With our more than 40 years of presence in China, UNDP facilitates the achievement of the SDGs in line with China’s 14th Five-Year Plan promoting sustainable development principles in development and economic decisions, focusing on reducing inequality, recalibrating the economy for more inclusive growth, reducing the environmental impact of China’s rapid development putting the country on a low-carbon footprint, and assisting to China’s increasing role in global development cooperation as an effective development partner.
Global energy consumption accounts for 73.2% of the greenhouse gas emissions worldwide, of which, 16.2% is contributed by the Transport sector. To mitigate the adverse impact of climate change and assist China for a greener post-COVID recovery, the Hydrogen Economy and Future of Work Portfolio of UNDP China’s People, Peace and Prosperity Pillar, works with a wide range of cities across China to demonstrate hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, support governments on policy innovations and the hydrogen industry build a functional industrial chain.
The Hydrogen Economy Portfolio is looking for candidates with excellent command of English and Chinese, strong organisational skills, experience in the field of international development, as well as knowledge or genuine interest in the field of energy, technical vocational education and training, industrial economics, business and project management etc.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform tasks related to project information management, administration, translation, organisation of events and an international conference, communications, policy and news watch, knowledge products production and other tasks as requested by the Programme Manager. S/he will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Support on project management (60%)
- Draft meeting minutes in an accurate, organised, and concise manner.
- Assist the regular communications with the implementation partners to follow up on project progress.
- Support the effective implementation of projects, including information management, drafting relevant documentations and notes for archiving, double-checking annual work plan figures, drafting or fact-checking regular project reports, and maintaining archives as required.
- Assist in the drafting, translation, and proofreading of reports, meeting documents, speeches, project documents etc.
- Support the procurement procedures including drafting terms of references, note-to-files etc. in alignment with UNDP policies, keeping track record of vendor information, contracts, and raise issues for supervisor attention when necessary.
- Support project reviews and audits.
- Assist in advocacy and the production of knowledge products (20%)
- Support the drafting of project best practices and lessons learnt.
- Conduct policy and news watch and update the Portfolio’s policy inventory periodically.
- Draft and update portfolio’s project briefs.
- Developing and updating ppt slides such as portfolio briefs, webinar presentations etc.
- Proofreading and translation of knowledge products.
- Prepare social media posts for the Portfolio’s campaigns.
- Archive media coverage and pictures of UNDP China’s engagements on clean energy and hydrogen.
- Event management and coordination (20%)
- Provide solid support on the planning, organisation and coordination of events, campaigns, and the UNDP Hydrogen Industry Conference in October.
- Develop, timely update and management of accurate conference databases (i.e. conference agenda, invitations, keynote presentations, and speaker bios) and logistics databases (i.e. guest ID, flight/accommodation requirements).
- Manage a team of translators; archive and coordinate with vendors for using the translated documents; and supervise the translation quality.
- Coordination with the host government for provision of conference and logistics information.
- Liaise with vendors and partners to ensure that the final arrangements are accurate and in line with UNDP’s requirement and diplomatic protocols.
- The incumbent is also expected to perform other tasks as requested and encouraged to participate in office-wide and cross-team initiatives upon approval of her/his supervisor.
1. General qualities
- Excellent command of English and Chinese.
- Great attention to detail.
- Participates actively as part of a team to achieve goals.
- Good interpersonal skills and can thrive in diverse environments.
- The ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with different stakeholders.
- General understanding of NGO and international development issues.
2. Result delivery
- A can-do attitude and a highly organised approach to work even when under pressure.
- A quick learner with strong logical and analytical skills.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise in consultation with supervisor.
- Proactive and comfortable to seek guidance and ask for support from others when necessary.
- Able to work both in teams and independently.
3. Conceptual competency
- Quick learner to understand the subject matter of the portfolio’s work.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- The ability to write precisely in a logical and concise manner.
Required Skills and Experience
- Basic knowledge or genuine interest in climate and energy issues and the UN’s mandate is a must.
- Within one year of finishing or about to graduate from a master’s degree by end 2021.
- Academic trainings in one of the following areas strongly desirable: energy, technical vocational education and training, industrial economics, engineering and project management, business studies, development studies, public policy, and international relations.
- Candidates majored in English or other disciplines with strong interest in climate and energy issues are equally encouraged to apply.
- Hands-on experience providing administrative support to ensure operational efficiency and compliance is a must.
- Experience maintaining large and complex excel databases and extract information; establishing and following document archiving systems.
- Experience working under high pressure and delivery results at pace.
- Experience in planning, promoting, organising, and coordinating for large events.
- Experience drafting diplomatic documents in English and Chinese a strong asset.
3. Other requirements
- Excellent command of the Microsoft Office Suite incl. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Knowledge in other UN official languages is desirable.
- Please include your availability dates and earliest desired starting date at the top of your CV
- All genders of candidates are equally encouraged to apply for this position.
- Knowledge or experience on gender equality and gender mainstreaming is a desired asset.