Bosnia and Herzegovina ratified the Stockholm Convention on 30 May 2010 and committed to meeting the requirements of the Convention, with the main objective to take measures for the elimination or restriction or prevention of the production, import, export and use of all manufactured POPs and the continuous reduction to minimize the occurrence of these pollutants in the environment, and the elimination of emissions of unintentionally produced POPs. These substances pose a global threat to the environment and human health due to their long persistence in the environment, their long term and cumulative toxic properties, and their capacity to bioaccumulate in living organisms, so the overall objective of the project is to reduce risk for people’s health and the environment.
UNDP’s Environmentally Sound Management of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) in industrial and hazardous waste sectors (POPs project) intends to prevent the release of POPs in the environment through the implementation of green chemistry initiatives in the industry and agriculture along with destruction of identified POPs waste stockpiles.
The project has the following components:
- Capacity building and mainstreaming of POPs related legislation into the process of harmonization of the BiH environmental legislation.
- Prevention and monitoring of U-POPs generation and of release of POPs through minimization, segregation, and environmentally sound management of selected hazardous waste stream.
- Implementation of green chemistry principles in plastic manufacturing to prevent the use of and release of new POPs.
- Management and disposal of PCBs and POPs from abandoned industrial premises.
- Monitoring, learning, adaptive feedback, outreach, and evaluation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, the Intern will be provided an opportunity to learn about the legislative and policy framework concerning industrial and hazardous waste, as well as main stakeholders and practices in agricultural sector and various industries, UN Sustainable Development Goals, and the UNDP activities in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The Intern is expected to perform the following tasks in the POPs Project Team:
- Researching, collecting, and processing data concerning industrial and hazardous waste
- Supporting communications component of the Project
- Writing summaries of meetings and events
- Supporting organization of conferences, workshops, and other project events
- Assist in other related duties and tasks as required by the Project Manager.
- Have a keen interest in the work of the UN and the UNDP and demonstrate a commitment to its statement of purpose and to the ideals of the UN.
- Have a keen interest in topics regarding environmental protection in BIH.
- Ability to successfully interact with individuals of differing socio-economic, religious and cultural backgrounds both professionally and personally;
- Ability and desire to work in a team;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong research skills and ability to identify relevant information
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations;
- Detail-oriented way of working;
- Innovative and creative approach to tasks;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants to the UNDP Internship Programme must at the time of the application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a Master’s programme or higher in media and communications, public relations, journalism)
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent in media and communications, public relations, journalism)
- Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in a) and b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one year of graduation
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Strong computer skills, particularly in MS Office applications (spreadsheets, data processing and web-editing).
The intern will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in in-house training opportunities as applicable;
- Learn the structure, mechanisms, policies and practice areas of UNDP;
- Participate in dedicated trainings and UNDP online learning tools;
- Strengthen his/her effective writing.
Terms and Conditions
- Since 1 January 2020 UNDP interns are provided a monthly stipend to cover costs associated to the internship. The stipend amount varies from duty station to duty station. The amount can also vary depending if a selected candidate receives financial support from a nominating institution, related institution or government
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- UNDP only accepts interns for a minimum of 6 weeks and a maximum of 6 months;
- Interns are expected to work full time but flexibility is allowed for their education programme;
- Due to the reduced presence in the UN House due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the interns are expected to be engaged remotely. The travel restrictions imposed the national goverments might limit the possibility for international interns to travel to Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNDP but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.
More information available at: http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/operations/jobs/types-of-opportunities/internships.html