The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development (IICPSD) has a mandate to leverage the role of the private sector in development. The IICPSD was established in Istanbul, Turkey on the basis of the Partnership Framework Agreement signed between the Government of the Republic of Turkey and the United Nations Development Program in March 2011. The center is one of the six global thematic centers of UNDP, advocating and facilitating the contribution of the private sector to human development and inclusive growth. More specifically, IICPSD’s main goals are to:
•Support the development of inclusive markets and inclusive business models that engage poor people into value chains as producers, employees, consumers, and entrepreneurs, with the end goal of poverty alleviation.
•Creation of a demand driven set of tools and guidelines for engaging the private sector in development, in key markets that will be used as best practices guidelines.
•Become a hub for programmatic private sector partnership for SDG implementation across UNDP, by designing, establishing, and monitoring concrete global and national public private partnerships that creates results for development.
•Establish IICPSD as a global Centre of excellence for dialogue on private sector development by convening business and supporting actors.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the IICPSD’s Deputy Director, the Research Analyst will support the production of reports and knowledge management activities of IICPSD in impact investing and inclusive business areas; toolkit and training development initiatives of the center, cooperation, technical advisory, and implementation assistance offered to other UNDP units, including COs and RBx. The Research Analyst will conduct research on political, social, and economic trends in impact investing thematic area of the Center and participates in the formulation, management, and evaluation of knowledge management activities within IICPSD’s mandate to enhance the role of private sector in development.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
• Implementation of the research and other programmatic activities of IICPSD in impact investing thematic area;
• Participation in the formulation, management and evaluation of activities within IICPSD’s thematic areas;
• Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy;
• Provision of top quality advisory services to the relevant stakeholders and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
Ensures implementation of the strategies of IICPSD on the private sector’s role in impact investing in following areas:
- Thorough analysis and research of the role of private sector in impact investing and inclusive business, focusing on good practices and lessons learned that enhance inclusive growth.
- Conduct research and support preparation of high-quality policy and programme guidance material for fields such as innovative financing mechanisms, impact investing ecosystem and inclusive business models.
- Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within these thematic areas.
- Conduct the necessary internal procedures related to editing, design, clearance of documents and advocacy materials.
- Contribute to the facilitation of partnerships and regularly cover industry related stories and their development impact through briefs and blogposts.
Participates in the effective formulation, management and evaluation of knowledge management activities of the impact investing and inclusive business thematic areas of IICPSD focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the IICPSD activities:
- Design and formulation of some parts of IICPSD activities within the area of responsibility, translating IICPSD’s priorities into local interventions and partnerships.
- Initiation of a project, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review.
- Application of conceptual models in support of partnership and intervention design.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of IICPSD activities in the knowledge management activities under the urbanization thematic area, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions.
- Preparation of inputs for reporting, including reporting to higher level management of IICPSD.
Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization:
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization for impact investing and inclusive business thematic areas.
- Create linkages with stakeholders for enhancing the impact of advocacy activities.
- Support communication, advocacy, and outreach activities for their implementation in line with the respective guidelines of UNDP.
Provides top quality advisory services on private sector engagement in impact investing and inclusive business areas to the relevant stakeholders and ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to the thematic area.
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned that are linked to the thematic area.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of events and trainings on the thematic area.
- Professional growth through active learning.
LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for content, or responsive to a stated need
Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels.
Working with Evidence and Data
Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision-making
Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally
Business Direction & Strategy
Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome. Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks.
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
Required Skills and Experience
Master's or higher degree in economics, management, business administration, international development, international relations, political science, economic development, or related field. .
ORBachelor’s degree on management, business administration, international development, international relations, political science, economic development or related field is required.
Minimum 1 year of research and data analysis experience preferably in international development and economic analysis (applicable for candidates having master’s degree)
ORMinimum 2 years of research and data analysis experience preferably in international development and economic analysis (applicable for candidates having bachelor’s degree).
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is required.
- Experience in research, quantitative and qualitative data analysis is required.
- Proven experience in research and analysis of investment trends and landscapes, private sector development, impact investing ecosystems and/or innovative financial tools and mechanisms is an asset.
- Experience in drafting and finalizing high quality materials for internal and external partners including proposals and work plans, concept notes, technical and financial reports. is an asset.
- Experience in implementation of UNDP’s SDG Investor Maps is an asset.
- Experience with UNDP is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems (i.e. ERP, Atlas, PeopleSoft programmes) is an asset