UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Ukraine UN Women works with the government, parliament and civil society in advancing gender equality through implementation of the national and international commitments on gender equality and women’s human rights. UN Women Ukraine implements interventions towards the realization of following strategic goals: elimination of violence against women and girls; implementation of women, peace and security agenda and gender responsive governance. UN Women works closely with the UN Country Team in integration of women’s rights and gender equality in all spheres of UN work.
Since the beginning of the Russian military invasion on 24 February 2022, Ukraine is rapidly emerging as one of the world’s most complex emergencies with over 3 million refugees already fleeing the country and with growing humaniatarian crisis and needs. Women’s groups and civil society organizations have been quick to react to the immediate priorities of their communities, but face many challenges as they attempt to provide support to large numbers of internally displaced people, host-communities and those directly affected by violence and insecurity. Civil society, and particularly women’s organizations in Ukraine are in the front-line to deliver immediate humanitarian assistance to displaced women and girls. Displaced women and girls are facing multiple human rights violations, including sexual and gender-based violence.
In response to the invasion and humanitarian crisis, the United Nations Women's Peace and Humanitarian Fund (WPHF), with the technical support of UN Women, has activated its emergency response for Ukraine, by supporting local women's rights organizations in Ukraine and Moldova on the frontlines of the response to the needs and displacement of women and girls.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of Programme Manager/Programme Coordinator, Project Assistant contributes to the effective management of the project. The Project Assistant supports the project by performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. S/he promotes a client-oriented, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Project Assistant works in close collaboration with the programme and project staff and the Operations team to ensure consistent service delivery.
Impact of results:
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the Programme Unit and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Support implementation of operational strategies
- Provide general contract monitoring support to the project implementation
- Provision of administrative and logistical support
- Support to office maintenance and assets management
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Support implementation of operational strategies by:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to the project’s administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Provision of inputs to the preparation and implementation of administrative team results-oriented work plans.
Provide general contract monitoring support to the project implementation in:
- Monitoring the timely submission of deliverables and timely processing of payments under project special service agreements and institutional contracts;
- Regular updating the project main register of contracts and payments;
- Compiling necessary documents for hiring of new or amending contracts of current consultants or companies;
- Gathering necessary documents for creation/amendment of Vendor Profiles, e-requisitions, Purchase Orders, micro-canvass forms, vouchers.
Ensure effective provision of administrative and logistical support by:
- Assisting in organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UN Women shipments (received/sent);
- Support Buyer in preparation of POs by submitting full set of necessary supporting documents;
- Supporting organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation;
- Ensuring that travel arrangements and authorizations, passport and visa requests and extensions, flight bookings and all other matters related to travel of international and national project staff inside and outside Ukraine are properly and timely authorized and processed;
- Providing administrative support to preparation of conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services;
- Providing inputs for preparation of budget, provision of information for audit;
- Participation in data collection, analysis and maintenance of projects related data base and files; maintaining accurate electronic and paper filing, information and records systems ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Participation in project activities (meetings, round tables, conferences, other public activities) preparation, implementation and follow up, taking meeting minutes;
Support to office maintenance and assets management by:
- Maintenance of records on assets management and preparation of required reports;
- Provision of support to maintenance of premises and common services;
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office premises and related maintenance;
- Acting as custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing by:
- Provision of necessary administrative support for effective knowledge management and sharing within the Unit;
- Facilitation/conduction of trainings for the operations/projects staff on administration;
- Providing of sound contribution to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Measurable outputs of the work assignment:
Timely and quality administrative services provided to project and Agency
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS:
- Quality of work;
- Relations with colleagues and ability to be an effective team player;
- Technical Skills;
- Knowledge of required procedures;
- Communication and listening skills.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the Programme unit including logistical support;
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems;
- Creates, edits and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client's perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
- Ability to administer and execute financial processes and transactions;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow.
Required Skills and Experience
UN Women Personal History Form (P11) must be completed and attached as part of the online application - https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-p11-personal-history-form.doc?la=en&vs=558
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check).