UNDP works in more than 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of
poverty and the reduction of inequalities, poverty and exclusion while protecting the planet. UNDP
helps countries develop strong policies, skills, partnerships, and institutions so they can sustain
a multidimensional level of progress that extends beyond economic gains. UNDP has worked in
India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development, from systems and institutional
strengthening to inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods, as well as sustainable energy,
environment and resilience.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Communications, the communications intern will
execute communications-related activities in the country office, implement content strategies for
website/social media posts, identify partnership propositions on key advocacy issues, coordinate
for content amongst state and programme teams, and provide daily professional support to team
This position will be based in New Delhi but may involve travel to project sites within India, if
Duties and Responsibilities
As part of the Communications Unit and under the supervision of the Head of Communications,
the Communications Intern will be responsible for undertaking the following activities:
- Support the development and implementation of UNDP India’s Communications strategy, Annual Communications Plan and Key Performance Indicators
- Support content development for stories, op-eds, talking points, press releases and/or social media posts
- Assist team members in synthesizing information from UNDP programme and state teams including collating information for Gender Seal Strategy 2019-2022.
- Carry out mapping of potential partnerships in accordance with UNDP’s private sector, media and celebrity engagement strategy. Support with contacts and engagement propositions.
- Support in preparing presentations, decks, pitches, toolkits and process documents.
- Assist in maintaining dashboards, meeting calendars for the Communications Unit
- Support the team with curation and coordination of events, campaigns, workshops
- highlighting the work of UNDP and building relationships within the ecosystem
- Build communication materials for events and help spread awareness through relevant channels.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgement.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Creating synergies through self-control.
- Managing conflict.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethics and standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age, sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Functional Competencies/Technical skills
- Writing and Editing skills
- Ability to analyze large sets of data and reports and synthesize complex issues.
- Create excel spreadsheets and dashboards
- Familiarity with website management, social media platforms,branding and fostering private sector partnerships
- Experience of creating content across a variety of medium
- Demonstrated ability to plan and curate campaigns, events and workshops
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong Powerpoint, Word and Excel skills
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches for publishing content, fostering partnerships and launching campaigns.
- Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external parties
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of
application meet one of the following requirements:
(a)Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a
master’s programme, or higher); Candidates with Mass
Communication, Journalism, Mass Media, Public Relations
background are preferred
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree
programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent); Candidates
with Mass Communication, Journalism, Mass Media, Public
Relations background are preferred
(c) Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in
(a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within
one-year of graduation.