Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Manager “SDS project “, the Communications Officer supports the implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies of the GCC and Kuwait Office and SDS project “to increase the standing and awareness of “SDS project “with partners, the media and the public. The Communications Officer promotes a client-oriented approach in UN.
Duties and Responsibilities
Planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach
- Planning and elaboration of communications needs assessments for Country programme including SDS project.
- Elaboration of the project communications and outreach strategy based on corporate strategic priorities and UN Habitat External Communications Action Plan.
- Constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communications components in the project.
- Coordinate with the Communications focal points at the Regional Office and Iraq Programme to ensure synergies and complementarities, and with HQ Communications Section when necessary.
Elaboration and implementation of the project publications strategy and plan
- Elaboration and implementation of the project publications strategy and plan based on the corporate publications policy.
- Identification and development of storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on key interventions.
- Coordination of all project publication activities, including content management, norms for publishing, design, liaison with printers and other suppliers to oversee production and supervision of publications dissemination.
Supports the business development
- Creation and promotion of campaigns that position UN Habitat with local and international media and influences the development agenda based on current programme and new initiatives.
- Creation, promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on issues including UN Habitat activities & Sustainable Development Goals
- Increased coverage and understanding of the UN Habitat work in the country or practice area through development and maintenance of media contacts and providing newsworthy information to national public and donors.
- Formatting, packaging and submission of project initiatives for donor review in close
- Collaboration with the Project Manager and the head of UN- Habitat
- Development and maintenance of close contacts with government officials, multilateral and bilateral
- Donors, civil society and private sector for implementation of the communications strategy, organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, project visits, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.
- Ensuring access for journalists to subject-matter experts and UN Habitat spokespeople.
- Regular updates to donors, donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support project.
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
- Innovative and creative solutions to sensitive or project strategic public communications issues.
- Advocacy and promotion of UN Habitat mandate, mission and purpose.
Facilitation of knowledge building and management
Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Monitor practices, and project-specific news and developments in order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most current available information.
Plans and acts transparently, actively works to removes barriers; Creates awareness of substantive opportunities and risks among others; Navigates complex circumstances thoughtfully and is solution minded
Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them; Integrates diverse contributions to formulate coherent approaches; Aligns innovation to service delivery components; Manages prototype / pilot efforts and seeks feedback.
- People Management:
Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others; Coaches team members to appropriately share knowledge across teams; Addresses conflicts in a timely, sensitive manner; escalates to leadership when appropriate; Recognizes members of the team for their efforts and successes; Optimizes individual and team abilities.
- Communication & Relationship Management:
Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others; Persuades others to embrace new ideas, even when controversial; Empathizes with client perspectives and needs and communicates messages with the clients’ experiences in mind; Creates opportunities for developing new client relationships.
?Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions; Anticipates constraints and identifies solutions; Expands capacity of team to deliver on time, on target, and within organizational standards; Ensures high quality of work in terms of both substantive depth and adaptive relevance to client needs; accepts responsibility for implementation / team deliverables / client satisfaction consistent with organizational standards; Exhibits thorough organizational awareness of UNDP’s approach to client service delivery and integrity and accountability; Exhibits sound judgment and the ability to make reasonable decisions in complex situations.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Shows effective problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive attitude.
- Demonstrates strong oral, written communication and presentation skills.
- Able to perform effective coaching, mentoring and facilitation roles
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external partners.
- Strong self-management skills to plan, manage, and deliver results
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Able to lead procurement processes using standard procurement methods and tools.
- Able to conduct standard training/learning exercises
- Strong project management capabilities
- Strong IT Skills
- Able to implement new systems (business side) and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office.
- Contributes to UNDP practice areas
- Develops deep understanding in procurement and training/learning
Demonstrates strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing
- helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan, applies new acquired skills and can draw lessons from professional/personal experience and integrate new learning into overall approach to work.
- Strong interpersonal and team-based skills in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary and multi-sectoral environment.
- Strong networking skills to ensure effective collaborative relationships across the spectrum of internal and external stakeholders.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, International Relations, Media and Communications, Journalism, Social Science, or bachelor’s degree in combination with additional 2 years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree is required.
5 years with master’s degree, or 7 years with Bachelor of relevant experience in communications, public relations and administration is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is required. Experience in handling of web-based management systems is desirable.
Fluency in oral and written English and Arabic language is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.