UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to eradicate poverty, reduce inequalities and exclusion, and build resilience so countries can sustain progress. As the UN’s development agency, UNDP plays a critical role in helping countries achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development (IICPSD) is the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) global organization mandated to leverage the role of the private sector in development. The IICPSD was established in Istanbul, Turkey based on the Partnership Framework Agreement signed between the Government of the Republic of Turkey and the United Nations Development Program in March 2011. The center is one of the six global thematic policy centers of UNDP, supports the private sector and foundations to become transformative partners in development through research, advocacy, facilitation of public-private dialogue and brokering partnerships. IICPSD leads UNDP’s global work on private sector and foundations and supports UNDP’s offices all around the world.
FELLOWSHIP OFFICE BACKGROUND:
The SDG AI Lab is a joint initiative of UNDP BPPS (Bureau for Policy and Programme Support) team, and it is hosted under UNDP IICPSD. The SDG AI Lab provides research, development, and advisory support through cutting-edge digital solutions in harnessing the potential of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for sustainable development. The Lab aims to strengthen the UNDP’s internal and its partners’ capacities for the increasing demand for digital transformation. In addition, SDG AI Lab mobilizes volunteer data scientists under the Supporting Digital Transformation through Volunteerism partnership between UNDP IICPSD and United Nations Volunteers (UNV). Volunteer Data Scientist Initiative connects UNDP teams and data scientists to address development challenges such as Covid-19, disaster response, poverty, climate change and others.
The objective of the Data Science Fellowship is to provide the opportunity to work on how to deploy frontier technologies on development issues. In particular, the Fellow will contribute to development and implementation of software projects, managing both front and back-end work
Duties and Responsibilities
The Fellow will assist in the following duties and responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities
% of time
Support development and implementation of software projects for sustainable development:
• Develop and implement software projects
• Collaborate with the partners in identifying their needs and translating into technical requirements.
• Continuously support the ongoing web engineering projects and activities of the SDG AI Lab.
Ensure compliance of SDG AI Lab with internal policies and industry practices:
- Strong knowledge and skills in Python, SQL Server, Linux
- Experience using HTTP/2, Web Sockets, and writing RESTful APIs and services
- Applied knowledge and experience in using Software Development tools including JIRA, Git and GitHub
- Ability to effectively use cloud service(s) such as AWS, Google Cloud or Microsoft Azure
- Hands on experience with Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD)
- Experience with using Docker Containers to run and deploy web applications
- Functional knowledge and experience in software development principles, practices, and documentation such as System Requirements Specification (SRS) document
- Working knowledge and experience in Agile Project Management and Scrum Methodologies
- Fluent in English with excellent reading and writing skills is required.
- Proficiency in Turkish is an asset
Other competencies and attitudes:
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation
- Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Required Skills and Experience
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- currently enrolled in a postgraduate programme (such as a master's programme or higher)
- have graduated no longer than 2 years ago from a university degree or equivalent studies.
Field of study: Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Management or equivalent.