- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Fiji (Multi-country Office)
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- About Us
- News Centre
Social Media Consultant
|Location :||Home-Based with expected move to duty station ( New York )upon eliminating of COVID-19 restrictions)|
|Application Deadline :||26-Jul-21 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Type of Contract :||IPSA (Regular)|
|Post Level :||IPSA-9|
|Languages Required :||English|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||7.5 Months|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and the contact details for three (3) most recent professional references this may include previous supervisors and peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
UNDP will cover the cost of travel of the individual to the duty station, as well as their return to their home upon completion of their services. Travel costs are covered only in the event that the function will be undertaken physically in the duty station and excludes working from home arrangements.
The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) is responsible for positioning UNDP as the world’s leading global development network, promoting its global authority and thought leadership on sustainable development and the interconnected issues of poverty, inequality, and climate change. BERA leads and supports UNDP in building and nurturing strategic relationships and alliances essential to achieving its mission.
Creating strong political and financial backing for UNDP by providing partners and supporters with a clear understanding of what UNDP does and how our mission, capabilities and flagship services relate to them. The Bureau leads UNDP’s work on innovative and diversified partnerships and ways of financing the Decade of Action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. It is also responsible for global campaigns on critical development issues, which aim to inform government policies and build partnerships around high-impact solutions. BERA coordinates and sets corporate standards across the functions of partnerships, marketing and communications within UNDP and leads on internal communications.
The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy is positioned around three service lines; Public Partnership; Advocacy, Marketing and Communications; and Private and Finance Partners, all working in close collaboration and coordination under the guidance of the Directorate and with the support of the Management Support Unit and Strategic Analysis and Engagement team.
BERA has a robust network of Representation Offices (Brussels, Copenhagen, Geneva, Tokyo and Washington D.C.) and Regional Teams in five hubs (Africa, Arab States, Asia Pacific, Europe and CIS, and Latin American and the Caribbean) co-led with Regional Bureaux, all of which play a critical role in audience centric communications and management and strengthening of relationships with Public and Private Partners to help build a strong brand for UNDP within the local ecosystem. Within BERA, the Advocacy, Marketing and Communications Group leads and manages external communications through strategy, media, digital communications, marketing, branding and global storytelling.
Within Advocacy, Marketing and Communications Group, the Digital Comms Studio plays an essential role to develop and manage UNDP’s global online presence, creating compelling public-facing content, leading on social networks and digital engagement, building capacities for greater impact through digital communications, and helping build a strong brand for UNDP. As part of an organization-wide digital transformation, the Digital Comms Studio has recently launched a major overhaul of UNDP’s corporate websites (including the enterprise Web CMS) to be rolled out throughout 2021.
The Social Media Consultant is part of the Digital Communications Studio and will be supervised by the Social Media Coordinator. Primarily tasked with content creation and optimization of UNDP’s global social media platforms, the consultant will also analyze global audience behavior; evaluate effectiveness of the current portfolio of platforms; test new approaches; enhance the user experience and journey; and support the evolution of practice throughout UNDP’s global network of digital communications personnel. The Social Media Consultant will also be a key member of cross-sectional teams to help planning and implementing major communication campaigns and projects.
The consultant will be working under the direct supervision of the Social Media Coordinator, Digital Communications Studio and overall guidance of the Senior Management of the Advocacy, Marketing and Communications Group in BERA.
Duties and Responsibilities
i. Manage the strategic growth of global audiences through social media and other digital channels.
• Research, edit, write and develop high-impact social media content including copy, graphics, videos and other multimedia formats that effectively informs and engages external audiences and supports campaigns;
• Maintain, monitor and engage with selected social media platforms;
• Develop, implement and evaluate social media plans for major communication projects and campaigns as set forth by the Communications Group’s senior management team;
• Ensure the proper and selective use of social media for audience development;
• Drive paid advertising campaigns across social media;
• Identify and work with influencers for a strategic promotion of UNDP’s work and key messages;
• Research and identify new platforms, best practices and trends in social media and digital;
• Research, produce (in coordination with the Digital team) and distribute a monthly newsletter promoting UNDP’s work;
• Seek opportunities and partnerships to promote UNDP and its priorities through social media.
ii. Continually optimize UNDP’s social media system.
• Repeatedly evaluate effectiveness of UNDP’s global portfolio of social media platforms;
• Recommend and deploy social media tools for strategic and efficient planning and management;
• Use social media listening tools to drive insights and suggestions for UNDP’s Social media and digital platforms;
• Provide trainings and guidance to staff and colleagues in HQ and worldwide in the effective use of social media.
iii. Contribute to digital editorial and creative process.
• With communication objectives in mind, work with web editors and communication focal points at headquarters to determine, negotiate and maintain a 12-month editorial calendar for digital communications;
• Along with digital editorial, production and technical teams, develop creative content for digital platforms to build awareness and engagement and achieve strategic priorities.
iv. Measure web and social media performance
• Support the Digital team in producing regular analytics report for web and social media, specifically campaigns and monthly and yearly reporting, using different tools;
• Provide analysis of data to draw insights and recommendations.
v. Perform other duties as needed to ensure the healthy functioning of UNDP’s digital communications ecosystem
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
Min. years of relevant Work experience
Minimum required skills
Required Language(s) (at working level)
Fluency in English is required; fluency in another UN language is an asset.