities beyond 2010 is in accordance with Security Council Resolution 1974 (2011). This assistance is closely coordinated with UNAMA, UNDPKO and EAD.
The three key outputs for ELECT II are:
Note: UNDP Afghanistan reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Afghanistan at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements.
- Output 1: Operational and technical capacity of the IEC is developed to ensure well organized, future Afghan-led electoral processes.
- Output 2: The quality of the national voter registry is improved.
- Output 3: Capacity of the IEC to encourage broader democratic participation is strengthened.
Deberes y responsabilidades
The Communications Specialist will be part of a team of specialists supervised and guided by the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) and will report on delivery to the Senior Technical Adviser – Output 3. Her/his primary task will be to advocate and promote UNDP ELECT’s mandate, mission and purpose through effective information sharing within the UN system, with development partners, international stakeholders, and others as relevant. S/he will assist the formulation and implementation of effective internal/external communications practices, including regular updates on the ELECT Project, and timely contributions to UN agency-wide communications. S/he will manage ELECT meeting records, shared folders and project archives, and contribute to conveyance of key communication key messages through preparation of advisory notes, briefings, talking points and presentations for senior management. S/he will maintain an inventory of ELECT knowledge management for sharing within the UN system. S/he will proactively identify communication opportunities and challenges and develop plans to meet these accordingly.
- In consultation with ELECT senior management, establish and implement effective internal communications strategy/practices, contributing to optimal coordination internally, within UN system and amongst key development partners and international stakeholders.
- Corresponding to a communications strategy, design and implement relevant internal/ external information/communications practices, systems and products.
- Prepare advisory notes, fact sheets, talking points / briefings, and periodic updates on the UNDP ELECT Project, as well as regular update contributions to the UNDP website.
- Manage ELECT meeting records, shared folders and project archives, and serve as a conduit for communications, directing relevant information/requests to ELECT staff and assisting in response.
- Coordinate and manage all ELECT publication activities, including content management, publishing standards, design, translation, and dissemination, ensuring quality of all communication materials.
- Provide constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communications components in all aspects of the projects, and advise ELECT staff on consistent integration of effective communication practices, including project developments, updates and successes.
- Liaise and coordinate efforts with the UNAMA Spokesman/Communications Office, other UN agencies and international stakeholders.
- Regular coordination and complementary support to the UNDP ELECT Planning, Monitoring and Reporting specialist, ensuring integrated approach to all reporting, and backstop as necessary.
- Prepare regular media updates on relevant political / electoral media reports.
- Promote knowledge-sharing among ELECT staff and with other UN agencies, and identify synergies.
- Where appropriate/possible, plan field visits with partners (donors and international
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN values and ethical standards.
- Promote the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Display cultural gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Strong knowledge in communication strategy development and implementation.
- Seasoned ability to develop communication products for both local communities and global audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to translate policy and programmatic issues into local contexts.
- Strong research and analytical skills and ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from a variety of sources.
- Ability to build productive partnerships with various stakeholders.
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English.
- Ability to write quickly, clearly and concisely.
- Ability in production, sub-editing, and editing of various communication documents, including website.
- Ability in transmitting knowledge and building capacities.
- Ability to act as a team player and leader, with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a pressured environment with strict deadlines.
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
- Master’s Degree in media relations, journalism, publishing, communication, public relation, political sciences or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience designing and implementing effective internal / external communications strategies, underscored by effective communication (writing) skills.
- Experience working within a governance/elections / issue-oriented context.
- Experience working in Afghanistan or a demonstrable knowledge/understanding of the current political context.
- Experience building staff capacity.
- Leadership qualities, including the ability to motivate others, involve all members of a team, inspire a sense of ownership and responsibility among staff, and elicit consistently high-quality output.
- Ability to meet challenges, constructively and creatively.
- Ability to quickly adapt to change, and to remain calm under pressure.
- Time management and organizational skills, with the ability to undertake multiple tasks.
- Diplomatic skills, cultural and political sensitivity.
- Fluency in English and excellent writing skills are required.
Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date 28 June 2012 will not be given consideration. Please note that only applications who are short-listed will be contacted.
For more detailed information about UNDP Afghanistan please visit our website at www.undp.org.af
Successful candidates must be prepared to start work within 3 weeks of the offer of appointment.
Internal candidates who have served a minimum of 12 months in the current assignment are invited to apply.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Pulse aquí para consultar información importante para los residentes permanentes de los EE.UU. (tarjeta verde)
El PNUD está comprometido con lograr la diversidad de su personal en términos de género, nacionalidad y cultura. Se alienta por igual a las personas que pertenecen a grupos minoritarios, a pueblos indígenas o que tienen alguna discapacidad a presentar su candidatura. Todas las solicitudes se tratarán con la mayor confidencialidad.