UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Ending Violence against Women (EVAW) section is part of the Policy Division at UN Women Headquarters in New York. The section is responsible for a number of functions including policy and technical advice to regional and country offices on EVAW, supporting the normative work on EVAW at the global level and developing and managing global level programmes.
The Spotlight Initiative is a global partnership between the UN and the EU to eliminate all forms of Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG). It was launched on 20 September 2017 at a high-level event during the 72nd UN General Assembly. Capitalized by an initial commitment of €500 million from the EU, the Initiative is a visible political and financial investment in multilateralism. The Spotlight Initiative is a way for the United Nations and European Union to support a comprehensive approach to preventing and responding to VAWG in target countries and do so in innovative and new ways.
The UN Women EVAW section is seeking multiple interns to support in knowledge management, communications, Coordination and M&E, Data and Research related tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Policy and Programme Advisor/Policy Specialists or Analysts and working in close coordination with the section staff, the intern will support one or more of the below outlined areas of responsibility.
- Support basic communications design needs and provide new ideas on communications for the section, including development of social media assets
- Support with the implementation of the EVAW communications strategy and updating the EVAW communications plan
- Provide coordination support with the communications section
- Support implementation of other specific communications related activities as needed
- Maintain online repositories up to date, such as updating the EVAW calendar with key events, learning activities and maintaining the list of EVAW Focal Points as needed
- Knowledge management and production
- Identify and map existing and new knowledge management products and connect with visibility/communication and dissemination opportunities
- Support work on strengthening the EVAW virtual knowledge center (VKC)
- Collate lessons and information from Country Offices and Reginal Offices to strengthen planned products
- Support conceptualization, development and finalization of knowledge products for different projects and programmes
- Coordination and Monitoring & Reporting support
- Support coordination mechanisms around UN Women’s role on EVAW
- Provide coordination support for key moments, events, etc.
- Support monitoring of developments in key spaces related to EVAW
- Update the Inventory of UN activities on EVAW
- Support monitoring and reporting requirements of the EVAW section, including on different programmes/projects.
- Data management and research support
- Support research on emerging areas of work to inform new policy papers and documentation.
- Carry out data validation and tagging for the UN Women Spotlight Activity visualization platform.
- Support data maintenance and tagging activities for the roster tracking system for the EVAW roster of experts.
- Support development of data visualization products
- Update financial and thematic analysis of the Spotlight Initiative
- Support the collation of relevant data for strengthened reporting and visualization
In addition to the above the interns will have the following learning objectives for the duration of the internship:
- Gain insight on strategies and approaches for Ending Violence against Women (EVAW) and UN Women’s role and mandate in this regard.
- Gain experience and understanding of the work of the UN system and UN Women.
- Understand the linkages and importance of knowledge generation, systematization and capacity development efforts.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf
- Knowledge of advancing gender equality or ending violence against women
- Aptitude in dealing with data and information with high accuracy
- Strong attention to detail
- Technologically adept
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft (MS) office applications,in particular MS excel
- Knowledge of data management and research tools is an asset
- Interest in communications for development
- Knowledge of SharePoint is an asset
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Team player with strong inter-personnel skills
- Communications and visibility or story writing skills are desired
Required Skills and Experience
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: international development, law, political science, gender studies, social work, knowledge management, communications, statistics, communications or other similar subject at the university level.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of Spanish or French is a strong advantage.