UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action, peace, and security.
Investing in women’s economic empowerment sets a direct path towards gender equality, poverty eradication and inclusive economic growth. Women make enormous contributions to economies, whether in businesses, on farms, as entrepreneurs or employees, or by doing unpaid care work at home. But they also remain disproportionately affected by poverty, discrimination, and exploitation. Gender discrimination means women often end up in insecure, low-wage jobs, and constitute a small minority of those in senior positions. It curtails access to economic assets such as land and loans. It limits participation in shaping economic and social policies. And, because women perform the bulk of household work, they are often left with little time to pursue economic opportunities.
Through its dedicated programmes, UN Women Pakistan strives to influence and develop policies and plans to enhance socio-economic empowerment of women (including from marginalized groups and home-based workers) so that women benefit from decent work, income security and socio-economic development. Working with a variety of partners, UN Women’s programmes promote women’s ability to secure decent jobs, accumulate assets, and influence institutions and public policies determining growth and development.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Contribute technically to the development of Programme strategies in the area of WEE&SL
- Provide inputs to the design and formulation of Programme/ project proposals and initiatives within the context of provincial realities related to women’s economic empowerment.
2. Provide technical support to the implementation and management of the WEE Programme
- Provide inputs to the annual workplan and budget as required.
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of programme activities.
- Coordinate the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners.
- Review and coordinate the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports.
- Train partners on Results Based Management.
3. Provide technical assistance and capacity development support to project/programme partners
- Provide technical support to and technically oversee the implementation of programme activities with partners.
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and coordinate and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners as needed.
4. Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Monitor progress on implementation of programme activity, results, and indicators by the responsible parties.
- Provide inputs to quarterly reports, donor reports and other reports on outputs, results outputs, and outcomes.
5. Provide technical inputs to the management of people and finances of WEE&SL Programme
- Monitor activity expenditures and validate budget revisions when required.
- Provide inputs to financial reports.
- Oversee the work of Programme Associates and Assistants as needed.
6. Contribute to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases.
- Provide inputs to relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles.
7. Provide technical inputs to inter-agency coordination on WEE&SL to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in Pakistan
- Provide technical support on inter-agency coordination related activities by providing inputs to background reports and briefs.
8. Provide inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Provide technical inputs to background documents, briefs and presentations related to WEE&SL.
- Coordinate with comms unit and support the organization of advocacy activities and campaigns events, trainings, workshops, and knowledge products.
- Provide inputs to the development of knowledge management products on WEE&SL.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality inputs to programme design
- Timely and quality inputs to workplans and budgets
- Adherence to UN Women standards and rules
- Timely monitoring and tracking of programme result and finances
- Timely organization of events
- Number of knowledge products developed
- Provision of provincial updates and regular reporting
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Programme formulation, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation skills
- Knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions, and present findings
- Good analytical skills
- Good knowledge of Project Management, Monitoring & Evaluation tools, Coordination with stakeholders
Please visit https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf for more details on UN Women Values and Competencies Framework.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree in social sciences, human rights, gender/ women’s studies, international development, or a related field.
- At least 5 year of relevant work experience in development, programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building.
- Ability and willingness to accept and manage multiple tasks with efficiency, with own initiative and without supervision.
- Knowledge and dedication to the UN principles required; experience of working with governmental bodies as well as civil society organizations is a must, along with management advisory services and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in the area of Women’s Economic Empowerment is an asset.
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
- Knowledge of ATLAS system will be considered an asset.
- Fluency in English and Urdu is required.
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form.doc. Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)