United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women (UN Women), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
One of the programme priorities of UN Women for Ethiopia is enhancing women’s leadership at all levels and their political participation under the theme women in leadership and governance. In this area, UN Women at the global level works to build capacity of women leaders and political candidates, sensitize the public on gender equality and the rights of women to have equal share in leadership positions and encourage constitutional reforms to ensure that women enjoy their political rights in equal footing with men.
UN Women Ethiopia’s ‘Increased Participation and Effective Representation of Women in Leadership in Ethiopia: The Road to Equitable Development (2022-2026)’ program aims at contributing to the overarching goal: ‘Women fully and equally participate in leadership and decision-making and women and girls benefit from gender-responsive governance’ by addressing multifaceted barriers that hinder women including young women and women with disabilities from equally and effectively participating in public and political life as leaders and decision makers. It also aims to contribute towards gender responsiveness of key democratic and governance institutions including parliament and regional councils, local governments, political parties and electoral management bodies in Ethiopia. The programme is designed to advance UN Women Strategic Plan (2022-2025) Impact area one ‘Governance and participation in public life’, to support Ethiopia towards achievement of SDG Goal 5, Target 5.5; Goal 16, Target 16.7. The programme is in line with United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework UNSDCF (2020-2025) in Ethiopia, particularly with Outcome 1 and Outcome 2; and UN Women Ethiopia Strategic Note (2021 – 2024), UN Women Strategic Note (2021- 2025) and Government of Ethiopia’s 10-year Perspective Plan (2020/21-2029/30) that aspires to bring women at the center of the country’s development.
UN Women Ethiopia Country Office ECO is seeking to hire a Programme Analyst to support the implementation of the programme. Reporting to Programme Specialist, the Programme Analyst exercises overall responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing UN Women interventions under his/her portfolio. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under his/her portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the area of women’s leadership and governance
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme.
Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of the women’s leadership and governance programme
- Provide technical inputs to the annual workplan and budget;
- Support the implementation of programme activities;
- Support the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
Provide technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
- Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities; Develop technical knowledge products
- Maintain relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the women’s leadership and governance programme;
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed.
- Build the capacity of partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results- based management tools;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results s, outputs and outcomes;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports.
Provide substantive technical inputs to the management of people and finances of the Leadership and Governance programme
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
- Provide substantive inputs to financial reports;
Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on the thematic area of women’s leadership and governance to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country
- Provide substantive technical support to the Programme Specialist on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to the women’s leadership and governance program;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on women’s leadership and governance thematic area.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good analytical skills
- Good knowledge of technical area
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Experience in the area of enhancing women's representation and participation in leadership and decision making is mandatory;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Amharic is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
- Knowledge of another local language is an asset.
- All applications must include (as an attachment) a completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided?on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)